d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > I Want To Post Here More > Consumer Technology's Future Impact
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,900.49
Feb 13 2017 11:06pm
I do, but every time I come here I just cannot think of something to post about and all the threads don't interest me, too much shit about some random, inconsequential news happening for me to give a shit.

So here's a set of questions for a thread:

I: What do you guys think the future of consumer electronic technology will do to our culture?

II: Would you let your children indulge in some form of "electronic babysitting", i.e. tablet, phone, computer, whatever?

I recently got rid of my smart phone to go back to using a flip phone because I found my self staring at the mother fucker all day every day and felt like I got a kind of high from using it. I would always have some inquiry that I wanted to check on or had some other random pay off to satisfy by using it, be it checking facebook, instagram, facefuck dot com, whatever.

To a large degree I feel like it has worked. I don't check my phone nearly as much when I'm out and the compulsions I used to have have somewhat dissuaded, which I am happy about. I find ultimately that people don't spend the huge amounts of money used to develop these phones and applications for no reason, they're very good at capitalizing what kind of compulsory habits humans have and using data to make them more and more effective as time goes by.

Ultimately I believe that technology will likely go into an even more immersive set of interactions, where instead of being glued to checking your phone you'll be able to more or less sync your actual consciousness into the devices/platforms/whatever; which is even more horrifying, to me anyway.

Hell, I have a third question now that I've done some writing here:

III. Do you think there will be a breaking point where we acknowledge too much immersion and take a step back from this kind of technology, or is it forever going to progress forward?

This subject has been on the forefront of my mind for a while now for a few reasons, the first is that I have seen how the technology warps most interactions in my life, from dealing with coworkers, friends, family, etc. and second, I have found out that I will be having a child and I can't help but think about the kind of upbringing he or she (hopefully he) will have versus my own. Gone are the days where a child will know what it's like to exist without being linked to a massive, global network of people and information. I personally will try and keep my child away from those kinds of things because it scares the living shit out of me that he or she will literally never know any different than to have the ability to pull out a phone, watch, whatever the Hell we have and be linked in to such a huge mass.

Eh.

This post was edited by Kamahl16 on Feb 13 2017 11:07pm
Gold: 260.11
Feb 13 2017 11:11pm
I think that after a certain point there's going to be a backlash against immersion in technology. It's useful, but it's far less fulfilling and I don't think the general public is as blind to it as some would suspect. It's great that we have a way to get instant information, it frees up parts of our brains to do actual work instead of storing and memorizing information.

Personally I'm not going to let my kids do much as far as convenient technology, such as smartphones and tablets. I'll let them play video games though, but probably just the classics. There's a big difference between playing a difficult game like the original super mario, and playing some stupid call of duty FPS.
Gold: 28,296.69
Feb 13 2017 11:12pm
usually 3 times a year for 30-45+ days at a time I go dark from technology other than emergency phone calls

I only have a phone and internet because of work otherwise I wouldn't have either

this is the only site I use to interact with randoms

I dislike the phone culture significantly. I don't associate with anyone that isn't able to put the fucker down during irl stuff

I think we will get to a point (some already have) of putting themselves in technology timeouts in some form or another to begin to experience and feel again
Gold: 2,900.49
Feb 13 2017 11:20pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 14 2017 05:11am)
I think that after a certain point there's going to be a backlash against immersion in technology. It's useful, but it's far less fulfilling and I don't think the general public is as blind to it as some would suspect. It's great that we have a way to get instant information, it frees up parts of our brains to do actual work instead of storing and memorizing information.

Personally I'm not going to let my kids do much as far as convenient technology, such as smartphones and tablets. I'll let them play video games though, but probably just the classics. There's a big difference between playing a difficult game like the original super mario, and playing some stupid call of duty FPS.

Technology ought to be a way of making our lives easier or perhaps enhancing it, as you said, but I find it is dangerously close to defining our lives now and I believe we're going nowhere but closer to that new way of assessing "happiness" as technology becomes more of a hugely acceptable societal drug than a tool, which is what it ought to be.

I'm no less guilty than anyone else, honestly.
Gold: 152.00
Feb 13 2017 11:21pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 14 2017 12:11am)

>implying super mario bros. is more difficult than call of duty
Gold: 260.11
Feb 13 2017 11:23pm
Quote (Kamahl16 @ Feb 13 2017 11:20pm)
Technology ought to be a way of making our lives easier or perhaps enhancing it, as you said, but I find it is dangerously close to defining our lives now and I believe we're going nowhere but closer to that new way of assessing "happiness" as technology becomes more of a hugely acceptable societal drug than a tool, which is what it ought to be.

I'm no less guilty than anyone else, honestly.

I've done well to not become addicted to my phone. Sometimes I get a game I play for a month or two, but that's really no different than my spurts of posting on here, or my watching Starcraft games on youtube. It doesn't have anything to do with my phone.

I'll go several hours without even thinking about it, and I'm probably the only one at work who actually leaves it in the office like we're supposed to.

Gold: 200.83
Feb 14 2017 12:40am
Quote (Voyaging @ Feb 13 2017 09:21pm)
>implying super mario bros. is more difficult than call of duty

can super mario bros even 360 no-scope?
Gold: 1,253.69
Feb 14 2017 12:41am
HERE WE GO TRUMP TRUMP
HERE WE GO

OOH OOH

HERE WE GO TRUMP TRUMP
HERE WE GO OOH OOH