d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Meanwhile, At The Other End
Prev14567818Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
Jan 6 2017 06:27pm
Quote (ChrisKz @ Jan 6 2017 06:24pm)
Most degrees are a joke on the bachelor level, only spoken of that way in comparison to their graduate or doctorate counterparts.... Smart people are smart no matter what they take, and will exceed and make those things seem easy. Having to memorize shit through long study hours doesn't make something hard, instead it proves how easy it is and how anybody can do it.

Math, physics, chemistry... How is any of this critical thinking on any level in terms of bachelor level classes? You don't do research... You test things that we already know are true...

If you were talking about biology I would agree about the memorizing part, but chemistry physics math computer science, all the hard sciences are more building a conceptual framework than memorizing facts. You can memorize your way to a C, but that's about it.

Also it's pretty funny that you think these degrees don't require research as a graduation requirement. You might as well just be telling me that you know absolutely nothing about the curriculum. Then again that's basically all English Majors do, talk in fluffy language about things they have no real clue about.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jan 6 2017 06:27pm
Jan 6 2017 06:29pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jan 6 2017 06:25pm)
Nothing wrong with English majors. Stop trying to pretend that you are smarter than others. Just because you're getting a science/technical degree doesn't make you any smarter than someone taking something like English. You regurgitate information handed to you on a silver platter by your teachers & textbooks, not much critical thinking there. I respect, appreciate and value science but don't be a snob thinking you're superior to others.

I love when people who have no idea what's in the curriculum try to criticize it. When you say the hard Sciences are just memorizing you might as well just be typing Herp Derp I have never taken a science class above introductory-level.

However you're right, I'm not smart because I'm getting a technical degree, I'm smart because I'm smart. My major has nothing to do with that.
Gold: 11,571.00
Jan 6 2017 06:34pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jan 6 2017 05:29pm)
I love when people who have no idea what's in the curriculum try to criticize it. When you say the hard Sciences are just memorizing you might as well just be typing Herp Derp I have never taken a science class above introductory-level.

However you're right, I'm not smart because I'm getting a technical degree, I'm smart because I'm smart. My major has nothing to do with that.

Yes, i'v never taken any science courses in college nor do i have friends that are getting science degrees. It's not like i was a bio-chem* major in high school and took 8 science courses in 4 years.

If we're talking about undergrad, pray do tell what groundbreaking science work you've done? Did you not memorize a bunch of things and apply them in the way you were taught?

If someone came up to me and told me, you have 5 years to either learn how to write prose or 5 years to be ready to do research in the science field, i would choose the latter in a heartbeat because it's much easier of a task.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Jan 6 2017 06:38pm
Gold: 451.00
Jan 6 2017 06:39pm
Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Jan 6 2017 05:22pm)
Yes, that's definitely a single sentence in a 27 page study which totally undercuts the conclusions that while there's a lot more data to be had, there are very good reasons to point to racism as part of the disparity.

But hey, why bother reading or learning anything today? You can just dive through, find a sentence that kinda sorta ambiguously agrees with you, and then pretend that you have any idea what the fuck you're talking about.

It's funny how I made you mad enough to read it and then take its conclusions seriously enough to quote, tho. I thought there was nothing to be learned from a study from 2000?

My self esteem derives from the fact that I'm brilliant, incredibly attractive and have a huge penis. I argue on the Internet because it's fun. Feel free to join the fan club and talk about me as a person coz you can't address facts tho, send your FG dues to ChrisKz.

bwahahahahaha

It's how us terrible, terrible cyberbullies roll. :(

Again, you're an English major who's about to graduate and who can barely type coherent English.

This is pretty much just projection at this point. :(

Mad?

I have 10 minute ques searching for games.

Also, if those are the things you derive your self-worth from then you must feel pretty awful about yourself since none of them are remotely true. This is also supported by the fact that you think arguing on the internet is fun. See again: Pathetic.

I really have a hard time believing there is a single person on this forum (or in person, for that matter) who doesn't on some level feel pity for you.

110,000 posts. I've seen you mention your husband and kid/career on here on more than one occasion but I'm pretty sure you're a 300 pound dude livin with your mom. Like damn...PM me if you need someone to talk to. I will put you in touch with one of those suicide hotlines or something.
Gold: 451.00
Jan 6 2017 06:41pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jan 6 2017 05:25pm)
Nothing wrong with English majors. Stop trying to pretend that you are smarter than others. Just because you're getting a science/technical degree doesn't make you any smarter than someone taking something like English. You regurgitate information handed to you on a silver platter by your teachers & textbooks, not much critical thinking there. I respect, appreciate and value science but don't be a snob thinking you're superior to others.

uhhh.........If that is really how you think science academics work then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you my friend. Even the smartest people in these classes struggle with the information being given to them, and have to spend a lot of extra time in office hours trying to figure the information "handed on a silver platter" out.
Jan 6 2017 06:45pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jan 6 2017 06:34pm)
Yes, i'v never taken any science courses in college nor do i have friends that are getting science degrees. It's not like i was a bio-chem* major in high school and took 8 science courses in 4 years.

If we're talking about undergrad, pray do tell what groundbreaking science work you've done? Did you not memorize a bunch of things and apply them in the way you were taught?

If someone came up to me and told me, you have 5 years to either learn how to write prose or 5 years to be ready to do research in the science field, i would choose the latter in a heartbeat because it's much easier of a task.

Don't get me wrong there's definitely memorizing and science courses, but memorizing basically gets you to a C.

I never said you do groundbreaking research as an undergrad, I said you did research. Believe It or Not research involves a lot of critical thinking and creativity even if it isn't groundbreaking. This might come as a surprise but 99% of all research isn't groundbreaking, and groundbreaking research tends to get overturned.

Also you don't become a master of writing prose as an English major, frequently you just do a small amount of work and get a degree. So your comparison is flawed.
Gold: 22,720.48
Jan 6 2017 06:46pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jan 6 2017 07:45pm)
Don't get me wrong there's definitely memorizing and science courses, but memorizing basically gets you to a C.

I never said you do groundbreaking research as an undergrad, I said you did research. Believe It or Not research involves a lot of critical thinking and creativity even if it isn't groundbreaking. This might come as a surprise but 99% of all research isn't groundbreaking, and groundbreaking research tends to get overturned.

Also you don't become a master of writing prose as an English major, frequently you just do a small amount of work and get a degree. So your comparison is flawed.

It's also funny because Chris is the one that constantly brings up his english major as if it will ward off any criticism for how he posts.
Gold: 11,571.00
Jan 6 2017 06:46pm
Quote (Perseverance1 @ Jan 6 2017 05:41pm)
uhhh.........If that is really how you think science academics work then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you my friend. Even the smartest people in these classes struggle with the information being given to them, and have to spend a lot of extra time in office hours trying to figure the information "handed on a silver platter" out.

I know it's not easy, nor am i claiming it's easy. All i'm saying is with enough time it can be learned. I took one math course during my first bachelors and i used to be dreadfully scared of math. Now i'm taking calculus and i'm going for math-heavy degree. On the other if you would of asked me to write a book that's not absolute trash it might take me a lifetime to do so.

Quote (Thor123422 @ Jan 6 2017 05:45pm)

Most of the time at the undergrad level the only creativity you are doing is zeroing in on exactly what field/sub field you will focus your studies on. Of course if you are a molecular biologist, you pretty much know what sub field you will be focusing your studies in grad school. You use previously established methods of research and you build your research on work that has largely already been established. If you are some true genius, you will make a mark in graduate school not in undergraduate so spare me the creativity you do in undergrad when you're just deciding exactly what you want to study.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Jan 6 2017 06:53pm
Jan 6 2017 06:47pm
Quote (Arsenic_Touch @ Jan 6 2017 06:46pm)
It's also funny because Chris is the one that constantly brings up his english major as if it will ward off any criticism for how he posts.

I really enjoyed Chris's posting, mostly because he confirms every stereotype about English Majors I've ever seen. He has no idea what he's doing, is confident that he knows exactly what he's talking about, and really knows nothing about the world, science, and probably knows nothing about any subject he's actually written about.

Gold: 1.69
Jan 6 2017 06:56pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ 6 Jan 2017 20:46)
I know it's not easy, nor am i claiming it's easy. All i'm saying is with enough time it can be learned. I took one math course during my first bachelors and i used to be dreadfully scared of math. Now i'm taking calculus and i'm going for math-heavy degree. On the other if you would of asked me to write a book that's not absolute trash it might take me a lifetime to do so.

Most of the time at the undergrad level the only creativity you are doing is zeroing in on exactly what field/sub field you will focus your studies on. Of course if you are a molecular biologist, you pretty much know what sub field you will be focusing your studies in grad school. You use previously established methods of research and you build your research on work that has largely already been established. If you are some true genius, you will make a mark in graduate school not in undergraduate so spare me the creativity you do in undergrad when you're just deciding exactly what you want to study.

Somebody who gets it. Nice.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14567818Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll