d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Agree Or Disagree
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 28,296.69
Sep 22 2016 08:49am
as long as doesn't cause harm or damage to a person or their property I support a person's right to protest however they see fit

After discussing with veterans he started taking a knee and others raise a fist or lock arms. This shows to me a maturity and willingness to listen that I also support.

"find another way to protest" is a bullshit position. Protests shouldn't be comfortable
Gold: 2,620.00
Sep 22 2016 11:33am
Quote (IceMage @ 22 Sep 2016 03:01)
I think that if some white Christian players decided to not stand for the national anthem because of the gay marriage decision the league and the media wouldn't have reacted in a similar way. I'm guessing the league would come out strongly ridiculing the action and the media would have conversations about how a certain segment of the population is still homophobic and backwards.

But hey, the white supremacist patriarchy only goes so far.

I'm not sure about that. In the NBA, yes, but in the NFL, not so certain.

The NFL and football culture have much stronger ties to Christianity and traditionalism than say the culture of basketball. I don't think many NFL owners or players would come out and accuse the gay marriage protestors of being homophobic - perhaps just disrespectful to the flag and our country.

But the media, yeah, they would probably run with it like you are describing.

Personally, I'm absolutely fine with these protests. In fact, it makes me happy that we live in a country where we can have the freedom of speech to do stuff like this and spark a national debate and conversation.
Gold: 3.33
Sep 22 2016 11:37am
Quote (IceMage @ Sep 22 2016 09:01am)
I think that if some white Christian players decided to not stand for the national anthem because of the gay marriage decision the league and the media wouldn't have reacted in a similar way. I'm guessing the league would come out strongly ridiculing the action and the media would have conversations about how a certain segment of the population is still homophobic and backwards.

'Not being able to discriminate against other people based on our interpretation of Christian morality means we're being discriminated against!'
Gold: 2,489.69
Sep 22 2016 11:40am
Quote (IceMage @ Sep 22 2016 02:01am)

There are no afaik deaths attributed to gay marriage though, nor has it changed your place in line for heaven. So what exactly would be the gripe worth discounting the flag when 9 people made that decision?
Gold: 0.00
Sep 22 2016 11:56am
Quote (tommyd323 @ Sep 22 2016 01:44am)
Friend (member of airforce) made a Facebook video on the subject which has 1400 views and quite a few shares so far. I of course was one of the leading arguments. I'd link you guys to it if I could trust that jsp wouldn't have some weirdos messaging people, etc. :zzz:

Anyway I want to know your guys thoughts on the situation and I'd like to see some debating.

Sure you were one of the "leading arguments". Yet you don't share that argument here.

MRW people put video direct to FB, instead of putting it on YT and linking it to FB:

This post was edited by Surfpunk on Sep 22 2016 11:57am
Gold: 5,016.77
Sep 22 2016 12:00pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Sep 22 2016 12:40pm)
There are no afaik deaths attributed to gay marriage though, nor has it changed your place in line for heaven. So what exactly would be the gripe worth discounting the flag when 9 people made that decision?

The American flag now represents a country that has turned it's back on the traditional, Biblical definition of marriage. Just because 9 people made the final decision doesn't mean they are the only ones to blame. If NFL players decided to not stand because of that, they would be treated much differently, because in popular culture holding Christian beliefs is not praised.
Sep 22 2016 12:05pm
Quote (IceMage @ Sep 22 2016 12:00pm)
The American flag now represents a country that has turned it's back on the traditional, Biblical definition of marriage. Just because 9 people made the final decision doesn't mean they are the only ones to blame. If NFL players decided to not stand because of that, they would be treated much differently, because in popular culture holding Christian beliefs is not praised.

Or perhaps its the other untouched part of my post where lives are lost in one scenario and feelings are hurt in the other. Your salvation isn't tied to either the flag or another person's. Kaep's protest says plainly I am not an american under that flag because im not an equal to other Americans. You protest says i don't like that other people get to do something that i disagree with that doesn't effect me, it doesn't even make you unequal. You can spin the issue into christian beliefs not being praised but even that is a hard argument to make given proper score, Christian beliefs that effect others when they shouldn't are rightfully not praised. Christian morality is still present in most aspects of collective morality.
Sep 22 2016 12:20pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Sep 22 2016 01:05pm)
Or perhaps its the other untouched part of my post where lives are lost in one scenario and feelings are hurt in the other. Your salvation isn't tied to either the flag or another person's. Kaep's protest says plainly I am not an american under that flag because im not an equal to other Americans. You protest says i don't like that other people get to do something that i disagree with that doesn't effect me, it doesn't even make you unequal. You can spin the issue into christian beliefs not being praised but even that is a hard argument to make given proper score, Christian beliefs that effect others when they shouldn't are rightfully not praised. Christian morality is still present in most aspects of collective morality.

It was untouched because the point of my post was not to argue the validity of the hypothetical protest, but rather to focus on the NFL and media reaction. Do you really expect me to respond to your straw man?
Sep 22 2016 12:26pm
Quote (IceMage @ Sep 22 2016 12:20pm)
It was untouched because the point of my post was not to argue the validity of the hypothetical protest, but rather to focus on the NFL and media reaction. Do you really expect me to respond to your straw man?

They're one in the same, the NFL and media response is tied to the validity of the protest. Or do you think the NFL should fine players equally for a helmet to helmet that they do for a well documented use history and positive PED tests?
Sep 22 2016 01:16pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Sep 22 2016 01:26pm)
They're one in the same, the NFL and media response is tied to the validity of the protest. Or do you think the NFL should fine players equally for a helmet to helmet that they do for a well documented use history and positive PED tests?

Not entirely true. The NFL and San Francisco basically said that they respect our flag and our country but also respect a player's choice to protest the anthem. They didn't comment on the validity of the issue he's protesting for, but simply his right to protest in general. I don't believe a Christian protesting because of the gay marriage decision would get the same treatment.

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll