d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Which Is More Dangerous For Women? > Fox News Or College Campuses
Prev15678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5,016.77
Aug 23 2016 07:47pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Aug 23 2016 08:43pm)
There is no "real" definition of marriage. It's just a word.

I'm sure you believe that is true...
Gold: 260.11
Aug 23 2016 07:51pm
Quote (IceMage @ Aug 23 2016 07:47pm)
I'm sure you believe that is true...

Facts is facts. Sorry if you don't like it. Call it something else if you want, but society had marriage before Christianity and Judaism came along to incorporate yet another tradition.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 23 2016 07:54pm
She deserved it...

... for joining Fox News.
Gold: 252.29
Aug 23 2016 07:55pm
Quote (KublaiKhan @ Aug 24 2016 01:54am)
She deserved it...

... for joining Fox News.

She can't say she didn't know what was involved with the job.
Gold: 2,617.52
Aug 23 2016 07:57pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Aug 23 2016 09:51pm)
Facts is facts. Sorry if you don't like it. Call it something else if you want, but society had marriage before Christianity and Judaism came along to incorporate yet another tradition.

This post was edited by EndlessSky on Aug 23 2016 07:58pm
Aug 23 2016 07:58pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Aug 23 2016 08:51pm)

Society had God before it fully realized who God actually was. Learn to theology mate.
Gold: 252.29
Aug 23 2016 08:00pm
Quote (IceMage @ Aug 24 2016 01:58am)
Society had God before it fully realized who God actually was. Learn to theology mate.

I am god.

What are you going to do about it?
Gold: 2,620.00
Aug 23 2016 08:09pm
Quote (IceMage @ 23 Aug 2016 20:37)
So shall I wage a political war against divorce, or sex before marriage, or drug use, or theft, or selfishness, or what? Christian's fight when there is a fight to be had.

Yeah, I guess society is going to absolute shit in a lot of ways from the Christian perspective. Too many fronts to fight, so I guess you're right that you gotta pick and choose your battles.

Quote (IceMage @ 23 Aug 2016 20:37)
The issues are decided for the foreseeable future.

But if that's the case, and the issues really are decided for the foreseeable future, why fight the battle on abortion? Like gay marriage, that issue was decided by the Supreme Court (albeit a while back ago).

I understand the picking and choosing your battles aspect of all this, but I don't think it's true to say that the issues are decided for the foreseeable future. Seems like a way to reduce inner-conflict to me.

With enough effort, some of these decisions and issues could be reversed back in the Christian favor. But I imagine it would take electing a Republican president to nominate Conservative SCOTUS Justices to do that....but hey, we got a vacancy in the SCOTUS right now...and Hillary Clinton sure as hell won't nominate the types of Justices that will do what the religious right probably wants the SCOTUS to do.
Aug 23 2016 08:14pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Aug 23 2016 09:09pm)
Yeah, I guess society is going to absolute shit in a lot of ways from the Christian perspective. Too many fronts to fight, so I guess you're right that you gotta pick and choose your battles.

But if that's the case, and the issues really are decided for the foreseeable future, why fight the battle on abortion? Like gay marriage, that issue was decided by the Supreme Court (albeit a while back ago).

I understand the picking and choosing your battles aspect of all this, but I don't think it's true to say that the issues are decided for the foreseeable future. Seems like a way to reduce inner-conflict to me.

With enough effort, some of these decisions and issues could be reversed back in the Christian favor. But I imagine it would take electing a Republican president to nominate Conservative SCOTUS Justices to do that....but hey, we got a vacancy in the SCOTUS right now...and Hillary Clinton sure as hell won't nominate the types of Justices that will do what the religious right probably wants the SCOTUS to do.

You don't seem capable of having a historical perspective... society didn't start abandoning Christian values when you started paying attention to politics. People turn away from God in their own way every generation.

The law of the land permits abortion and gay marriage. Christian's will fight legally when it makes sense and fight morally on the ground forever.

This post was edited by IceMage on Aug 23 2016 08:16pm
Gold: 2,620.00
Aug 23 2016 08:23pm
Quote (IceMage @ 23 Aug 2016 21:14)
You don't seem capable of having a historical perspective... society didn't start abandoning Christian values when you turned started paying attention to politics. People turn away from God in their own way every generation.

The law of the land permits abortion and gay marriage. Christian's will fight legally when it makes sense and fight morally on the ground forever.

I've got historical perspective on a lot of this, at least more than you might suspect. Half the time I'm just fucking with you or messing around.

On the issue of abortion...I definitely understand the pro-life movement and have tried to explain it to many of the pro-choice people I'm friends with that are so infuriated with the pro-life movement.

I mean think about, if you really thought abortion was murder, then there are almost one million murders of innocent babies that takes place each year in the US. That's horrifying. It makes complete sense to me why this would be like the fight of the century and a huge deal to the religious right.

A lot of this is just being able to see the perspective of the other side. I think most of us have noticed that you've moved further to the left (or center) on a couple issues over the past few months (or at least have been more vocal about some stuff), whether it be because Trump is a ridiculous candidate and has exposed some of the BS of the GOP or that Widow is gone, but I'm just trying to point out that religion sometimes doesn't leave much room for reasonable compromise on various issues, especially when you consider that this is a nation that prohibits the establishment of any state religion.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev15678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll