d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > What Actually Creates Jobs?
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,271.48
Aug 19 2016 12:52am
Quote (Voyaging @ Aug 19 2016 12:21am)
I mean that most people don't work at all because there is nothing productive for them to do, thanks to narrow AI and automation. As above the entertainment and art fields might be the only exceptions. Possibly certain sects of the service industry, where people desire a human touch. Human labor is soon going to be obsolete. This is why a basic minimum income will be an imperative.

Double post.

This post was edited by remco6 on Aug 19 2016 12:58am
Gold: 7,271.48
Aug 19 2016 12:54am
Quote (Voyaging @ Aug 19 2016 12:21am)
I mean that most people don't work at all because there is nothing productive for them to do, thanks to narrow AI and automation. As above the entertainment and art fields might be the only exceptions. Possibly certain sects of the service industry, where people desire a human touch. Human labor is soon going to be obsolete. This is why a basic minimum income will be an imperative.

Ah, I don't believe that is happening anytime soon to the degree that all or even most human labor is obsolete. Constructing new buildings will not be automated anytime soon. Combines may drive themselves but where and when will require human direction. By soon you imagine 100 years or less? I see a collapse of the technological industrial society as we know it and a reversion back into a agrarian society more likely than machines that can build our houses , plant and harvest our crops.

A society where we all work less to split the work there is to do seems likely.

This post was edited by remco6 on Aug 19 2016 12:59am
Gold: 181.99
Aug 19 2016 01:04am
Quote (Voyaging @ Aug 18 2016 04:45pm)
Nothing anymore, we need to create a post-job society extremely soon, where the majority of people don't work but still are provided for because soon there will be far fewer jobs than people.
  
Gold: 181.99
Aug 19 2016 01:14am
Quote (remco6 @ Aug 18 2016 11:54pm)
Ah, I don't believe that is happening anytime soon to the degree that all or even most human labor is obsolete.

Most human labor is already obsolete. I don't know how you could strictly quantify this, but if you take it as looking in history at all the labor we've had to perform to fulfill our existence, we no longer have to do the majority of it.

A collapse of industrial society into agrarian society could happen due to global nuclear war or global natural catastrophe such as from excessive global warming or some sort of impact event. If things on Earth go "steadily" I don't see that happening though.

Quote (remco6 @ Aug 18 2016 11:54pm)

I think this will happen (which is literally communism, by the way) where the amount of work will be so low that it won't even be thought of as "work" or "having a job" anymore. Automation is already amazing and will continue to improve.
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Aug 19 2016 01:36am
Quote (Skinned @ Aug 18 2016 01:48pm)
Literally nobody thought that cutting taxes would create more jobs. The Republican leaders in the Congress are lying when they say this; they do not believe it.

They were members of their villages who were touched by the spirits or gods. They achieve altered states of consciousness without the use of drugs. Also it tends to present during early adulthood, which would be around the time somebody would realistically think about becoming a shaman. In all actuality these people may have been thought of as very fortunate.

The West wasn't much different. It wasn't until leprosy ended and all the asylums were empty that anybody gave a second thought to the mad...all that moral energy needed to go somewhere. For them visiting Bedlam was entertainment.

We have astro priests nowaday, so much better than shamans

http://www.wired.com/2002/12/pope-astro/
Gold: 4.37
Aug 19 2016 06:03am
Legalization of cannabis would be the easiest way to create mass jobs.

Farmers
Farming equipment
Farmer laborers
Indoor growing equipment
Packaging supplies and transportation
Storefront retail selling
Cashiers
Retail laborers
Marketing
Market research
Medical research
Medical facility growing laborers
Medical grow equipment
Advertising
General manufacturing
Lawyers
Accounting
HR
Numerous other key role postioms within companys

All of these jobs need people and all equipment needs to be made somewhere

Gold: 285.00
Aug 19 2016 06:38am
Quote (stupidkid282 @ Aug 19 2016 07:03am)
Legalization of cannabis would be the easiest way to create mass jobs.

Farmers
Farming equipment
Farmer laborers
Indoor growing equipment
Packaging supplies and transportation
Storefront retail selling
Cashiers
Retail laborers
Marketing
Market research
Medical research
Medical facility growing laborers
Medical grow equipment
Advertising
General manufacturing
Lawyers
Accounting
HR
Numerous other key role postioms within companys

All of these jobs need people and all equipment needs to be made somewhere

Cats out of the bag now. Legalized marijuana is going to lead to a new class of Hippie Billionaire and it is going to change the political game a lot over time. It won't be evident for awhile, but a legal marijuana billionaire is now in the making in one of these states and they will start to drop serious cheese to influence the outcome of elections.
Gold: 4.37
Aug 19 2016 08:15am
Quote (Skinned @ Aug 19 2016 12:38pm)
Cats out of the bag now. Legalized marijuana is going to lead to a new class of Hippie Billionaire and it is going to change the political game a lot over time. It won't be evident for awhile, but a legal marijuana billionaire is now in the making in one of these states and they will start to drop serious cheese to influence the outcome of elections.

There will always be people who profit and become rich, have potential power and say. You need to relieve yourself of the stereotype that cannabis users are all hippies. It's a legitimate business now, or at least it's trying to be. I don't even use and I greatly see the enormous value that it will have on economy.
Gold: 57.00
Aug 19 2016 08:17am
demand
Gold: 1,152.00
Aug 19 2016 02:50pm
Quote (remco6 @ Aug 19 2016 02:54am)
Ah, I don't believe that is happening anytime soon to the degree that all or even most human labor is obsolete. Constructing new buildings will not be automated anytime soon. Combines may drive themselves but where and when will require human direction. By soon you imagine 100 years or less? I see a collapse of the technological industrial society as we know it and a reversion back into a agrarian society more likely than machines that can build our houses , plant and harvest our crops.

100 years or less, yes that would be a reasonable estimate, maybe as little as 50 years for 80% of the current human work is automated. But of course we can only guess.

Narrow AI is more than sufficient to self-direct a combine harvester, just as it already is with autonomous cars. Constructing new buildings will also be automated almost entirely outside of the design part.

I can't imagine what would spur on a reversion to an agrarian society.

Splitting the work is indeed one possibility.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll