d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > What Actually Creates Jobs?
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Aug 18 2016 05:53pm
Quote (Skinned @ Aug 18 2016 06:52pm)
Maybe Americans will start sneaking into Mexico for work.

Maybe corporations "Moving down there" is a diversion plan to get them the fuck out of here
Gold: 633.87
Aug 18 2016 08:48pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Aug 18 2016 03:48pm)
what policies would support this? more cash in the hands of poor people as they're more likely to spend it was the answer i've heard before
that is, tax cuts at the bottom, not at the top

The assumption here is that spending more money is always the most conducive path to growth. Is that true?

This post was edited by bogie160 on Aug 18 2016 08:49pm
Gold: 12,730.67
Aug 18 2016 09:12pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Aug 18 2016 03:45pm)
Nothing anymore, we need to create a post-job society extremely soon, where the majority of people don't work but still are provided for because soon there will be far fewer jobs than people.

Productive jobs, maybe. We're still a long ways away from there though. People need some sort of purpose though so it wouldn't surprise me if "unnecessary" jobs are created just to keep folks busy.
Gold: 633.87
Aug 18 2016 09:27pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Aug 18 2016 06:45pm)
Nothing anymore, we need to create a post-job society extremely soon, where the majority of people don't work but still are provided for because soon there will be far fewer jobs than people.

There were servants before, and there will be servants again before all things are done.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 18 2016 10:06pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Aug 18 2016 03:45pm)
if you're like me and your main concern is job creation when it comes to who you're going to vote for it's probably worthwhile to take a look at where jobs actually come from

article from forbes on the matter as i start digging into this subject,

the bolded i had assumed to be true from several years of experience in the private sector as large well established corporations tend to move towards job cuts and offshoring to improve profit margins in lieu of taking risks to create new revenue streams (which would create more jobs)

if what i'm reading is true i'll probably support whoever is more likely to enact policies that allow startups to flourish - this would probably tie into greater funding for research at colleges

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/2014/10/29/the-surprising-truth-about-where-new-jobs-come-from/#2a522a9a47d9

less regulation , less mass incarceration for petty crimes, stop building bombs and start spending on people etc

This post was edited by Eric021 on Aug 18 2016 10:06pm
Gold: 7,271.48
Aug 18 2016 11:07pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Aug 18 2016 05:45pm)

Do you mean everyone works less? When phrased like you did I imagine some sort of world where menial type labor workers that provides nesseceities such as food / shelter are second class citizens who exist as slaves basicly.
Gold: 5,169.82
Aug 19 2016 12:06am
It would be a beautiful world if anyone had a definitive answer to this question.

In the end, it's a combination of many factors. Businesses need to be free enough so that they be can be competitive, poverty needs to be battled so that everyone can be a potential customer for every potential product, etc. If you go zero government control style, the rich will end up eating the poor and your job market will collapse. If you go 100% government control style, your businesses will leave your country and your job market will collapse. The only solution is a nice balance between the two.
Gold: 0.69
Warn: 50%
Aug 19 2016 12:09am
Adding more days to the week

#MakeAmericaGreatAgain
Gold: 1,152.00
Aug 19 2016 12:21am
Quote (thundercock @ Aug 18 2016 11:12pm)
Productive jobs, maybe. We're still a long ways away from there though. People need some sort of purpose though so it wouldn't surprise me if "unnecessary" jobs are created just to keep folks busy.

Yeah that's definitely a possibility. Entertainment and art in particular seem like the fields where nearly all jobs could eventually exist, possibly. But i think it's inevitable that with increasing automation that we'll need to develop a universal basic income.

People are getting upset at manufacturing jobs disappearing as if it's a temporary problem and you've got people like Trump fooling them into thinking they can be brought back. They're gone for good and they're going to keep disappearing.

Quote (remco6 @ Aug 19 2016 01:07am)
Do you mean everyone works less? When phrased like you did I imagine some sort of world where menial type labor workers that provides nesseceities such as food / shelter are second class citizens who exist as slaves basicly.

I mean that most people don't work at all because there is nothing productive for them to do, thanks to narrow AI and automation. As above the entertainment and art fields might be the only exceptions. Possibly certain sects of the service industry, where people desire a human touch. Human labor is soon going to be obsolete. This is why a basic minimum income will be an imperative.

This post was edited by Voyaging on Aug 19 2016 12:27am
Gold: 5,169.82
Aug 19 2016 12:41am
Quote (Voyaging @ Aug 19 2016 08:21am)
Yeah that's definitely a possibility. Entertainment and art in particular seem like the fields where nearly all jobs could eventually exist, possibly. But i think it's inevitable that with increasing automation that we'll need to develop a universal basic income.

People are getting upset at manufacturing jobs disappearing as if it's a temporary problem and you've got people like Trump fooling them into thinking they can be brought back. They're gone for good and they're going to keep disappearing.

I mean that most people don't work at all because there is nothing productive for them to do, thanks to narrow AI and automation. As above the entertainment and art fields might be the only exceptions. Possibly certain sects of the service industry, where people desire a human touch. Human labor is soon going to be obsolete. This is why a basic minimum income will be an imperative.

As a response to this tendency, Sweden has already reduced its daily work schedule from 8 hours to 6. Wages are all staying the same.

I'm pretty sure that this is quite a shocker to most American conservatives, but there's a realistic chance that most of the civilized world will have 6 hours workdays in 20 years or less.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll