d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Anime > One Punch Man > Get On Board
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.32
Aug 1 2016 01:59pm
Quote (Dragonox @ Jul 31 2016 06:47pm)
Dubbed anime as a whole is pretty much Entry level since it's kind of the major source of new western watchers.
they don't know much about anime so they end up watching dubbed off Netflix, YTV or Toonami etc... because it's easily accessible.
Early experience stuff like DBZ and other dubbed stuff like Yugioh, Beyblade, Card Captor, Sailor Moon etc..
We all mostly start out that way.

Seems to me, anime's get dubbed because they are worth watching/broadcasting to a larger audience if anything. Or adultswim netflix ect. Wouldnt waste the time/money

Simply put to call dubs entry level seems to me like a generalization that attempts to undercut some hugely succesful anime's

Dont get me wrong there are great anime's that arent mainstream as well, but it seems snoby to me to dislike dubbed just based on the fact theyre dubbed, like some hipster bs. Even the japaneese wish they spoke english come on... :rofl:
Gold: 0.07
Aug 1 2016 04:41pm
Honestly, I couldn't quite get into the series.
It appeared to have potential, and it's clearly popular.
But after 2 episodes, I couldn't remain interested.
Is there a point at which it really pulls you in?
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Aug 1 2016 06:22pm
Quote (Molt @ Aug 1 2016 06:41pm)

Go watch my lil pony, you will love it.
Aug 1 2016 06:42pm
Quote (LibertyPrime @ Aug 1 2016 05:22pm)
Go watch my lil pony, you will love it.

Probably a better story tbh.

But still, I intend on giving OPM a chance at some point.
Aug 1 2016 09:12pm
Quote (Molt @ Aug 1 2016 10:41pm)

Well it has a pretty anti climatic type of humor/storyline ,which i think is somthing you either love or hate to be honost. Its very different i can see how it may turn some people on or off from it just as easily

I find it refreshing and unique and really just hilarious
Aug 1 2016 09:40pm
Quote (Zoj @ Aug 1 2016 08:12pm)
Well it has a pretty anti climatic type of humor/storyline ,which i think is somthing you either love or hate to be honost. Its very different i can see how it may turn some people on or off from it just as easily

I find it refreshing and unique and really just hilarious

I appreciate the adequate response.

"Anticlimatic" is a great way to describe it, haha. Humor has never really been my thing in anime, unless it's very subtle, kind of like the way the protagonist of Erased refers to his mom as "yokai" from time to time. One Punch Man was definitely unique in a way I hadn't seen in quite some time. Does the story develop into anything a bit more serious at some point? If the series has such a huge fan base, then there's definitely something that didn't reveal itself just in those first 2 episodes alone.
Gold: 6,000.00
Aug 2 2016 12:24am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Jul 30 2016 09:07am)
Once again, this is a stupid person's opinion who hasn't spent the time to watch enough of both mediums. A lot of the time the sub is just a shittier translation of the same thing being said. Seriously, don't speak on the matter if you haven't watched enough dub to actually see a difference. Some sub are superior, some dub are superior. Trying to say either one is flat-out better makes you an idiot, there is no debating that. It has nothing to do with ease. It has to do with which is better. I can enjoy either because I'm not a snob, but occasionally, the writing for the subbed alternative is just so sub-par that I want to see what the dub is about. Not always, but on occasions the dub version is far superior. There are also plenty of shows where the voice acting is superior in dub>sub.

Edit - The only reason subs are regarded as "better" is because people like yourself, who bash on anyone that watches dub. People are stupid and weak and will eventually conform when pushed enough. That doesn't make it right.

Watching something as it was intended to be watched is mostly why subs are regarded as better.
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Aug 2 2016 08:31am
Quote (672 @ Aug 1 2016 11:24pm)
Watching something as it was intended to be watched is mostly why subs are regarded as better.

It was intended to be watched in Japanese, not with shitty translations that are often inaccurate or dumbed down as much as possible...
Aug 2 2016 11:08am
Quote (Molt @ Aug 2 2016 03:40am)
I appreciate the adequate response.

"Anticlimatic" is a great way to describe it, haha. Humor has never really been my thing in anime, unless it's very subtle, kind of like the way the protagonist of Erased refers to his mom as "yokai" from time to time. One Punch Man was definitely unique in a way I hadn't seen in quite some time. Does the story develop into anything a bit more serious at some point? If the series has such a huge fan base, then there's definitely something that didn't reveal itself just in those first 2 episodes alone.

I appreciate someone who is actually in the topic with interest in the series and not some off topic debate , i like you have only now become interested in opm, so i am only 2 episodes in as well, how ever a few things became clear to me quickly . In most anime's say dbz for instance its repetitive in the sense that say goku will always be in a tough fight time after time he will come up against stronger opponets that while odds may be against him (the viewer in the back of there mind will realize he will pull through on top because he is the main character)

Now in one punch man its almost the exAct opposite where there are no tough opponets and you almost have to accept he will never face an opponet that will challenge him (beyond one punch or he would seize to be the one punch man) this is a plot that really caught my attention as somthing different

One other thing that i really find interesting. Is that he almost has this seperate internal struggle of dealing with the how mundane life has become for him with out a real challenging opponet to face (much like dbz where goku for instance is always excited for a strong fight)

This seperate internal plot became evident and emphasized when saitama has the dream of the mole men or w.e who give him a strong run for his money. I almost like the secondRy internAl plot above the main one

This post was edited by Zoj on Aug 2 2016 11:08am
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Aug 2 2016 11:33am
Quote (Molt @ Aug 1 2016 08:42pm)
Probably a better story tbh.

But still, I intend on giving OPM a chance at some point.

Commie.
Go Back To Anime Topic List
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll