d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Anime > One Punch Man > Get On Board
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.88
Jul 30 2016 02:10am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Jul 29 2016 11:53pm)
Haha, that's fucking awesome. Going to have to check out the English version at some point, I do agree that the voice for Saitama isn't a great fit, and I kind of see that ruining the whole dub experience for me.

ya not liking Saitama as well but will still watch it
Gold: 16,240.00
Jul 30 2016 03:43am
here you go:

you may think it's better/easier to listen to your own language rather than having to read and listen to foreign, and to an extent it is. And this makes up for the fact that some of the voices might not be as good. But there's another major problem with dubbed and it's that the words have to match up to the characters mouth movements so often the translations don't come off as well. Subed can explain things in more detail and there's also certain ways of saying things in japanese that you learn very quickly that don't translate well to english speaking. So when you add on the inferior voices dubbed becomes a deal breaker for us.

A lot of people go through a dubbed phase when they start watching anime but eventually learn that subbed is better. That's why we fell confident stating opinion as fact on this one, even if there are lots of people who like dubbed and it might seem subject to you, that's why we might come across as elitist/dicks but we're really just trying to help you see the light!
Gold: 2,004.41
Jul 30 2016 05:10am
can't get on board

looks cringey and stuff
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Jul 30 2016 08:07am
Quote (dakariii @ Jul 30 2016 02:43am)
here you go:

you may think it's better/easier to listen to your own language rather than having to read and listen to foreign, and to an extent it is. And this makes up for the fact that some of the voices might not be as good. But there's another major problem with dubbed and it's that the words have to match up to the characters mouth movements so often the translations don't come off as well. Subed can explain things in more detail and there's also certain ways of saying things in japanese that you learn very quickly that don't translate well to english speaking. So when you add on the inferior voices dubbed becomes a deal breaker for us.

A lot of people go through a dubbed phase when they start watching anime but eventually learn that subbed is better. That's why we fell confident stating opinion as fact on this one, even if there are lots of people who like dubbed and it might seem subject to you, that's why we might come across as elitist/dicks but we're really just trying to help you see the light!

Once again, this is a stupid person's opinion who hasn't spent the time to watch enough of both mediums. A lot of the time the sub is just a shittier translation of the same thing being said. Seriously, don't speak on the matter if you haven't watched enough dub to actually see a difference. Some sub are superior, some dub are superior. Trying to say either one is flat-out better makes you an idiot, there is no debating that. It has nothing to do with ease. It has to do with which is better. I can enjoy either because I'm not a snob, but occasionally, the writing for the subbed alternative is just so sub-par that I want to see what the dub is about. Not always, but on occasions the dub version is far superior. There are also plenty of shows where the voice acting is superior in dub>sub.

Edit - The only reason subs are regarded as "better" is because people like yourself, who bash on anyone that watches dub. People are stupid and weak and will eventually conform when pushed enough. That doesn't make it right.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Jul 30 2016 08:13am
Gold: 36,570.00
Jul 30 2016 08:35am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Jul 30 2016 02:07pm)
Once again, this is a stupid person's opinion who hasn't spent the time to watch enough of both mediums. A lot of the time the sub is just a shittier translation of the same thing being said. Seriously, don't speak on the matter if you haven't watched enough dub to actually see a difference. Some sub are superior, some dub are superior. Trying to say either one is flat-out better makes you an idiot, there is no debating that. It has nothing to do with ease. It has to do with which is better. I can enjoy either because I'm not a snob, but occasionally, the writing for the subbed alternative is just so sub-par that I want to see what the dub is about. Not always, but on occasions the dub version is far superior. There are also plenty of shows where the voice acting is superior in dub>sub.

Edit - The only reason subs are regarded as "better" is because people like yourself, who bash on anyone that watches dub. People are stupid and weak and will eventually conform when pushed enough. That doesn't make it right.

the sub has the one advantage that dub will never have: it keeps in the original voices that the director chose as intended for the characters and there is no mouth/voice desynch
yes, dubs can be occasionally better, but those are the outliers
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Jul 30 2016 09:00am
Quote (mortwatcher @ Jul 30 2016 07:35am)
the sub has the one advantage that dub will never have: it keeps in the original voices that the director chose as intended for the characters and there is no mouth/voice desynch
yes, dubs can be occasionally better, but those are the outliers

Like all forms of media, sometimes mistakes are made on original casting. Yes, this is not the norm, but it does happen often enough. I just think it's undeniably ignorant to try and speak in absolutes in the dub vs sub conversation. It just makes people sound like idiots.

For the record, I watch the majority of my anime subbed. I have a few where I, by a large margin, prefer the dubbed alternative. It's just not as black and white as most anime aficionados claim it to be.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Jul 30 2016 09:09am
Gold: 3,047.00
Jul 31 2016 04:29am
entry level """"anime""""

no thx
Gold: 29.00
Jul 31 2016 09:34am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Jul 30 2016 08:07am)

No subs are regarded as better because by comparison they are better.

it's people like you who don't see (or want to see) the pointed out facts and reasons why dubbed anime is worse off.
it's just like the people giving Berserk 2016 10/10's despite it problems being right in front of you.

This post was edited by Dragonox on Jul 31 2016 09:34am
Gold: 0.32
Jul 31 2016 11:40am
Quote (terry @ Jul 31 2016 10:29am)
entry level """"anime""""

no thx

said like a true snob, I'm curious what makes an anime entry level LOL?

kids taking themselves to serious
Gold: 29.00
Jul 31 2016 12:47pm
Quote (Zoj @ Jul 31 2016 11:40am)
said like a true snob, I'm curious what makes an anime entry level LOL?

kids taking themselves to serious

Dubbed anime as a whole is pretty much Entry level since it's kind of the major source of new western watchers.
they don't know much about anime so they end up watching dubbed off Netflix, YTV or Toonami etc... because it's easily accessible.
Early experience stuff like DBZ and other dubbed stuff like Yugioh, Beyblade, Card Captor, Sailor Moon etc..
We all mostly start out that way.

Go Back To Anime Topic List
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll