d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Redskins Name And White Guilt
Prev1121314
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,252.72
May 20 2016 09:25am
Quote (ThatAlex @ May 20 2016 11:20am)
You supported/liked/voted for Barry Goldwater in the 1960s. You've brought it up a couple of times.

Though you also went to many Led Zeppelin concerts back then, too, so I have no doubt you've experimented with some liberal ideas.

But you've also said something along the lines that this year (2016) will be the first time you haven't voted for the Republican in the presidential race in a long time, or "x" amount of years or something.

My memory is pretty good about stuff like this. Regardless, I'm just giving you shit. I have little idea what you were like in the 60s or 70s or etc so I shouldn't be making blanket assumptions about your political life and for that I apologize. I do remember a lot of what you've said/posted on jsp about your past, though, so that's all I can really go off of.

...no Alex , I said I campaigned for him and that started my involvement with politics . That was also the year my father ran for political office . I was 10 years old in 1964 so either your memory or your math really sucks .
Gold: 2,489.69
May 20 2016 09:28am
Wow i was writing a book on Widow and now the most interesting chapter is spoiled...
Gold: 7,252.72
May 20 2016 09:36am
Quote (thesnipa @ May 20 2016 11:28am)
Wow i was writing a book on Widow and now the most interesting chapter is spoiled...

...the most interesting happenings in my life will never be posted here .
Gold: 2,620.00
May 20 2016 09:42am
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 20 May 2016 10:25)
...no Alex , I said I campaigned for him and that started my involvement with politics . That was also the year my father ran for political office . I was 10 years old in 1964 so either your memory or your math really sucks .

So...pretty much exactly what I said on the last page?

Quote (ThatAlex @ 20 May 2016 10:03)
You said Barry Goldwater got you into politics or something, right?

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=74375823&f=119&p=503198281

I rest my case.

Quote (Skinned @ 20 May 2016 10:23)
widow historian

Widow is a cool guy. I actually really appreciate the man even though we unfortunately find ourselves disagreeing over most things, but he's the poster around here that makes me laugh the most. His commentary can be amazingly witty and scathing.

He's also an armchair psychologist, so I'm sure he will say I have some sort of complex about him or something. In actuality, 1) he's just an interesting poster and 2) my memory is pretty good. Sometimes. Half of the time I don't remember for shit, but I remember other things quite well.

Like you have said in the past, Widow is the PARD father. He's king of these parts so of course the things he says are memorable.

Quote (thesnipa @ 20 May 2016 10:28)

My bad.
Gold: 40.42
May 20 2016 10:19am
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 20 May 2016 07:02)
...it's not a slur to the vast majority of people .

"Vast majority" is a pretty dumb overstatement, but this isn't a 'majority rules' thing anyway. There were probably a majority of people who'd argue that the n-bomb wasn't a slur if you went to the right moment in history. Fuck the majority when it comes to things like this. We rather specifically have a political system that doesn't allow straight majority rule for pretty much exactly this reason.

I can't help but note that you addressed the half of my post that wasn't the point, yet again.
Gold: 129.89
May 20 2016 07:14pm
Quote (IceMage @ May 19 2016 04:32pm)
As someone who lives close to DC and roots for the Redskins(even though I'm a Raiders fan), this story is a little more interesting to me than the typical SJW nonsense. This is a perfect example of PC, guilty white people latching onto a bullshit issue when the vast majority of the group "affected" don't give a damn. It's absolutely hilarious to watch all the PC idiots on ESPN react to this story.

Why is it that white people care more about the Redskins name than Native Americans?

There is more serious problems in the world then this retarded shit...... Jesus Christ.....
Gold: 129.89
May 20 2016 07:20pm
Quote (IceMage @ May 19 2016 05:51pm)
Feeling guilty because the country you live in had a government policy which was cruel or unfair to people over a century ago is incredibly strange, but apparently the new generation of pussies extends beyond the borders of the United States. Should someone of a particular Native American tribe feel guilty because their ancestors 300 years ago killed and stole land from another Native American tribe? Go read a history book, human beings are cruel to other human beings, there's no reason for the whole planet to feel guilty because of wrongs perpetrated in the past.

:hail:
Gold: 1.00
May 20 2016 09:11pm
Quote (Beowulf @ May 20 2016 07:26am)
I agree that people tend to talk much and do little when it comes to pretty much anything and now with the internet people do even more talking and even less doing but if I had to choose which I thought was doing more good the alleged "SJW" or the white people at the top of the mountain trying to hold on to all of their "traditions" I'd probably say more progress has been made thanks to the "SJW"

Well there's progress, and then there's symbolic progress. There's certainly nothing wrong with including symbolic progress in one's wide ranges of political issues they take notice to.. but sometimes it feels as if people care more about symbolic progress than they do actual progress. You have issues that effect peoples' actual living conditions, and then you have issues that effect peoples' personal feelings

In regards to the Redskins name, I do not see it as a political issue so much as I see it a business one.. you have a private organization whose name offends people. As a business this is problematic to themselves, but if they want to offend people or just downright do not care, that is their right. The name is not exactly something I would write to my congressman about, but if I were the head of the Redskins organization I would probably have the name changed

Gold: 28,296.69
May 20 2016 09:16pm
Quote (TCassa89 @ May 20 2016 07:11pm)
Well there's progress, and then there's symbolic progress. There's certainly nothing wrong with including symbolic progress in one's wide ranges of political issues they take notice to.. but sometimes it feels as if people care more about symbolic progress than they do actual progress. You have issues that effect peoples' actual living conditions, and then you have issues that effect peoples' personal feelings

In regards to the Redskins name, I do not see it as a political issue so much as I see it a business one.. you have a private organization whose name offends people. As a business this is problematic to themselves, but if they want to offend people or just downright do not care, that is their right. The name is not exactly something I would write to my congressman about, but if I were the head of the Redskins organization I would probably have the name changed

I agree

With the internet and how people love their internet outrage it's not really a matter of if but when.

Eventually they will fold and it'll change and it'll be a big thing and then everyone can go back to barely remembering natives exist
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1121314
Add Reply New Topic New Poll