d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Your Thoughts On Animal Welfare?
Prev1567
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,620.00
Apr 19 2016 01:24pm
Economically, our dependence on so much meat (particularly red meat) is unsustainable.

Environmentally, it is unsustainable.

Morally, I have a problem with the way we treat cows and pigs.

I'm not advocating for people to become vegetarians, I just think our society should eat less meat because the amount we consume is economically/environmentally unsustainable, especially when you consider water.

Plus, it would be healthy for us to eat less red meat.
Gold: 68.99
Warn: 10%
Apr 19 2016 01:29pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Apr 19 2016 10:24pm)
Morally, I have a problem with the way we treat cows and pigs.

Why the two in particular?

Quote (ThatAlex @ Apr 19 2016 10:24pm)
I'm not advocating for people to become vegetarians, I just think our society should eat less meat because the amount we consume is economically/environmentally unsustainable, especially when you consider water.

Why not? If you think that we should eat less animal products because of economical, environmental and moral reasons then you ought to advocate and adopt vegeterianism/veganism.

This post was edited by Gastly on Apr 19 2016 01:31pm
Apr 19 2016 01:32pm
Quote (Gastly @ 19 Apr 2016 14:29)
Why the two in particular?

Because they are mammals and are more intelligent animals with emotions, etc. For better or worse, I don't feel as bad for chicken, fish, etc because they are not mammals and don't have as much intellectual or emotional capacity.

I feel the worst for cows and pigs because those are the two that we mass-produce and eat the most, but I really could extend the sentiment to all mammals.

Quote (Gastly @ 19 Apr 2016 14:29)
Why not? If you think that we should eat less animal products because of economical, environmental and moral reasons then you ought to advocate and adopt vegeterianism/veganism.

Because I think it is too much to ask for. Asking for people to eat less meat rather than no meat is a much more realistic goal that will result in better outcomes.

This post was edited by ThatAlex on Apr 19 2016 01:34pm
Gold: 68.99
Warn: 10%
Apr 19 2016 01:46pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Apr 19 2016 10:32pm)
Because they are mammals and are more intelligent animals with emotions, etc. For better or worse, I don't feel as bad for chicken, fish, etc because they are not mammals and don't have as much intellectual or emotional capacity.

I feel the worst for cows and pigs because those are the two that we mass-produce and eat the most, but I really could extend the sentiment to all mammals.

Why don't you think that they have emotional capacity? As far as I know they correspond in the emotional spectrum when it comes to suffering. Fear and pain are very basic instincts.
How about, say, an octopus versus a rat? Octopi are smart.

Why should one's intellectual capacity matter when considering the effects of suffering? If we were to think of a pig and a very small child they'd probably both suffer equally. Now, if we're to think of an even younger child then wouldn't it still be equally morally wrong to inflict suffering to that child as to the older one? Wouldn't be any less morally worse to inflict suffering on the smaller child as opposed to the older one? Or if one was to torment someone intellectually disabled - wouldn't it still be at least as wrong as it'd be to torment someone who's not intellectually disabled?

Quote (ThatAlex @ Apr 19 2016 10:32pm)
Because I think it is too much to ask for. Asking for people to eat less meat rather than no meat is a much more realistic goal that will result in better outcomes.

I don't think it's too much to ask for. If one considers eating meat to be unethical then one should advocate for vegetarianism and veganism. That doesn't mean that one shouldn't at least argue that people ought to lessen their meat consumption.
Apr 19 2016 06:29pm
Quote (Gastly @ 19 Apr 2016 14:46)
Why don't you think that they have emotional capacity? As far as I know they correspond in the emotional spectrum when it comes to suffering. Fear and pain are very basic instincts.
How about, say, an octopus versus a rat? Octopi are smart.

Why should one's intellectual capacity matter when considering the effects of suffering? If we were to think of a pig and a very small child they'd probably both suffer equally. Now, if we're to think of an even younger child then wouldn't it still be equally morally wrong to inflict suffering to that child as to the older one? Wouldn't be any less morally worse to inflict suffering on the smaller child as opposed to the older one? Or if one was to torment someone intellectually disabled - wouldn't it still be at least as wrong as it'd be to torment someone who's not intellectually disabled?

I don't think it's too much to ask for. If one considers eating meat to be unethical then one should advocate for vegetarianism and veganism. That doesn't mean that one shouldn't at least argue that people ought to lessen their meat consumption.

Intellectual/emotional capacity should always matter when considering suffering or bodily autonomy. It's why we have laws protecting against animal cruelty against cats and dogs and not insects.

Call it a mammalian bias if you want, but that's because there is a high correlation between intellectual/emotional capacity and being mammal because mammals are relatively new evolutionarily speaking. This is comparing animals to different animals.

As for your questions about humans, it is more difficult to compare within the same species, so I think it is equally immoral to torture/kill/inflict harm on any person regardless of emotional/intellectual capability. This is what makes abortion so tricky for me, and ultimately it comes down to personhood and weighing two important sides against each other.

And as for the second part, again, asking for people to eat less meat first is a more realistic objective than asking people to become vegrtarians and it will likely lead lead to better outcomes. Sometimes when you are faced with a large issue, you have to go a little bit at a time rather than try to solve something all at once.

This post was edited by ThatAlex on Apr 19 2016 06:30pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1567
Add Reply New Topic New Poll