d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > When Was America "great"?
Prev118192021Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 285.00
Apr 19 2016 05:46am
Before usury became the most successful way to create value , when we knew how to make things.
Gold: 655.00
Apr 19 2016 05:58am
Quote (bena2OO5 @ Apr 14 2016 08:21pm)
duffman can call me a zionist, but he doesn't go any more personal than that so I don't care.

There is no need to go on a high school verbal rampage.

Yes there is nobody likes a dirty Zionist
Gold: 5,169.82
Apr 19 2016 06:47am
Quote (iBruno @ Apr 15 2016 12:41am)
Well I think America is great right now.

I'm a Latino Immigrant and I finished college last year. I've had a total of $50,000 in student loan debt that will be fully paid out this year. I got a "decent" paying job right out of college that offers me health insurance, dental insurance, 5% 401k match and other benefits. I live in an apartment building in NJ in a "poor" area yet I drive a latest mode Audi S5 and never had issues with volence or vandalism.

I may not come from a poor family, but my parents did not pay for my education. I took out like $50k in federal and private loans at 4-7% interest. The rest of my education costs were covered by grants that I qualified due to school performance (3.8+ GPA).

Life is what to make out of it my friend. Of course certain fields are dying and others are booming. It's all about choices and effort. Some came from bad home envirements and that contributed to their demise but they still had the choice to not hangout with the wrong people and work hard twards what they dream of.

Thing is... It's really great that you took a hold of your life and made it work, but not everyone will be able to do that. Taking responsibility over a $50,000 loan is something most 18 year olds are simply not capable of. Some overestimate themselves, some underestimate college, some are unlucky, some lose motivation, some don't know how to handle their personal finances yet, etc etc etc.

In a truly "great" country, 18 year old highschool graduates should not be able to receive loans like that, plain and simple.

Still, kudos to you, as you're obviously a very competent and responsible person.

This post was edited by howtodisappearcompletely on Apr 19 2016 06:48am
Gold: 7,252.72
Apr 19 2016 06:51am
Quote (howtodisappearcompletely @ Apr 19 2016 08:47am)
Thing is... It's really great that you took a hold of your life and made it work, but not everyone will be able to do that. Taking responsibility over a $50,000 loan is something most 18 year olds are simply not capable of. Some overestimate themselves, some underestimate college, some are unlucky, some lose motivation, some don't know how to handle their personal finances yet, etc etc etc.

In a truly "great" country, 18 year old highschool graduates should not be able to receive loans like that, plain and simple.

Still, kudos to you, as you're obviously a very competent and responsible person.

...what the heck are you on about ? An 18 year old is legally an adult and to deny them a loan because of their age is blatant discrimination .
Gold: 2,617.52
Apr 19 2016 07:00am
Quote (iBruno @ Apr 14 2016 06:41pm)
Well I think America is great right now.

I'm a Latino Immigrant and I finished college last year. I've had a total of $50,000 in student loan debt that will be fully paid out this year. I got a "decent" paying job right out of college that offers me health insurance, dental insurance, 5% 401k match and other benefits. I live in an apartment building in NJ in a "poor" area yet I drive a latest mode Audi S5 and never had issues with volence or vandalism.

I may not come from a poor family, but my parents did not pay for my education. I took out like $50k in federal and private loans at 4-7% interest. The rest of my education costs were covered by grants that I qualified due to school performance (3.8+ GPA).

Life is what to make out of it my friend. Of course certain fields are dying and others are booming. It's all about choices and effort. Some came from bad home envirements and that contributed to their demise but they still had the choice to not hangout with the wrong people and work hard twards what they dream of.

I wish more people were like you *tear*

Quote (Skinned @ Apr 19 2016 07:46am)
Before usury became the most successful way to create value , when we knew how to make things.

This is prophetically true.

This post was edited by EndlessSky on Apr 19 2016 07:01am
Gold: 5,169.82
Apr 19 2016 07:30am
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Apr 19 2016 02:51pm)
...what the heck are you on about ? An 18 year old is legally an adult and to deny them a loan because of their age is blatant discrimination .

Are you new to economics, Widow?

Loans are indeed not given out to anyone. Before a bank gives you a loan, they check your credibility so that they'll be able to give you a deal which you'll be able to uphold. In fact, banks giving out loans without taking credibility into account is criminal practice, and is one of the things that contributed to the financial crisis in 2009.

An 18 year old who just graduated from highschool and has no income, has 0,00 credibility. Call it discrimination or not, but a person like that should never ever be on the receiving end of such a huge loan.
Gold: 7,526.30
Apr 19 2016 07:34am
I find it interesting that the party that wants to "Hope" and "Change" America into some mediocre European country tries to pull off the "America is great right now, tho. why do you hate america?" line.
Gold: 285.00
Apr 19 2016 07:38am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 19 2016 08:34am)
I find it interesting that the party that wants to "Hope" and "Change" America into some mediocre European country tries to pull off the "America is great right now, tho. why do you hate america?" line.

To Cam highest quality of life = mediocre.

To Libertarians: why should we let a small minority of advocates for the rich stop us from universalizing health care and education?
Gold: 7,526.30
Apr 19 2016 07:44am
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 19 2016 09:38am)

To Libertarians: why should we let a small minority of advocates for the rich stop us from universalizing health care and education?

Make america greece again.

Its not merely a small minority of rich that oppose govt takeovers of healthcare. There are many freedom loving americans that fall in that category too comrade. But i know you like to claim a monopoly on 'the people' and pretend dissenters of merit don't exist..
Gold: 109.01
Apr 19 2016 07:45am
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 19 2016 08:38am)

it's a consent issue , do I get a say in not forking over more of time/life/labor that doesnt result in the threat of violence to my person or property.
You're free to create a health care pool and chip in with your funds along with those who also consent to this and clearly lay out the health policies/benefits of this. Given bureaucracy overhead losses private seems to do better at distribution.
Education board has only existed since carter, and I'd do away with this dept at the federal level and leave edu up to parents and their local communities.

It's not support for classes , rich or for poor, it's one of volunteerism, local control, personal accountability and responsibility and charity that's freely given.

In my view I'm mixed on when america was great, if I could be a part of any of our timeline it would be during the beginning era of the homesteading act.

This post was edited by Master_Zappy on Apr 19 2016 07:51am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev118192021Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll