d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > How To Get To Heaven When You Die
Prev1200201202203204298Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 260.11
Feb 2 2018 08:28am
Quote (CPK001 @ Feb 1 2018 07:24pm)
Here you go. I did all the hard work for you.

http://www.letmegooglethat.com/?q=Does%20God%20change%20his%20mind?

Google is great for questions like "When was Las Angelis founded?"

Not so much for nuanced philosophical questions.

Regardless, I want your opinion specifically, but you seem too scared to actually consider the question.
Gold: 0.00
Feb 2 2018 04:34pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 3 2018 12:28am)
Google is great for questions like "When was Las Angelis founded?"

Not so much for nuanced philosophical questions.

Regardless, I want your opinion specifically, but you seem too scared to actually consider the question.

You mean to tell me that when you asked that question, that you wanted my opinion as the answer instead?

I like to see it as God making it easier for us to understand him because he doesn't act on what we're 'going to do'. God knew that Cain would kill Abel but the judgement came after he did that.

How would you relate to God if he acted on what you were going to do? He would stop you at every turn, every point. Then you would not be able to have a relationship with God because you would then describe him as a parent with a short leash on the dog.

It comes down to God allowing us to have free will. He may know what decision we will make but ofcourse he allows us to make that decision. Study now or study later? Reply to me or not?

There is also one time where God did harden the heart of somebody in The Bible and that would be Pharaoh. It shows you that God can certainly harden/soften our hearts but in the end the decision is up to you.
Gold: 186.16
Feb 3 2018 06:33pm
Please take the time to read this first post and pray that prayer at the bottom of it, placing your faith in Jesus, accepting His free gift of salvation.
Feb 3 2018 06:38pm
Quote (CPK001 @ Feb 2 2018 04:34pm)
You mean to tell me that when you asked that question, that you wanted my opinion as the answer instead?

This isn't a factual question you can look up on google. We don't have a God we can sit down in a lab and probe with electrodes.

So, just answer yes or no. Can God change his mind? Keep in mind he is beyond space, time, can see the future and all possibilities, etc. etc.
Feb 4 2018 04:43am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 4 2018 10:38am)
This isn't a factual question you can look up on google. We don't have a God we can sit down in a lab and probe with electrodes.

So, just answer yes or no. Can God change his mind? Keep in mind he is beyond space, time, can see the future and all possibilities, etc. etc.

I will answer using scripture because that gives proof of what God is like. You can answer that based off these two examples.

Jonah 3:4-10

4 Jonah began to go into the city, going a day's journey. And he called out, “Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!” 5 And the people of Nineveh believed God. They called for a fast and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them to the least of them.

6 The word reached the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, removed his robe, covered himself with sackcloth, and sat in ashes. 7 And he issued a proclamation and published through Nineveh, “By the decree of the king and his nobles: Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste anything. Let them not feed or drink water, 8 but let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and let them call out mightily to God. Let everyone turn from his evil way and from the violence that is in his hands. 9 Who knows? God may turn and relent and turn from his fierce anger, so that we may not perish.”

10 When God saw what they did, how they turned from their evil way, God relented of the disaster that he had said he would do to them, and he did not do it.

That was a conditional declaration with which God did change his mind.

An example of God not changing his mind is an unconditional declaration. Here is an example of this:

2 Samuel 7:16 - "And your house and your kingdom shall be made sure forever before me. Your throne shall be established forever.”

No matter what David did or didn't do, the word of the LORD would come to pass.

So there you have it. Scripture telling you of what God is like. A conditional declaration of repentance where God changed his mind and an unconditional declaration where God's promise will come to pass.
Feb 4 2018 06:08am
Quote (CPK001 @ Feb 4 2018 04:43am)
I will answer using scripture because that gives proof of what God is like. You can answer that based off these two examples.

4 Jonah began to go into the city, going a day's journey. And he called out, “Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!” 5 And the people of Nineveh believed God. They called for a fast and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them to the least of them.

6 The word reached the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, removed his robe, covered himself with sackcloth, and sat in ashes. 7 And he issued a proclamation and published through Nineveh, “By the decree of the king and his nobles: Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste anything. Let them not feed or drink water, 8 but let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and let them call out mightily to God. Let everyone turn from his evil way and from the violence that is in his hands. 9 Who knows? God may turn and relent and turn from his fierce anger, so that we may not perish.”

10 When God saw what they did, how they turned from their evil way, God relented of the disaster that he had said he would do to them, and he did not do it.

An example of God not changing his mind is an unconditional declaration. Here is an example of this:

2 Samuel 7:16 - "And your house and your kingdom shall be made sure forever before me. Your throne shall be established forever.”

So there you have it. Scripture telling you of what God is like. A conditional declaration of repentance where God changed his mind and an unconditional declaration where God's promise will come to pass.

Then God lacks knowledge of the future.
Gold: 1,253.69
Feb 4 2018 06:11am
Quote (CPK001 @ Feb 4 2018 04:43am)

well said bro, well said
Feb 5 2018 03:02am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 4 2018 10:08pm)
Then God lacks knowledge of the future.

Not according to this post: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=73889562&f=119&p=525625079#p525625079
Feb 5 2018 05:24am
Quote (CPK001 @ Feb 5 2018 03:02am)

If God changes his mind he lacks knowledge of the future, or changes how he values the way things play out. There is no other option. You either have to sacrifice God's immutability or foresight.
Feb 6 2018 06:12am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 5 2018 09:24pm)
If God changes his mind he lacks knowledge of the future, or changes how he values the way things play out. There is no other option. You either have to sacrifice God's immutability or foresight.

Oh that's where you are wrong again. The LORD predicted through the prophet Zechariah that the Messiah would come by riding on a donkey. The book of Luke is one of the books where that prophecy came true.

So you have a God who has knowledge of the future and also, as you saw, a God who gives us the choice to obey or disobey. Even though he knows what decision we will make, he still gave us the choice and he acts in such a way that we can have a relationship with him.

Zechariah 9:9 - Rejoice greatly, Daughter Zion! Shout, Daughter Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and victorious, lowly and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey.

Luke 19:28-40 - 28 And when he had said these things, he went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem. 29 When he drew near to Bethphage and Bethany, at the mount that is called Olivet, he sent two of the disciples, 30 saying, “Go into the village in front of you, where on entering you will find a colt tied, on which no one has ever yet sat. Untie it and bring it here. 31 If anyone asks you, ‘Why are you untying it?’ you shall say this: ‘The Lord has need of it.’” 32 So those who were sent went away and found it just as he had told them. 33 And as they were untying the colt, its owners said to them, “Why are you untying the colt?” 34 And they said, “The Lord has need of it.” 35 And they brought it to Jesus, and throwing their cloaks on the colt, they set Jesus on it. 36 And as he rode along, they spread their cloaks on the road. 37 As he was drawing near—already on the way down the Mount of Olives—the whole multitude of his disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen, 38 saying, “Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!” 39 And some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples.” 40 He answered, “I tell you, if these were silent, the very stones would cry out.”

Tell me something, how would you act to your children if you knew what they were going to do in the future? Would you act to them on something that is yet to happen or would you act to them in the here and now? Think very carefully before you answer.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1200201202203204298Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll