d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > One Step Forward, Or Two Steps Back? > Shinzo Abe Want's To Re-write Pacifism
1239Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.76
Jul 14 2015 07:49am
Conservative party prime minister Shinzo Abe want's to re-write or at least re-interpret what their constitution has stood for since the end of the second world war despite being heralded for it's diplomacy and pacifism He feels it instead speaks of Japan's humiliating loss to the allies.

Drafted by U.S. officials during a frantic week in February 1946 and based on principles set out by General Douglas MacArthur, supreme allied commander in Japan, the constitution renounced the right to wage war or maintain armed forces and enshrined democracy and human rights.

It has been stretched to allow Japan a military equal to Britain's but still constrained compared with other countries' armed forces.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/14/us-japan-constitution-idUSKCN0PO08F20150714

Members of his party have been quick to applaud his Nationalism and desire to protect both the economic and physical future of Japan. His detractors see his move as a way to build a legacy and fear that to move their government from a constitutionalists to a military like government will be a big step backward.

Many of Abe's conservative backers, who have long wanted to rewrite the constitution but lacked the political means, view it as a shoddy document written, in the words of one commentary, "with malice and vengeance" to keep Japan forever subdued.

"If we keep the constitution GHQ (U.S. Occupation headquarters) gave to a defeated Japan, Japan will always remain a defeated country," says a great-grandfather in a cartoon published recently by Abe's Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) to explain why the charter should be revised.

That view is fanning suspicion among Abe's critics that the proposed legislation to ease limits on the military is a step toward gutting not only the charter's pacifist Article 9, but basic principles such as respect for human rights.

"I think he hates the concept of modern constitutionalism, the concept that the powers of the government should be restricted by the constitution," Yasuo Hasebe, a constitutional scholar at Waseda University, told Reuters.

Tokyo (CNN)As Japanese lawmakers debate a controversial security bill, one of the country's leading artists has characterized Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's desire to reinterpret the constitution as vainglorious and "despicable."

The controversial bill would allow Japanese Self-Defense Force (SDF) personnel to play a greater military role overseas -- something it has eschewed since the end of World War II.

"I presume that PM Abe wants to leave his name in history as a great man who changed the interpretation the constitution. But I think it's despicable," animator and director Hayao Miyazaki told a press conference held at his studio in western Tokyo Monday.

The bill is poised to be voted on by Japan's parliament later this week.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/14/asia/japan-miyazaki-slams-abe-security-bill/index.html

I thought about this story when the social conservative question came up, but for the Japanese the role is reversed. The constitutionalists who want things to remain the same are at odds with the PM. who is considered a conservative who want's to change the whole constitution which has been the same for nearly 70 years.

If you've followed the conflict that has been taking place in the South China Sea, It's easy to see where the desire for a more pro-active military could be re-assuring but on the same hand nearly seven decades of internationally heralded pacifism is nothing to sneeze at. Especially given Japan's tendency or history to overcompensate in the war crimes department.

do you think Abe is justified or "right" in wanting a re-write ?
Gold: 500.00
Jul 14 2015 08:05am
absolutely, japan shouldn't have a crippled military because of rules that were forced upon them 70 years ago
Gold: 0.76
Jul 14 2015 08:21am
Quote (duffman316 @ 14 Jul 2015 09:05)
absolutely, japan shouldn't have a crippled military because of rules that were forced upon them 70 years ago

I can see this yet in the articles it shows that Abe's policy is not the popular policy 41% approve while 43% disapprove, I know I am much on the side of pacifism and at the sake of crippling one country I'd rather see other countries become inspired by Japan's continued belief in this system. To me the only sane step ahead is peace, eventually we need to stop settling our differences by killing.
Gold: 2,489.69
Jul 14 2015 08:29am
I would agree pacifism would be the best route if they werent located so close to North Korea. Forcing Japan to stay demilitarized would potentially be stopping them from defending themselves. Violence is not a good thing, but it is excusable in self defense. I dont think anyone is fool enough to suggest that Japan is intending to go on the offensive against any other nation, but they live in a region that is incredibly militarized. If perhaps their neighbors viewed them as neutral in the same way that Switzerland is treated it would be one thing, but alot of the future hinges on the rationality of Kim and his regime, IMO a dark prospect at best.

In short i support 100% their militarization as a means of self defense, im not gonna support them getting their hands tied behind their backs in the name of peace if it means danger for their population at the hands of an foreign authoritarian regime.
Gold: 0.00
Jul 14 2015 08:32am
Quote (duffman316 @ 14 Jul 2015 14:05)

Yep. They have suffered enough... Just ask my grandparents in Okinawa. US Military practically own Okinawa and they kidnap and rape young girls, fight and extort the locals... it's fucked up. Japan deserves it's country and it's independence back.
Gold: 500.00
Jul 14 2015 08:36am
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Jul 14 2015 09:21am)
I can see this yet in the articles it shows that Abe's policy is not the popular policy 41% approve while 43% disapprove, I know I am much on the side of pacifism and at the sake of crippling one country I'd rather see other countries become inspired by Japan's continued belief in this system. To me the only sane step ahead is peace, eventually we need to stop settling our differences by killing.

it leaves the country extremely vulnerable to local military giants

Quote (Scaly @ Jul 14 2015 09:32am)
Yep. They have suffered enough... Just ask my grandparents in Okinawa. US Military practically own Okinawa and they kidnap and rape young girls, fight and extort the locals... it's fucked up. Japan deserves it's country and it's independence back.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

This post was edited by duffman316 on Jul 14 2015 08:37am
Gold: 2,571.50
Jul 14 2015 08:38am
Would be crappy if the US had to send their own troops to protect Japan and then the American people freak out and rage hard because US lives are being lost to protect Japan instead of Japans own military being able to defend them against a real threat!

That would change things in a heart beat lol
Gold: 0.00
Jul 14 2015 08:41am
Quote (duffman316 @ 14 Jul 2015 14:36)
it leaves the country extremely vulnerable to local military giants

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Cases stretching right back to the end of WW2. The worst thing is that when caught the soldiers are just moved elsewhere as Japanese authorities have no jurisdiction over the cases so the military 'disciplines' the offenders themselves.

Okinawans getting super fed-up with it. is a big thing over there atm - http://rt.com/op-edge/247861-okinawa-japan-us-militray-base/
http://www.commondreams.org/news/2012/11/25/opposition-us-bases-pacific-reaches-turning-point

This post was edited by Scaly on Jul 14 2015 08:43am
Gold: 7,252.72
Jul 14 2015 08:48am
...Japan needs to and should be allowed to militarize by the USA in order to challenge and defend against China in that region .
Gold: 109.01
Jul 14 2015 09:08am
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Jul 14 2015 09:48am)
...Japan needs to and should be allowed to militarize by the USA in order to challenge and defend against China in that region .

Agreed. The national defense and sovereignty of a nation shouldn't be dictated by another country. Their right to self defense is no different than the individual right, and doubly important when its a nation at stake . The historical reasons for disarmament are long since passed.

"Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations-entangling alliances with none."

This post was edited by Master_Zappy on Jul 14 2015 09:11am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1239Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll