d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Suggestions For How To Get In Entry Level It Job?
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 337.50
Aug 6 2015 03:25am
Quote (Trev @ Aug 3 2015 08:11pm)
Yes true true! That's a better way of thinking of it, I will do this for sure!

DO thiss! Then don't forget to post and let us know what they reply with. Im curious if/how this will work.
Gold: 16,289.87
Aug 18 2015 12:10pm
Have another interview today for a fulltime and tomorrow I have an interview for an Internship.

Any recommendations on what to say for entry level salary (with no experience)? I was asked this question last interview and had no answer for it, just said negotiable and was straight up honest that I had zero experience and was willing to pretty much start at whatever.
Gold: 3,558.23
Aug 18 2015 06:14pm
Quote (Trev @ Aug 18 2015 01:10pm)

Any recommendations on what to say for entry level salary (with no experience)? I was asked this question last interview and had no answer for it, just said negotiable and was straight up honest that I had zero experience and was willing to pretty much start at whatever.

Geographically speaking, where? Regional and local cost of living can have a big impact on salary. Also, what are the job duties and title, and what industry? All of those play a part in salary.

I think you did right before in saying you'd work for cheap to get your foot in the door, but do some research about your local area...you don't want to get super lowballed.
Gold: 20.00
Aug 18 2015 07:32pm
If I have learned anything from t9x, it is that you should aim for a 15-20k salary while working 60 hour weeks on vaporware
Aug 28 2015 06:48pm
Hey guys, so I've come into a dilemma..

I'm currently working for a company as an Intern at 11 dollars per hour, no benefits. This company is pretty awesome, the people are amazing, and I just started.

However, as of today I was offered a job at my local home town as a tech full time, full benefits - Health, Eye, Dental, 401k, but it starts at $15.00 an hour, working with not real upgraded technologies.

The Internship I have is a place I really enjoy, it has me working with Windows and Active Directory, but I'll be a Help Desk IT if you will answering calls.

I'm so torn between the two, that I don't know what to do, I'm not guaranteed a job at the internship when I finish but if I was, I would take it immediately because of the people, the company, the programs they work with (Active directory/windows).

Would you guys risk it or would you guys take the safe job that may not allow your career to advance to what you wish it could because of the technology you work with? (Maybe I shouldn't be worried about this)

Tl;dr, Internship part time that I enjoy and technologies I want to pursue vs hometown full time with benefits and technology that's lacking behind and not windows
Gold: 3,804.50
Aug 28 2015 07:11pm
Quote (Trev @ Aug 28 2015 08:48pm)
Hey guys, so I've come into a dilemma..

I'm currently working for a company as an Intern at 11 dollars per hour, no benefits. This company is pretty awesome, the people are amazing, and I just started.

However, as of today I was offered a job at my local home town as a tech full time, full benefits - Health, Eye, Dental, 401k, but it starts at $15.00 an hour, working with not real upgraded technologies.

The Internship I have is a place I really enjoy, it has me working with Windows and Active Directory, but I'll be a Help Desk IT if you will answering calls.

I'm so torn between the two, that I don't know what to do, I'm not guaranteed a job at the internship when I finish but if I was, I would take it immediately because of the people, the company, the programs they work with (Active directory/windows).

Would you guys risk it or would you guys take the safe job that may not allow your career to advance to what you wish it could because of the technology you work with? (Maybe I shouldn't be worried about this)

Tl;dr, Internship part time that I enjoy and technologies I want to pursue vs hometown full time with benefits and technology that's lacking behind and not windows

we need to know more than that. are you in debt? are you married with a kid? if you have any financial obligations, they come first. after that's settled, pick where you enjoy working.

keep in mind these aren't really your only two choices. you'll get more offers over time. even if you pick wrong now, a few months or a year later you'll have more choices.

This post was edited by carteblanche on Aug 28 2015 07:12pm
Aug 28 2015 08:25pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Aug 28 2015 08:11pm)
we need to know more than that. are you in debt? are you married with a kid? if you have any financial obligations, they come first. after that's settled, pick where you enjoy working.

keep in mind these aren't really your only two choices. you'll get more offers over time. even if you pick wrong now, a few months or a year later you'll have more choices.

Great point, I just feel if I were going to get more offers it'd be from the Internship from other choices in terms of what I want to do since I'd be working with AD and such, and a great company.

With the full time job I'd be living with my parents for a year or so to catch up, just bought a new truck and have around 1000 in debt for college and truck payments. No kid, not married but have a girlfriend (would like to get engaged in a couple years if things continue to go well), just the Schooling and Truck payments.

For the internship, I'm living with my sister and girlfriend for basically free as well, so really don't have many payments other than school and a vehicle.

Since I live at home I am able to farm part time with my dad, so that could be an extra bonus but since I have free time with the Internship I'm able to help more hours farming Thurs afternoon, then Friday, Saturday, Sunday. (Work Mon-Thurs at Intern)

I just don't know what to do, so many considerations..
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll