d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Suggestions For How To Get In Entry Level It Job?
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 16,289.87
Jul 20 2015 04:19pm
Thanks for all the information! Looking for internships but they seem to go quick, and not many of them

Any recommendations for the cover letter?

This is where I'm struggling and feeling like I'm being over looked, it's just generic and I am wondering what type of things to hit and put in for each company?

Fixed my resume up, I think it looks pretty solid.
Gold: 3,804.50
Jul 20 2015 04:58pm
i never had a cover letter.
Jul 20 2015 05:22pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Jul 20 2015 05:58pm)
i never had a cover letter.

Really? Did you send anything like non-formal type in an email? Or did just strictly just send your resume?
Jul 20 2015 05:26pm
Quote (Trev @ Jul 20 2015 07:22pm)
Really? Did you send anything like non-formal type in an email? Or did just strictly just send your resume?

just a resume. but i also show up to every interview in jeans/tshirt/sneakers, so i might not be the best person to ask about making a good impression.
Jul 28 2015 11:02am
Finally have an interview, any tips on things to be prepared for?

I don't want to go in looking like a fool!

ANY tips help!
Gold: 20.00
Jul 28 2015 04:43pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Jul 20 2015 06:26pm)
just a resume. but i also show up to every interview in jeans/tshirt/sneakers, so i might not be the best person to ask about making a good impression.

??? are they hiring you for fashion?

(yes, I know the impression is important. I just think it is hilarious the stupid things that will prevent a good dev from getting hired)

This post was edited by Eep on Jul 28 2015 04:43pm
Gold: 48.00
Jul 28 2015 05:16pm
relax and know something about the company. These interviewers are like dogs, they will pick up on nervousness.
there are usually two types of people they want depending on department, the fluid/dynamic worker and the static worker. One can switch between multiple tasks and get the work done and the one who concentrates on 1 task at a time.
Just be yourself, know that this is as much an interview for them as it is for you. But keep in mind, based on what they glanced at on your resume, they may have already decided to hire you or not. So just give it your best shot.
Jul 28 2015 05:41pm
Quote (Dranor @ Jul 28 2015 06:16pm)
relax and know something about the company. These interviewers are like dogs, they will pick up on nervousness.
there are usually two types of people they want depending on department, the fluid/dynamic worker and the static worker. One can switch between multiple tasks and get the work done and the one who concentrates on 1 task at a time.
Just be yourself, know that this is as much an interview for them as it is for you. But keep in mind, based on what they glanced at on your resume, they may have already decided to hire you or not. So just give it your best shot.

Thanks for this, kinda reassuring!

I emailed them a personal letter (didn't really do a cover letter) but basically how I do not have the work experience and I'm willing to do an internship or start from the bottom and how I understand the way local businesses thrive since my parents own one as well.

Should my main focus to study what I know and some things about the company?

I have a lot of studying to do to refresh on and make sure I know what I know.
Jul 28 2015 05:58pm
Quote (Trev @ Jul 28 2015 07:41pm)
Thanks for this, kinda reassuring!

I emailed them a personal letter (didn't really do a cover letter) but basically how I do not have the work experience and I'm willing to do an internship or start from the bottom and how I understand the way local businesses thrive since my parents own one as well.

Should my main focus to study what I know and some things about the company?

I have a lot of studying to do to refresh on and make sure I know what I know.

who are you interviewing with? my interviews generally follow this kind of structure:
1) talk to future-supervisor on phone. he asks simple questions just to see if you're full of shit
2) arrange in-person interview where you meet coworkers who do what you will be doing. they check out your personality (are you an asshole they dont wanna work with? do you have a thick accent they can't understand?) and ask you technical questions. boss usually leaves at some point and you can freely ask coworkers questions. eg: how many hours do you work, is the boss a micromanager, etc
3) if all goes well, maybe come in for a second interview to meet HR or higher ups (VP, director, etc)

if you're in #2, they dont really care what you know about the company. it's just technical questions. usually a mix of simple questions based on your resume and high level technical questions. eg if your resume says you understand linux and shell scripting, they might ask you how to change file permissions to make it executable and ask what command you'd use to run a script in the background. they could ask a high level question like what's the difference between UDP and TCP (but won't ask for header-specific info). if you have MSSQL Server administration on your resume, they might ask you how to set up a database backup once a week. so if it's something you've done before, they should be fairly straight forward. not really stuff you have to cram/study for.

This post was edited by carteblanche on Jul 28 2015 06:00pm
Jul 28 2015 06:22pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Jul 28 2015 06:58pm)
who are you interviewing with? my interviews generally follow this kind of structure:
1) talk to future-supervisor on phone. he asks simple questions just to see if you're full of shit
2) arrange in-person interview where you meet coworkers who do what you will be doing. they check out your personality (are you an asshole they dont wanna work with? do you have a thick accent they can't understand?) and ask you technical questions. boss usually leaves at some point and you can freely ask coworkers questions. eg: how many hours do you work, is the boss a micromanager, etc
3) if all goes well, maybe come in for a second interview to meet HR or higher ups (VP, director, etc)

if you're in #2, they dont really care what you know about the company. it's just technical questions. usually a mix of simple questions based on your resume and high level technical questions. eg if your resume says you understand linux and shell scripting, they might ask you how to change file permissions to make it executable and ask what command you'd use to run a script in the background. they could ask a high level question like what's the difference between UDP and TCP (but won't ask for header-specific info). if you have MSSQL Server administration on your resume, they might ask you how to set up a database backup once a week. so if it's something you've done before, they should be fairly straight forward. not really stuff you have to cram/study for.

Bad news for me or maybe good news, I'm interviewing with the GM and President of the company.

Okay great great!

Those are all great ideas, I still need to go over things to refresh. It's been a while since I've really done most of the things on my resume, while trying to learn other stuff out of school that isn't exactly on there.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll