d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Hrw Decries Use Of Force In Us Prison System > On Mentally Ill Inmates
Prev14567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,252.72
May 15 2015 05:42pm
Quote (hATemOnkEy @ May 15 2015 07:34pm)
Even if this was the case, there is no reason to mutilate, burn skin, break bones or otherwise inflict permanent harm on what are essentially patients.
Difficult patients, probably, but patients still.

This isn't about giving medication or not, this is about inflicting serious harm and even death upon ill human beings.

It is clear that prison personel is not adequately trained to deal with these kinds of inmates, and transgressions like these will continue if nothing is done about it.

...it happens in prisons and psychiatric hospitals all around the globe and it always will . They are the most difficult prisoners to manage and the stress causes both inmates and guards to act out , often with violence . It is not a policy , it is an unfortunate happenstance that occurs when trying to control the insane .
Gold: 678.00
May 15 2015 05:47pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 16 May 2015 01:42)
...it happens in prisons and psychiatric hospitals all around the globe and it always will . They are the most difficult prisoners to manage and the stress causes both inmates and guards to act out , often with violence . It is not a policy , it is an unfortunate happenstance that occurs when trying to control the insane .

Not in these numbers.

There is a systemic problem. Probaly even more than one.

Anyway, saying it happens all over isn't going to solve anything.

The practice is abhorrent and every cause of action should be taken to prevent it. Just shrugging because shit happens is pretty callous, imo.

Btw, I hold the West to a higher standard in the treatment of the mentally ill, criminals and other marginalized groups than the rest of the world.
May 15 2015 05:48pm
Quote (hATemOnkEy @ May 15 2015 07:47pm)
Not in these numbers.

There is a systemic problem. Probaly even more than one.

Anyway, saying it happens all over isn't going to solve anything.

The practice is abhorrent and every cause of action should be taken to prevent it. Just shrugging because shit happens is pretty callous, imo.

Btw, I hold the West to a higher standard in the treatment of the mentally ill, criminals and other marginalized groups than the rest of the world.

...neither is offering the standard pablum of suggested fixes...more money...better training...a chicken in every pot...etc....
May 15 2015 05:51pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 16 May 2015 01:48)
...neither is offering the standard pablum of suggested fixes...more money...better training...a chicken in every pot...etc....

Perphaps not housing confirmed mentally ill inmates in general population?

Perhaps not incarcerating the numbers of individuals the US is doing at the moment?

Perhaps better training or at least adequate training in dealing with hostile situations without resorting to striking the inmates? (i.e. the use of joint locks and holds)

etc..
May 15 2015 05:57pm
Quote (hATemOnkEy @ May 15 2015 07:51pm)
Perphaps not housing confirmed mentally ill inmates in general population?

Perhaps not incarcerating the numbers of individuals the US is doing at the moment?

Perhaps better training or at least adequate training in dealing with hostile situations without resorting to striking the inmates? (i.e. the use of joint locks and holds)

etc..

...perhaps we can build them a nice , plush hostel for the criminally insane as long as we only give them plastic spoons with which to eat their room service gourmet meals .
Gold: 0.76
May 15 2015 06:07pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 15 May 2015 18:57)
...perhaps we can build them a nice , plush hostel for the criminally insane as long as we only give them plastic spoons with which to eat their room service gourmet meals .

You keep stating criminally insane as if every mentally ill prisoner is a ax murderer like I stated earlier you are purposefully neglecting the fact that there is a wide classification of mental illness and very different behaviors can be expected from different degrees. You resort to petty sarcasm when the talk gets to the point where you might have to give a inch on your position, and it really limits your value as a decent conversationalist.
May 15 2015 06:22pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 16 May 2015 01:57)

If you're not taking this discussion seriously, then why participate?

Not every inmate with a mental illness is 'criminally insane'. And nobody is saying anything about building them 'a nice, plush hotel'.

Just not brutalizing them would be a good start, imo.

May 15 2015 06:39pm
Quote (hATemOnkEy @ May 15 2015 08:22pm)
If you're not taking this discussion seriously, then why participate?

Not every inmate with a mental illness is 'criminally insane'. And nobody is saying anything about building them 'a nice, plush hotel'.

Just not brutalizing them would be a good start, imo.

...and you are ignoring my position that the violence is not intentional , that it is a by-product of an perpetually flawed system of warehousing the mentally ill either in hospitals or prisons that nobody knows how to fix completely . It gets better only slowly and will never be perfect . I remember the warehousing in State Hospitals of the mentally ill and the barbaric treatment of the patients before we started trying to fix it...but there is no magic bullet , no instant fix .
May 15 2015 06:46pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 16 May 2015 02:39)
...and you are ignoring my position that the violence is not intentional , that it is a by-product of an perpetually flawed system of warehousing the mentally ill either in hospitals or prisons that nobody knows how to fix completely . It gets better only slowly and will never be perfect . I remember the warehousing in State Hospitals of the mentally ill and the barbaric treatment of the patients before we started trying to fix it...but there is no magic bullet , no instant fix .

I'd suggest you watch the docu in the OP. Perhaps you're talking about these practices.

And, gradual change is better than no change, that's true at least.

I'm not saying the violence is sanctioned, but it obviously is a systemic problem and better training and more adequate housing/sectioning of different kinds of inmates would go a long way, imo.

Also, having more professional staff (psychologist, psychiatrists, social workers, ...) on hand probably wouldn't go amiss either.
Gold: 0.76
May 15 2015 06:50pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 15 May 2015 19:39)

Nobody is trying to fix it that is the problem, they are simply being inserted into the prison general population, only to be abused by the guards for behavior they aren't responsible for. The problem isn't the mentally Ill it's the placing. When Ronnie boy closed the federally funded mental hospitals and simply set all of the patients 'free' on the sidewalks of America he screwed a whole class of citizen that desperately needs our help. We need to open hospitals that are geared and staffed prepared for the mentally ill. They no more belong in prison than a new born baby does. Life has dealt them a shitty hand that they need help in controlling. Not barbaric treatment, and a magic bullet isn't expected, but we need to start fixing the problem.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll