d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Hrw Decries Use Of Force In Us Prison System > On Mentally Ill Inmates
Prev1567
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,252.72
May 15 2015 06:55pm
Quote (hATemOnkEy @ May 15 2015 08:46pm)
I'd suggest you watch the docu in the OP. Perhaps you're talking about these practices.

And, gradual change is better than no change, that's true at least.

I'm not saying the violence is sanctioned, but it obviously is a systemic problem and better training and more adequate housing/sectioning of different kinds of inmates would go a long way, imo.

Also, having more professional staff (psychologist, psychiatrists, social workers, ...) on hand probably wouldn't go amiss either.

...I have witnessed the worst of the abuses first hand , I don't need a biased documentary to tell me things I already know . There are literally thousands upon thousands of concerned professionals and volunteers in this country trying to address and rectify the problem and ignoring their efforts is an insult to their efforts . In a country as large and as populated as ours the problem is one of bureauracy and not one of indifference .
Gold: 2,489.69
May 15 2015 07:27pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ May 15 2015 06:55pm)
...I have witnessed the worst of the abuses first hand , I don't need a biased documentary to tell me things I already know . There are literally thousands upon thousands of concerned professionals and volunteers in this country trying to address and rectify the problem and ignoring their efforts is an insult to their efforts . In a country as large and as populated as ours the problem is one of bureauracy and not one of indifference .

:thumbsup: Amen.
Gold: 678.00
May 15 2015 07:30pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 16 May 2015 02:55)

It's a docu from the '60s. It's not related to the report of HRW.

I'd say it's both.
Gold: 7,252.72
May 15 2015 07:39pm
Quote (hATemOnkEy @ May 15 2015 09:30pm)
It's a docu from the '60s. It's not related to the report of HRW.

I'd say it's both.

...again , I really don't need to see it . I actually know quite a few people who worked in our State Hospitals and have heard their horror stories . One of my supervisors use to carry a hypodermic of thorazine in a little leather holster to protect himself from patient violence . I have walked the halls of those institutions of the past and have seen the abuses on both sides . I can't tell you how much better it is today compared to the time before we emptied our institutions onto the streets almost overnight because of court decisions . Forty something years later we are still trying to recover while the street population of the mentally ill increases .
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1567
Add Reply New Topic New Poll