d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > My Views On Helping The Poor
Prev126272829Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2.70
Apr 14 2015 02:09pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 14 2015 08:07pm)
[QUOTE=x]FoRsaKeN[x,Apr 14 2015 03:02pm]I definitely benefitted from having parents that let me live there til I was 23. Still could've made it work with roommates or a bit of student loan debt without much issue.

Oh god, please... if you were stupid enough to start a family and have kids before you were financially stable that's your own dumb fault though...

I didn't. I have a bachelor's degree and am working toward my master's and am only 22 years old. I make plenty of money and will have my loans paid off in no time.

The difference is I value my family, friends, personal time, and understand that not everyone has the same life as I do and may not be as privileged.

You judge everyone with yourself as the standard that you are comparing everyone to and that is extremely misguided. Hard work and your own personal character and achievements are not the only reasons why you are where you are today. It takes a lot of luck and privilege, but you seem to attribute this all to yourself.[/QUOTE]

I definitely do value myself and money as more of a priority than family, friends and personal time. You're correct on that and I know that isn't super common, but it can be if someone is in a financial pinch, that's kinda my point.

Attributing my success to luck and privilege is incorrect though. I very much believe we each control our own destiny almost entirely. I took risks in the career moves I did, but like a seasoned investor, they were calculated risks that I spent hours upon hours doing my homework on before pulling the trigger so that I knew that it'd benefit me. So far so good.[/QUOTE]

im sure kevin would be proud
Gold: 0.00
Apr 14 2015 02:10pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 14 2015 03:07pm)
[QUOTE=x]FoRsaKeN[x,Apr 14 2015 03:02pm]I definitely benefitted from having parents that let me live there til I was 23. Still could've made it work with roommates or a bit of student loan debt without much issue.

Oh god, please... if you were stupid enough to start a family and have kids before you were financially stable that's your own dumb fault though...

I didn't. I have a bachelor's degree and am working toward my master's and am only 22 years old. I make plenty of money and will have my loans paid off in no time.

The difference is I value my family, friends, personal time, and understand that not everyone has the same life as I do and may not be as privileged.

You judge everyone with yourself as the standard that you are comparing everyone to and that is extremely misguided. Hard work and your own personal character and achievements are not the only reasons why you are where you are today. It takes a lot of luck and privilege, but you seem to attribute this all to yourself.[/QUOTE]

I definitely do value myself and money as more of a priority than family, friends and personal time. You're correct on that and I know that isn't super common, but it can be if someone is in a financial pinch, that's kinda my point.

Attributing my success to luck and privilege is incorrect though. I very much believe we each control our own destiny almost entirely. I took risks in the career moves I did, but like a seasoned investor, they were calculated risks that I spent hours upon hours doing my homework on before pulling the trigger so that I knew that it'd benefit me. So far so good.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying your success is based on luck or privelege alone, but they do play an important role. It does sound like you took some risks and they paid off for you, but it doesn't work that way for everyone. Even a seasoned investor can't win every time. I'm not trying to knock your accomplishments, but recognize there are lots of people who were/are in similar situations as you and it may not have worked out as perfectly for them as it did for you.
Gold: 6,000.00
Apr 14 2015 02:12pm
i kinda lol @ the whole living at home being helpful thing...

i did it until i was 21 and got a second job so i could move out. im about to get my bachelor and move back home when i do my final internship...ive always had the option to move home but ive always wanted to live on my own...

i worked my ass off a supermarket job since 16. got promoted to a manager spot and paid off a $8k vehicle that was reliable. sure my parents bought me a couple of other older cars first, but i work my ass off to appreciate those kinds of sacrifices. i know not everyone has the same opportunity, but hey some people have it WAY better than i do so its a double-edged sword...

people are just too short-term, its hard, because we are mortal, and everything we worked so hard for can just end in a blink, but that is the fucking reason to do it. to always want to give your all, because any moment it can all be over...
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Apr 14 2015 02:13pm

[QUOTE=x]FoRsaKeN[x,Apr 14 2015 03:06pm]Not everyone is or has to be as ambitious as the most ambitious people you can find. That is absurd.[/QUOTE]

This is stupid. So because people aren't able to motivate themselves, we should be fully accepting of that? That's crap. I'm certainly not the most ambitious person in the world, but yeah I probably have more motivation to money and success than most. I view money as freedom that will allow me to assist family/friends financially when they need it, and so that I can retire early so that I can be very able to attend family functions and be a good parent and grandparent down the road. I never want to have to burden family or friends, that is a huge reason why I motivate myself. I see a lot of my extended family being bums and mooching off each other. I never want to put anyone in that spot because of me.
Gold: 17,400.00
Apr 14 2015 02:14pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 14 2015 03:49pm)
you saying that $30k a year is poverty makes everything you say meaningless... another entitled child. Then you mention the "qualified" argument that I hear all the time from students I mentor. "oh I was gonna apply but it said I needed 2 years experience in a related field." Oh my god, my current job had a job listing too that said "8-10 years sales management experience required." I'm 25, and I was 23 when I got this job. My first job out of college required "3-5 years software sales experience." Just make a nice cover letter that leads to them giving you a chance, and kill it in your interview.

I made a $30k salary for a few months, it was $1082 per paycheck after taxes. that's about $2200/month. Please enlighten me how $2200/month is fucking POVERTY. Despite making significantly more money now, if I broke out a budget of how I live monthly, I could probably afford it all with $2200 a month most likely. I just live frugally.

more along the lines is you got LUCKY child im actually older than you btw im 29 and been working my ass off since i was 14. 2200 a month can get you by but not comfortably if thats what you want to settle for than by all means whatever makes you happy. 2200 a month aint gonna pay for a house/car/vacation/utilities/GOOD food and obv wanna invest for retirement and 90% of the people in this world have debt its a fact of life so you gonna need a bit of money to pay that off aswell. i dont see how saying 30k a year is still poverty so everything i say is meaningless that just makes you sound more absurd than you already do lol.Like i said before the cost of living varies per region which you are obviously to naive to consider. go move to new york or Toronto ontario you know what 2200 a month will get you there...not much your attitude has become so much more transparent with this post, you seem to think that because you got it good in life atm that everyone else should stop being lazy and follow in your steps, you should honestly quit your day job and jsp and start hosting motivational seminars also make some videos. then you can come back here and tell us how easy it was for you to make money doing that.

[QUOTE=x]FoRsaKeN[x,Apr 14 2015 03:56pm]Aspen, it must be nice being single and having no friends, family, a spouse, kids, any outside obligations, and parents who didn't kick you out on your ass when you were 18.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=x]FoRsaKeN[x,Apr 14 2015 04:02pm]I definitely benefitted from having parents that let me live there til I was 23. Still could've made it work with roommates or a bit of student loan debt without much issue.

Oh god, please... if you were stupid enough to start a family and have kids before you were financially stable that's your own dumb fault though...[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup:
Gold: 0.00
Apr 14 2015 02:15pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 14 2015 03:13pm)
[QUOTE=x]FoRsaKeN[x,Apr 14 2015 03:06pm]Not everyone is or has to be as ambitious as the most ambitious people you can find. That is absurd.

This is stupid. So because people aren't able to motivate themselves, we should be fully accepting of that? That's crap. I'm certainly not the most ambitious person in the world, but yeah I probably have more motivation to money and success than most. I view money as freedom that will allow me to assist family/friends financially when they need it, and so that I can retire early so that I can be very able to attend family functions and be a good parent and grandparent down the road. I never want to have to burden family or friends, that is a huge reason why I motivate myself. I see a lot of my extended family being bums and mooching off each other. I never want to put anyone in that spot because of me.[/QUOTE]

Those are great personal values and goals, but they are not and should not be the same for everyone else. For all you know you're gone in five years. If you value money as more important than literally everything else, I can see your worldview.... but I sure hope you don't think that everyone else has to think this way.
Apr 14 2015 02:23pm
Quote (kalelvszod @ Apr 14 2015 03:14pm)
more along the lines is you got LUCKY child im actually older than you btw im 29 and been working my ass off since i was 14. 2200 a month can get you by but not comfortably if thats what you want to settle for than by all means whatever makes you happy. 2200 a month aint gonna pay for a house/car/vacation/utilities/GOOD food and obv wanna invest for retirement and 90% of the people in this world have debt its a fact of life so you gonna need a bit of money to pay that off aswell. i dont see how saying 30k a year is still poverty so everything i say is meaningless that just makes you sound more absurd than you already do lol.Like i said before the cost of living varies per region which you are obviously to naive to consider. go move to new york or Toronto ontario you know what 2200 a month will get you there...not much your attitude has become so much more transparent with this post, you seem to think that because you got it good in life atm that everyone else should stop being lazy and follow in your steps, you should honestly quit your day job and jsp and start hosting motivational seminars also make some videos. then you can come back here and tell us how easy it was for you to make money doing that.

[QUOTE=x]FoRsaKeN[x,Apr 14 2015 03:56pm]Aspen, it must be nice being single and having no friends, family, a spouse, kids, any outside obligations, and parents who didn't kick you out on your ass when you were 18.

[QUOTE=x]FoRsaKeN[x,Apr 14 2015 04:02pm]I definitely benefitted from having parents that let me live there til I was 23. Still could've made it work with roommates or a bit of student loan debt without much issue.

Oh god, please... if you were stupid enough to start a family and have kids before you were financially stable that's your own dumb fault though...[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

2200 is enough to live in most areas, comfortably..
for necessities

you want a vacation? work your ass off more
you want a retirement? work your ass off more
you want a house? work your ass off more
you want a nice car? work your ass off more

everyone else before you has, you are entitled to any of that...
Apr 14 2015 02:34pm
Quote (Duckling @ Apr 14 2015 04:23pm)

for necessities

everyone else before you has, you are entitled to any of that..
.[/QUOTE]

nobody is disputing that....the 2200 a month thing i disagree with you on any emergencies come up such as car repair for example with that income will most likely not have much banked on the side which will force you to go into debt if not further. my total bills for month including food etc leaves me at bout 2k flat and that is for a small 1 bedroom apt, that leaves me 200$ spend on going out here and there for a month or to save doesnt leave you much breathing room
Apr 14 2015 02:35pm
Quote (kalelvszod @ Apr 14 2015 03:34pm)

You judge everyone with yourself as the standard that you are comparing everyone to and that is extremely misguided. Hard work and your own personal character and achievements are not the only reasons why you are where you are today. It takes a lot of luck and privilege, but you seem to attribute this all to yourself.

for necessities

everyone else before you has, you are entitled to any of that..
.[/QUOTE]

nobody is disputing that....the 2200 a month thing i disagree with you on any emergencies come up such as car repair for example with that income will most likely not have much banked on the side which will force you to go into debt if not further. my total bills for month including food etc leaves me at bout 2k flat and that is for a small 1 bedroom apt, that leaves me 200$ spend on going out here and there for a month or to save doesnt leave you much breathing room[/QUOTE]

how are your bills $2k for one person......
Apr 14 2015 02:41pm
800$ month rent
150 for internet and phone bill
160 month for insurance
100 month for gas
300$ month for debts
300-400 month on food

then any other monies such as going out and having fun and that isnt living comfortably and can include debt because thats a real life thing for most people. food is that much because i like to eat good and not garbage food

This post was edited by kalelvszod on Apr 14 2015 02:42pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev126272829Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll