d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > My Views On Helping The Poor
Prev12526272829Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.00
Apr 14 2015 01:27pm
Quote (bogie160 @ Apr 14 2015 08:50am)
No, clearly they'd be exempt from the new rules as they're already working.

Like most Right Wingers you completely misunderstand that it isn't unemployed people who contribute nothing receiving welfare, rather it is families who work 40 hours a week and people going to school or participating in job programs.

Most conservatives in America are complete idiots as to how entitlement programs and social insurance programs actually work and who participates in them. When they declare war on welfare they're declaring war on people working to better their lives. The amount of money going to people who contribute nothing is very little and usually the result of some serious injury or health disability.

Yes there are free riders on the system, but the system isn't set up to benefit them at all, and in fact upward mobility is very much discouraged in the United States.
Gold: 17,400.00
Apr 14 2015 01:39pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 14 2015 03:13pm)
I'll try to answer 1 by 1 on this...

- The problem is that not everyone has ambition to do that, hence why we don't all have nice homes and cars, only those who work to constantly better themselves do. Of course there are exceptions due to illness and disability. I think people often have a vision of a "hard worker" as a blue collar worker busting his ass day in-day out. I view that person as noble, but naïve. If that doesn't pay what you want it to, grow your skill set and learn a new trade that pays more money.
- There certainly would be enough jobs to fill thousands of engineering majors. However, I think what you're saying is that if there was too much supply of engineers, there wouldn't be the demand to have them paid well. It would take a lot to get there, but then I'd recommend other majors in other growing fields. Or if you're a true engineer, create your own product.
- I did have student loans and I did live at home. I purposely lived at home til I was 22 even though it wasn't the most fun. I worked 40 hours+ per week during my bachelors degree, and applied to a ton of scholarships. I had almost no debt by the time I graduated because of how frugal I was for 4 years. Then I got my MBA right after, which was just $20,000 and I paid that in full within a year as I worked a 8-5 job making $35k a year and saved almost all of it and went to school from 6:00-9:00 4 nights per week for 2 years. If I was not as fortunate to be able to live at home, I'd have rented a room in a house which can be as cheap as $400/month and i'd still only have had maybe $10-15,000 in student loans, which is basically a car payment. I certainly understand the concept of not having anything given to you, and making it work anyways.
- Your point of not being able to move because you have no money is laughable. I can get from Maryland to California for $100 if I really wanted to if I just waited for some Greyhound bus ticket specials or southwest airline specials. Moving for better work is way easier than people think. They just don't want to leave their family and friends most of the time, neither would I.
- The worst point you made is that there are not enough jobs available to graduates. That is not true at all. I assist at a local college helping students find careers. We work with a handful of recruiters whose soul purpose is to fit people into careers. I have an incredibly high success rate at placing students into careers. It's up to them to take the plunge. I cannot explain how many students get a $30-35k/year job offer and say no because of reasons like "the commute is too far" "i just don't like Baltimore" "i don't know if I could handle a job doing _____" "i really would prefer to do ____." I hear it all day. I always advise them to deal with the rough commute, a city you don't love, a field you aren't passionate about, etc., until they find something better. It's not like once you get a job you're stuck forever, you can still keep applying and keep interviewing. A social work degree can still land you a $30k+ a year career easily in a business related field. Just gotta keep applying and keep interviewing. I show students all the time how to burn through 100-150 applications a DAY. One day you can easily do 100+ job applications. CareerBuilder and others have tools that all you do is click a button and it shoots off your resume. I did that when I graduated and got 7 job offers all $30k+ a year within 3 weeks of graduation, and that was with a political science degree.

so first bolded point about purposely living at home not all people have that option. I didnt get along with my mom and was booted out of my house at age 19 and im not alone in that many other people have had to endure that and worse so obv arent able to save up all that money to go to school and pay back debts right? you said you paid back 20k loan in 1 year thats real good for you anybody can do that living at home while working a full time job. the fact that you think all you have to do is pay for room board and food and only spend 400$ a month and 175 on food is laughable even a single person living on their own will spend easily 50$ a week and thats by scraping by your philosophy will result in severe malnoursihment of an individual. also room and board pricing varies per area. i can assure you there is nowhere in my area that will rent a room out to you for 400$ a month. Im pretty sure my point about their not being enough jobs is a fact. if 10,000 police officers,5000 engineers,5000 teachers all graduated at same time you would have to be delusional to think they are all gonna find work immediately. hence why people are forced to go back to school for something their is a demand for which is changing all the time. now you say you can get to maryland for 100$ still to some people that is alot of money and you already broke down your budget before which doesnt allow for that extra spending lol and id like to see you fit all your furniture and possesions onto a greyhand and still accomplish that feat for 100$.All this is making so much more sense now that we know you live at home. so easy for people like you to comment on this when you never had to go through any hardships. im sure if you lived on your own while having to work and survive at same time you would understand better . Shit i can easily upload and hand my resume/job application out to 200 jobs a day, does not mean im qualified or will get it and btw 30k a year is still living in poverty btw so dont go talking like its alot of money.
Gold: 345.00
Apr 14 2015 01:42pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 8 2015 09:58am)
Lifetime unemployment benefits - 12 weeks. Maximum of $500/month because that's all it costs to rent a room in a house on craigslist and afford enough ramen to eat until you can get a job and get back on your feet.
Welfare spending - zero.
Medicaid - zero.

Getting a job is easy, people are just stupid and lazy and refuse to work at a fast food restaurant. My girlfriend had no job experience whatsoever, so she got a job as a server at Buffalo Wild Wings. Her W2 was $41,000. Why can't anyone else do that?

Thoughts?

sorry , to many liberal voters in the populace.... (soon to be millions more from the illegal aliens getting citizenship) Good thought though.

Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Apr 14 2015 01:49pm
Quote (kalelvszod @ Apr 14 2015 02:39pm)
so first bolded point about purposely living at home not all people have that option. I didnt get along with my mom and was booted out of my house at age 19 and im not alone in that many other people have had to endure that and worse so obv arent able to save up all that money to go to school and pay back debts right? you said you paid back 20k loan in 1 year thats real good for you anybody can do that living at home while working a full time job. the fact that you think all you have to do is pay for room board and food and only spend 400$ a month and 175 on food is laughable even a single person living on their own will spend easily 50$ a week and thats by scraping by your philosophy will result in severe malnoursihment of an individual. also room and board pricing varies per area. i can assure you there is nowhere in my area that will rent a room out to you for 400$ a month. Im pretty sure my point about their not being enough jobs is a fact. if 10,000 police officers,5000 engineers,5000 teachers all graduated at same time you would have to be delusional to think they are all gonna find work immediately. hence why people are forced to go back to school for something their is a demand for which is changing all the time. now you say you can get to maryland for 100$ still to some people that is alot of money and you already broke down your budget before which doesnt allow for that extra spending lol and id like to see you fit all your furniture and possesions onto a greyhand and still accomplish that feat for 100$.All this is making so much more sense now that we know you live at home. so easy for people like you to comment on this when you never had to go through any hardships. im sure if you lived on your own while having to work and survive at same time you would understand better . Shit i can easily upload and hand my resume/job application out to 200 jobs a day, does not mean im qualified or will get it and btw 30k a year is still living in poverty btw so dont go talking like its alot of money.

you saying that $30k a year is poverty makes everything you say meaningless... another entitled child. Then you mention the "qualified" argument that I hear all the time from students I mentor. "oh I was gonna apply but it said I needed 2 years experience in a related field." Oh my god, my current job had a job listing too that said "8-10 years sales management experience required." I'm 25, and I was 23 when I got this job. My first job out of college required "3-5 years software sales experience." Just make a nice cover letter that leads to them giving you a chance, and kill it in your interview.

I made a $30k salary for a few months, it was $1082 per paycheck after taxes. that's about $2200/month. Please enlighten me how $2200/month is fucking POVERTY. Despite making significantly more money now, if I broke out a budget of how I live monthly, I could probably afford it all with $2200 a month most likely. I just live frugally.

This post was edited by AspenSniper on Apr 14 2015 01:56pm
Gold: 0.00
Apr 14 2015 01:56pm
Aspen, it must be nice being single and having no friends, family, a spouse, kids, any outside obligations, and parents who didn't kick you out on your ass when you were 18.
Retired Moderator
Apr 14 2015 01:58pm
[QUOTE=x]FoRsaKeN[x,Apr 14 2015 02:56pm]Aspen, it must be nice being single and having no friends, family, a spouse, kids, any outside obligations, and parents who didn't kick you out on your ass when you were 18.[/QUOTE]

I definitely benefitted from having parents that let me live there til I was 23. Still could've made it work with roommates or a bit of student loan debt without much issue. I had plenty of friends, I just focused on my future rather than getting fucked up every night in college so that I always had money.

Oh god, please... if you were stupid enough to start a family and have kids before you were financially stable that's your own dumb fault though...

This post was edited by AspenSniper on Apr 14 2015 01:59pm
Apr 14 2015 02:02pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Apr 14 2015 02:58pm)
[QUOTE=x]FoRsaKeN[x,Apr 14 2015 02:56pm]Aspen, it must be nice being single and having no friends, family, a spouse, kids, any outside obligations, and parents who didn't kick you out on your ass when you were 18.

I definitely benefitted from having parents that let me live there til I was 23. Still could've made it work with roommates or a bit of student loan debt without much issue.

Oh god, please... if you were stupid enough to start a family and have kids before you were financially stable that's your own dumb fault though...[/QUOTE]

I didn't. I have a bachelor's degree and am working toward my master's and am only 22 years old. I make plenty of money and will have my loans paid off in no time.

The difference is I value my family, friends, personal time, and understand that not everyone has the same life as I do and may not be as privileged.

You judge everyone with yourself as the standard that you are comparing everyone to and that is extremely misguided. Hard work and your own personal character and achievements are not the only reasons why you are where you are today. It takes a lot of luck and privilege, but you seem to attribute this all to yourself.
Gold: 2.70
Apr 14 2015 02:04pm
not being privileged enough = lazy

k guy
Apr 14 2015 02:06pm
Quote (Warlock316 @ Apr 14 2015 03:04pm)
not being privileged enough = lazy

k guy

Not everyone is or has to be as ambitious as the most ambitious people you can find. That is absurd.
Retired Moderator
Apr 14 2015 02:07pm
[QUOTE=x]FoRsaKeN[x,Apr 14 2015 03:02pm]I definitely benefitted from having parents that let me live there til I was 23. Still could've made it work with roommates or a bit of student loan debt without much issue.

Oh god, please... if you were stupid enough to start a family and have kids before you were financially stable that's your own dumb fault though...[/QUOTE]

I didn't. I have a bachelor's degree and am working toward my master's and am only 22 years old. I make plenty of money and will have my loans paid off in no time.

The difference is I value my family, friends, personal time, and understand that not everyone has the same life as I do and may not be as privileged.

You judge everyone with yourself as the standard that you are comparing everyone to and that is extremely misguided. Hard work and your own personal character and achievements are not the only reasons why you are where you are today. It takes a lot of luck and privilege, but you seem to attribute this all to yourself.[/QUOTE]

I definitely do value myself and money as more of a priority than family, friends and personal time. You're correct on that and I know that isn't super common, but it can be if someone is in a financial pinch, that's kinda my point.

Attributing my success to luck and privilege is incorrect though. I very much believe we each control our own destiny almost entirely. I took risks in the career moves I did, but like a seasoned investor, they were calculated risks that I spent hours upon hours doing my homework on before pulling the trigger so that I knew that it'd benefit me. So far so good.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12526272829Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll