d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Humor And Religion > Is It Right Is It Wrong?
Prev12348Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Mar 7 2015 12:25pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Mar 7 2015 10:36am)
...we both believe you have a room temperature IQ and I'm guessing that makes sense to just about everyone on PaRD .

It's funny, because Scaly uses the metric system.
/e
Nothing is off limits as far as humor goes. South Park did an excellent episode on that.

This post was edited by BardOfXiix on Mar 7 2015 12:25pm
Gold: 12,730.67
Mar 7 2015 12:46pm
I find humor about genocide to be a bit tasteless but I'm ok with religious humor. My priest actually makes a religious joke to start every homily.

Anyway, good humor doesn't go out of its way to offend.
Gold: Locked
Mar 7 2015 12:49pm
Quote (thundercock @ Mar 7 2015 11:46am)
I find humor about genocide to be a bit tasteless but I'm ok with religious humor. My priest actually makes a religious joke to start every homily.

Debatable, it can offend as long as it does it in a humorous way and not an angry one. For example, I think that horribly offensive black jokes can be hilarious, but as soon as it becomes race hating, it's no longer funny. It has to be done in good taste.

But part of the charm of black humor is that it's supposed to offend, it's supposed to push the envelope, make people uncomfortable, and make them laugh in spite of that discomfort.
Mar 7 2015 12:56pm
Quote (BardOfXiix @ Mar 7 2015 10:49am)
Debatable, it can offend as long as it does it in a humorous way and not an angry one. For example, I think that horribly offensive black jokes can be hilarious, but as soon as it becomes race hating, it's no longer funny. It has to be done in good taste.

But part of the charm of black humor is that it's supposed to offend, it's supposed to push the envelope, make people uncomfortable, and make them laugh in spite of that discomfort.

I think there are differences between making a joke about black people being lazy and jokes about them being slaughtered in Sudan. Both are offensive, but I think that the former can be laughed at by blacks.
Gold: 0.00
Mar 7 2015 12:56pm
Quote (BardOfXiix @ 7 Mar 2015 18:25)
It's funny, because Scaly uses the metric system.
/e
Nothing is off limits as far as humor goes. South Park did an excellent episode on that.

He was quoting duff...

But yea... if I was using kelvin it'd give him an IQ of nearly 300. Shit's relative.

Duff's a pretty clever dude in all honesty. Certainly a step up from Windowlicker and Tc.

This post was edited by Scaly on Mar 7 2015 12:59pm
Gold: 285.00
Mar 7 2015 01:00pm
Quote (thundercock @ Mar 7 2015 01:46pm)

Is it a standard Catholic priest pedophile joke or is it too soon?

/e I know bad eggs, etc, but you have to go for the hanging fruit sometimes.

We had a high school principle that abused a lot of kids here, and that is no joking matter.

My humor went out of its way to offend. I'm experimenting within the thread.

This post was edited by Skinned on Mar 7 2015 01:05pm
Gold: 0.76
Mar 7 2015 01:09pm
Quote (thundercock @ 7 Mar 2015 13:46)

I do agree A really good comedian doesn't have to use shock and awe he can make you think and laugh.

I was reading about Charlie Hebbo and some of the response and outrage to the shootings. Most of the writing was pro-freedom of speech for France
and how it was wrong for the extremists to try and censor speech, especially in the form of humor. I agree with this. Then someone wrot to the paper and complained that a French comedian had his show censored a few years ago because some of it was anti-Semitc and depicted a man in a death camp. The writer was claiming a double standard on one hand it was fine to disgrace the Muslim religion. But on the other hand not ok to bring up and laugh about the death camps.

As I thought about it there is a clear line of difference between the two, I mean one did depict Love, and the other death but when do we start the line and where do we stop. who gets the final say in what's too offensive? Maybe death is a good thing to laugh at too, I've been at quite a few and there is always laughter somewhere...old stories get told, memories shared laughter like that is good it helps heal those who are mourning.
Mar 7 2015 01:14pm
Quote (Skinned @ Mar 7 2015 11:00am)
Is it a standard Catholic priest pedophile joke or is it too soon?

/e I know bad eggs, etc, but you have to go for the hanging fruit sometimes.

We had a high school principle that abused a lot of kids here, and that is no joking matter.

My humor went out of its way to offend. I'm experimenting within the thread.

Trust me, Catholics have heard them ALL. We have the largest target on our collective backs.

Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Mar 7 2015 11:09am)
I do agree A really good comedian doesn't have to use shock and awe he can make you think and laugh.

I was reading about Charlie Hebbo and some of the response and outrage to the shootings. Most of the writing was pro-freedom of speech for France
and how it was wrong for the extremists to try and censor speech, especially in the form of humor. I agree with this. Then someone wrot to the paper and complained that a French comedian had his show censored a few years ago because some of it was anti-Semitc and depicted a man in a death camp. The writer was claiming a double standard on one hand it was fine to disgrace the Muslim religion. But on the other hand not ok to bring up and laugh about the death camps.

As I thought about it there is a clear line of difference between the two, I mean one did depict Love, and the other death but when do we start the line and where do we stop. who gets the final say in what's too offensive? Maybe death is a good thing to laugh at too, I've been at quite a few and there is always laughter somewhere...old stories get told, memories shared laughter like that is good it helps heal those who are mourning.

I don't think there needs to be any line drawn. At the end of the day, if you have a sizable audience, that's all that matters.
Gold: 285.00
Mar 7 2015 01:18pm
Quote (thundercock @ Mar 7 2015 02:14pm)
Trust me, Catholics have heard them ALL. We have the largest target on our collective backs.

Everybody is a target in individualist society. Western freedom views other people as limitations on our own freedom instead of people working together as a path to freedom, but that is the subject of another thread entirely.
Gold: 0.00
Mar 7 2015 01:18pm
Quote (thundercock @ 7 Mar 2015 19:14)

I don't think there needs to be any line drawn. At the end of the day, if you have a sizable audience, that's all that matters.

You're a Catholic? Ew.

I mean I knew you were Christian but I didn't think you were a full on axis of evil nutter...

This post was edited by Scaly on Mar 7 2015 01:21pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12348Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll