d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Obama Joins Zeitgeist
Prev1456789Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 68.99
Warn: 10%
Feb 15 2015 05:09pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Feb 16 2015 01:44am)
Hence neuroeconomics :)

what's that
you seem to expect a lot from this neuro-meddling-stuff

Quote (Skinned @ Feb 16 2015 01:47am)
After learning more about how science works I'm a bit more skeptical about it solving our problems :lol:

i'm a bit sceptical of progress and whatnot
" Farming is now a motorized food industry, in essence the same as the fabrication of corpses in gas chambers and extermination camps, the same as the blockade and starving of the peasantry, the same as the fabrication of the hydrogen bomb."
- Martin Heidegger in Four Lectures on Technology
"Everywhere we remain unfree and chained to technology, whether we passionately affirm or deny it. But we are delivered over to it in the worst possible way when we regard it as something neutral; for this conception of it, to which today we particularly like to do homage, makes us utterly blind to the essence of technology"
- Martin Heidegger in The Question Concerning Technology

Quote (cambovenzi @ Feb 16 2015 01:48am)
An excuse to control people and squash freedom and to violently oppress people for doing things he doesn't like..

it's almost as if i talked about this a few posts back
does it ever bother you that everything you post always seem to boil down to useless libertarian rhetoric and the same "well obviously less regulation is needed, there can be no downsides to capitalism and the state is solely responsible for all problems that have ever existed"? one could make a bot to parrot these things over and over again and no one could tell the difference
Gold: 7,526.30
Feb 15 2015 05:10pm
Quote (Skinned @ Feb 15 2015 05:53pm)
I don't violently squash people, I'm a social worker who connects people with the services and goods they need to live meaningful and productive lives despite having enormous hardships. I help people who are physically disabled, cognitively disabled, and sometimes spiritually disabled.

Right you just support and hire others to do the violent squashing for you.

And if somebody brings you into an arrangement against your will by doing something that affects you, you aren't hostage to the situation because of some silly passive-aggression principle. I don't disregard mutually beneficial trade, I think it is great. I think it is staggering that you misunderstand liberalism that much.

And just because you haven't read about orthodox economic theories on mises.org doesn't mean they don't exist :lol: You're going to say something completely stupid like I advocate raising taxes all the time or something equally Palin-esque. Rather than that, tell me what you do to make the world better.

See, me explicitly mentioning orthodox economic schools of thought and discussing how they relate to each other and to our discussions doesn't somehow magically mean I've never read about them. In fact it indicates the opposite...
Nor does something being orthodox mean they are right in every regard.

The other day you stated taxes should be raised during recessions and lowered during good times. It wasn't the first time you said as much.
There isn't a politician from Ron Paul to Mitt Romney to Barack Obama himself who would advocate such a tax policy. Nor is there an economist from Keynes to Laffer to Mises to Friedman who would subscribe to your imaginary economic school of thought.

The implication that you are somehow the enlightened one in economics here is frankly ridiculous.

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Feb 15 2015 05:11pm
Gold: 0.76
Feb 15 2015 05:11pm
Quote (Skinned @ 15 Feb 2015 17:31)
Bush 1 maybe, but during Bush 2 I felt like the king was wearing no clothes. I can't believe he got reelected, it was such a disappointed moment and I lost a lot of faith in my fellow Americans that day. It was at that point I knew that the only thing that mattered was which party won, and not who was running. It could have been a coffee table and the trailer parks would have enthusiastically voted for it as long as there was an R next to Coffee Table. Same thing is true in 2008, the anybody but Bush backlash. Plus I was like wtf is this Obama guy, I follow politics and I've barely heard of him at all, why is he running for POTUS? And now since he won anybody thinks they can do it so we're wasting time talking about one-term senators while elder statesmen are just "too old" or "RINOs" because they have the slightest understanding of how politics and government functions.

I try to have faith in people but they're pretty fucking stupid sometimes.

At least we are past the point of having ideological leaders anymore...we are just going to get economic managers that will become more and more authoritarian overtime as democratic values erode. You already hear people saying that democracy is no good and free markets will liberate us all, not self-determination and autonomy. It is happening, and people are okay with it because they believe that throughout human history people have been miserable because they didn't have smartphones in their pockets and appliances and were forced to interact with other people.

Economics is great and endlessly fascinating. It does operate under the flimsiest of pretenses though: people are rational.

But they'll embrace a theory that has crashed and burned repeatedly throughout history while ignoring the orthodox economics that serious economist are discussing now.

Don't forget he didn't really win ...win the election per se

Quote (Casey @ 15 Feb 2015 17:21)
Obama isn't the most intelligent of presidents (or he didn't know wtf he was getting into). I'm going with the latter. Bitch about Bush all you want but at least he knew what he was doing.

Fracking is an excellent alternative. Again, bitch, moan, cry about global warming all you want, but this has economical potential.

Economics follows its own path...once we start to run out of fossil fuels, good, we'll find alternatives.

Even if you're correct, it doesn't matter - you can't convince millions of people to change their habits for the cause of global warming (the same people who bitch about global warming are ironically the ones that give off the most CO2).

You really should read up a bit on something before jumping in to try and teach me a lesson sweetie, fraccing doesn't cause climate change

it inducts poisons into the water bearing strata while forcing cracks to form in the shale rock that is bearing the natural gas the pressure of the water and sand mixed with the chemicals creates fractures in the rock thats why it's called fraccing. The nasty part of fraccing is the vulnerable fresh water supply that is just under where they are fraccing it too runs in natural cracks and caverens in the limestone and the deeper sandstone typically the shale is a good seal or protective layer that protects these water supplies from ground water poisons .

Gold: 285.00
Feb 15 2015 05:25pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Feb 15 2015 06:10pm)
Right you just support and hire others to do the violent squashing for you.

See, me explicitly mentioning orthodox economic schools of thought and discussing how they relate to each other and to our discussions doesn't somehow magically mean I've never read about them. In fact it indicates the opposite...
Nor does something being orthodox mean they are right in every regard.

The other day you stated taxes should be raised during recessions and lowered during good times. It wasn't the first time you said as much.
There isn't a politician from Ron Paul to Mitt Romney to Barack Obama himself who would advocate such a tax policy. Nor is there an economist from Keynes to Laffer to Mises to Friedman who would subscribe to your imaginary economic school of thought.

The implication that you are somehow the enlightened one in economics here is frankly ridiculous.

I said consumption should be stimulated during recessions, a thing called aggregate expenditure. This requires some government spending, which requires some taxes. It is pretty orthodox, and obvious.

Did you really zero on one statement I said during my years here to indict me on? Lol.

Was it Mises or Rothbard the libertarian who said that parents are free to abuse their kids, and kids are free to find new parents, according to the market?

This post was edited by Skinned on Feb 15 2015 05:33pm
Gold: 1,152.00
Feb 15 2015 05:26pm
Quote (Gastly @ Feb 15 2015 06:09pm)
what's that
you seem to expect a lot from this neuro-meddling-stuff

It's microeconomics that doesn't make up stuff about how humans behave (so basically, it's actually a worthwhile study).

Neuro-meddling-stuff?

This post was edited by Voyaging on Feb 15 2015 05:26pm
Gold: 0.00
Feb 15 2015 05:31pm
So much derp... I don't even...
Feb 15 2015 05:41pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Feb 16 2015 02:26am)
It's microeconomics that doesn't make up stuff about how humans behave (so basically, it's actually a worthwhile study).

i hope that they remember to consult sociologists and anthropologists then

Quote (Voyaging @ Feb 16 2015 02:26am)
Neuro-meddling-stuff?

neuro-stuff seeking to truly peek in on consciousness and values. i don't expect much of it.
but then again i'm usually disgustingly pessimistic

This post was edited by Gastly on Feb 15 2015 05:43pm
Gold: 1,152.00
Feb 15 2015 05:50pm
Quote (Gastly @ Feb 15 2015 06:41pm)
i hope that they remember to consult sociologists and anthropologists then

neuro-stuff seeking to truly peek in on consciousness and values. i don't expect much of it.
but then again i'm usually disgustingly pessimistic

All it's trying to figure out is what people tend to do with money lol
Feb 15 2015 05:52pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Feb 16 2015 02:50am)
All it's trying to figure out is what people tend to do with money lol

in certain circumstances, personal, sociological or otherwise
Gold: 2,617.52
Feb 15 2015 06:00pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Feb 15 2015 10:53am)
Climate Change Is A Bigger Threat Than Terrorism, Says Obama

By sonali raj on February 13 2015 3:22 AM

US President Barack Obama believes climate change is a greater threat to national security in the United States than terrorism. His views on the issue were confirmed by White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...I'll let you guys know if I figure out his username on JSP because he's definitely been posting here in PaRD .

Banning him from jsp for abuse of executive orders would be epic.

As a chemical engineer, there probably won't be a real threat from global warming for at least the next 40 years. Obama's talking out of his ass par usual. Until then we should make best advantage of the resources we have to improve standard of living and open the door for better technology. Until we find a way cheaper than oil to power things, there's no point in sputtering about it because people are just going to keep buying gasoline.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1456789Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll