d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Creation Vs Evolution > Teach The Controversy!
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,152.00
Dec 15 2014 04:56pm
Quote (dro94 @ Dec 15 2014 05:49pm)
it is a scientific fact

wut
Gold: 278.00
Dec 15 2014 07:04pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Dec 15 2014 06:01pm)
You can interpret it upside down or inside out for all it matters, which is not at all

That evolution is real and the bible is false

Ascribing to scientific theory is not a matter of belief

Your irrational rejection of science can on a cultural scale result in hostility towards intellectualism, raising a caste of retarded neophytes that will not contribute as much to society

Because they are retarded

Erosion by the colorado river

When the downward erosion of a river occurs faster than its ability to cut a straight flood pain, resulting in a snakelike pattern as water courses through twisting valleys instead of a straight line

Natural selection is not a random process

Yes you must believe our theories :)
Gold: 10.77
Dec 15 2014 08:12pm
Do we have to choose one or the other? They aren't necessarily mutually exclusive but one is verifiable, the other is not.
Are there any transitional species? Yes.
How old is the earth/universe? 13.8 billion years
If we came from monkeys, why are there still monkeys? Monkeys and humans both came from a common ancestor. This ancestor species is extinct.
Where do we come from? A stork
What is our purpose? To live
Is the big bang empirically testable? Yes
is 7 day creation empirically testable? No
Is the bible to be interpreted literally? Some of it is, some of it isn't
What do the facts say? gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
Can you "believe" in creation/evolution and still contribute to society? Yes
What are the harmful effects of "believing" one way or the other? Dogmatism oppresses higher level thinking and scientific inquiry
Why did so many people sign that paper saying to be skeptical of evolution? Because they are science illiterate or simply want to win votes
How was the grand canyon formed? Water
What does 'incised meandering' mean? If the slope of an established meandering stream is suddenly increased, it will resume downward erosion - for example, a tectonic plate lifts a region
Can the millions of "bits" of data in the genome all come together randomly? Yes
Gold: 134.69
Dec 15 2014 10:11pm
How do you know how old the universe is? (how would you fact check the 13.8 bil claim)
How would you test the big bang?
How would you know Which parts to take literally, which to not, and which to throw out entirely? (as in what criteria should we use and how can we know this criteria is sound)
apparently nobody has heard of this thing : http://www.dissentfromdarwin.org/ (people who accept evolution could readily sign this)
No they cannot form randomly but they do not need to, just need enough "data" for "self replication"
Gold: 0.00
Dec 15 2014 10:19pm
Quote (Voyaging @ 15 Dec 2014 21:24)
Ironically, the new wave of American atheism was spawned by the Brits (Dawkins)! :)

BEcause he went to America and was ridiculously frustrated by what he saw from a country that claims to be so incredibly developed. Religion is rampant there... it's terrifying. Even Dawkins is a product of American religion.
Gold: 260.11
Dec 15 2014 10:26pm
Quote (dude_927 @ Dec 15 2014 10:11pm)
How do you know how old the universe is? (how would you fact check the 13.8 bil claim)
How would you know Which parts to take literally, which to not, and which to throw out entirely? (as in what criteria should we use and how can we know this criteria is sound)
apparently nobody has heard of this thing : http://www.dissentfromdarwin.org/ (people who accept evolution could readily sign this)
No they cannot form randomly but they do not need to, just need enough "data" for "self replication"

Sounds like a lot of things you could just google......
Gold: 134.69
Dec 15 2014 10:30pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Dec 15 2014 11:26pm)
Sounds like a lot of things you could just google......

i google them regularly, they are points of debate, not necessarily "hard facts" (except the first two, i honestly just don't understand red shift as well as i feel i should)
Gold: 260.11
Dec 15 2014 10:34pm
Quote (dude_927 @ Dec 15 2014 10:30pm)
i google them regularly, they are points of debate, not necessarily "hard facts" (except the first two, i honestly just don't understand red shift as well as i feel i should)

On the dissent from darwin thing, that list was made of scientists saying we should be skeptical of evolutionary theory. EVERY scientist thinks we should be skeptical about EVERY theory. There's a video by potholer54 on youtube of contacting the scientists who signed it and most of them don't realize what they were signing would be used by creationists for propaganda, and even more aren't any kind of biological scientist. You should look up Project Steve in which scientists who accept evolution who are named steve also made a list of scientists who accept evolution.
Gold: 10.77
Dec 15 2014 10:48pm
Maths
The Large Hadron Collider
Use Occam's Razor
Uh... I already said something about dogmatism repressing inquiry. But that website tho...

This post was edited by inkanddagger on Dec 15 2014 10:50pm
Gold: 0.00
Dec 15 2014 11:09pm
Quote (dude_927 @ 16 Dec 2014 04:30)

But you're a fucking swot when it comes to microwave background radiation ofc...

I don't think you've even bothered researching. You're just talking shit.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll