d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Good Deed Cop > Hurr
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 171.76
Dec 11 2014 01:55pm
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/good-news/alabama-officers-kind-deed-for-shoplifter-174300236.html

He should be put in charge of training officers me thinks

seeing people as human beings and looking for real soluitions
Gold: 2,489.69
Dec 11 2014 02:05pm
So selective enforcement is ok if the outcome is positive?

Yes thats a great thing to train officers, do what you think makes for positive situations...(sarcasm)

i dont disagree with this individual situation, but you cant train officers on individual situation you can only teach them guidelines.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Dec 11 2014 02:05pm
Gold: 8,933.00
Dec 11 2014 02:10pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Dec 11 2014 02:05pm)

Yes thats a great thing to train officers, do what you think makes for positive situations...(sarcasm)

i dont disagree with this individual situation, but you cant train officers on individual situation you can only teach them guidelines.

Selective enforcement? The store didn't press charges. Not that law enforcement isn't selective already.
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Dec 11 2014 02:13pm
While the Police Force would not be the best place to learn humanity , it is a quality that we all need to strive for.
Dec 11 2014 02:15pm
Quote (Santara @ Dec 11 2014 02:10pm)
Selective enforcement? The store didn't press charges. Not that law enforcement isn't selective already.

depending on the jurisdiction you live in the term "press charges" means nothing

a store can actively say that they dont wish for charges to be pressed against an offender and an officer or prosecutor can still charge the person

if i rape your 3 year old son and you say you dont want to press charges can i legally go on raping your son? no

alot of times with property crimes cops do take the stores wishes into consideration but there is no legal backdoor for stores to remove charges if they choose

i was stating that selective enforcement to repair selective enforcement is hypocritical folly with only your point of view as to what should be enforced taken into account making it just as selective objectively
Gold: 8,933.00
Dec 11 2014 02:22pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Dec 11 2014 02:15pm)
depending on the jurisdiction you live in the term "press charges" means nothing

a store can actively say that they dont wish for charges to be pressed against an offender and an officer or prosecutor can still charge the person

if i rape your 3 year old son and you say you dont want to press charges can i legally go on raping your son? no

alot of times with property crimes cops do take the stores wishes into consideration but there is no legal backdoor for stores to remove charges if they choose

i was stating that selective enforcement to repair selective enforcement is hypocritical folly with only your point of view as to what should be enforced taken into account making it just as selective objectively

The state can press charges for victims that are incapable of acting in their own defense (like a 3 year old). A store can act in its own defense and choose (quite reasonably, I might add) to refuse pressing charges where the negative publicity causes a greater adverse reaction than the crime itself. Pressing charges against the destitute over stealing a basic essential for eating would cause more damages than it prevents.

I agree that the statement "selective enforcement to repair selective enforcement is hypocritical folly" is accurate in and of itself, but it doesn't apply here. And cops who show humanity like the one posted in the OP should be lauded and held up as an example for other cops to follow. OP is right.
Dec 11 2014 02:24pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Dec 11 2014 02:05pm)

Quote (Santara @ Dec 11 2014 02:22pm)
The state can press charges for victims that are incapable of acting in their own defense (like a 3 year old). A store can act in its own defense and choose (quite reasonably, I might add) to refuse pressing charges where the negative publicity causes a greater adverse reaction than the crime itself. Pressing charges against the destitute over stealing a basic essential for eating would cause more damages than it prevents.

I agree that the statement "selective enforcement to repair selective enforcement is hypocritical folly" is accurate in and of itself, but it doesn't apply here. And cops who show humanity like the one posted in the OP should be lauded and held up as an example for other cops to follow. OP is right.

thats what that means

edit: and wholeheartedly agree officers showing good morals and correctly using selective enforcement for community policing should be held on a pedestal by the press and their communities, but that doesnt effect police training

This post was edited by thesnipa on Dec 11 2014 02:25pm
Gold: 109.01
Dec 11 2014 02:28pm
The crux is punishment vs reform and honestly being sorry. It doesnt make sense to prosecute someone over $1.25 when it's going to cost tax payers time and ~$1500, especially given the owner didnt want to press charges and it was a food item and not an opportunistic grabbing of materialism. Good deed cop indeed, police need to have a little more authority to see some issue's in grey instead of black and white.

So selective enforcement is ok if the outcome is positive? . Depending on the situation I'd say selective enforcement is rational.

http://www.adrforum.com/users/naf/resources/NewJerseyCivilLitigationCosts.pdf

Average Cost of Handling Each Civil Case
$ 1296.81
Average Cost of Handling Disposed Cases
$ 3112.36
It is worth noting that the $3,112.36 probably underestimates the state’s ultimate costs for
these types of cases because there are other costs that could not be included. For example,
a larger judicial docket means more judges, clerks, and other state employees required to
administer and support the courts. Eventually, many of these state employees retire and
the state must pay retirement and health benefits. Although these figures are difficult to
calculate, they are sure to be substantial, thus providing the state with “legacy costs”
associated with large caseloads.

This post was edited by Master_Zappy on Dec 11 2014 02:34pm
Gold: 0.76
Dec 11 2014 02:30pm
Quote (bitg_pj @ 11 Dec 2014 14:55)
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/good-news/alabama-officers-kind-deed-for-shoplifter-174300236.html

He should be put in charge of training officers me thinks

seeing people as human beings and looking for real soluitions

Quote (card_sultan @ 11 Dec 2014 15:13)
While the Police Force would not be the best place to learn humanity , it is a quality that we all need to strive for.

I agree This kind of positive message it a great thing.

Quote (thesnipa @ 11 Dec 2014 15:05)

where are you finding the bad in this dude? it seems like you are just stirring shit for the stink on this one
Gold: 171.76
Dec 11 2014 02:36pm
Quote (Santara @ Dec 11 2014 04:22pm)

bolded the important parts
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll