d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Just Starting Out > Details Inside
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7.41
Nov 23 2014 05:55pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Nov 23 2014 06:44pm)
my coworkers came from AT&T/bellsouth, and they'd spend 80% of the day either in meetings or working with documentation. very little time was spent coding. at my current job, i think i spent 2 hours in meetings the past 2 weeks; one to interview a developer and one to interview an ops guy.

you get paid for overtime, i hope?

I do, he doesn't. It should be mentioned that neither of us HAD to do this. We chose to because we thoroughly enjoy the work we are doing.
Gold: 3,804.50
Nov 23 2014 06:10pm
Quote (SelfTaught @ Nov 23 2014 06:50pm)
that sounds awful. would you say thats the case for most devs?

they explained AT&T is a public company, so they need a large paperwork history for everything they do. they needed to bounce an app container in production, so they had to schedule a meeting with the dev team, qa team, project managers, IT managers, director, and a VP or two. took several hours for them to make the decision, including paperwork with signatures.

in contrast, at the company i'm at now, the dba noticed something funny in a log file, so he bounced it on the fly without even telling anyone.

AT&T was nice because they always had a lot of documentation on what they needed to do. screen mockups, APIs, list of validation, etc. at my company, we don't have requirements. we have one meeting where a guy describes what he wants, then we go on a limb and build what we think he wants.

so it really just depends on the company.

Gotta say I'm jelly, I wish I did it for a living... Its hard to get a job without a degree even though I probably know as much, if not more than some kids coming out of school with a bachelors degree.

a lot of people with bachelors dont know shit. at my school (Georgia Institute of Technology), you could pick the right classes so there's almost no coding involved past the first two entry classes. i knew a fair bit of coding before i started college, so it was a huge waste of time for me.

you need to try and network. quite a few jobs are gained by word of mouth, especially if you're a contractor and switch jobs regularly.

This post was edited by carteblanche on Nov 23 2014 06:17pm
Nov 23 2014 06:18pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Nov 23 2014 07:10pm)
they explained AT&T is a public company, so they need a large paperwork history for everything they do. they needed to bounce an app container in production, so they had to schedule a meeting with the dev team, qa team, project managers, IT managers, director, and a VP or two. took several hours for them to make the decision, including paperwork with signatures.

in contrast, at the company i'm at now, the dba noticed something funny in a log file, so he bounced it on the fly without even telling anyone.

AT&T was nice because they always had a lot of documentation on what they needed to do. screen mockups, APIs, list of validation, etc. at my company, we don't have requirements. we have one meeting where a guy describes what he wants, then we go on a limb and build what we think he wants.

a lot of people with bachelors dont know shit. at my school, you could pick the right classes so there's almost no coding involved past the first two entry classes. personally, i avoided all of those and picked all the coding classes because they were much easier than writing papers imo.

you need to try and network. quite a few jobs are gained by word of mouth, especially if you're a contractor and switch jobs regularly.

I work for a large company, and I don't have to attend those meetings. Those meetings are for Product and Project managers, as well as Architects. Development teams do development work; period. I have had people from AT&T come work for us, and it's a culture shock to them that they are not required to be apart of all the red tape anymore.

So, just to be clear, large companies are not all the same. Some are organized better than others.

Gold: 3,804.50
Nov 23 2014 06:27pm
Quote (Minkomonster @ Nov 23 2014 07:18pm)
I work for a large company, and I don't have to attend those meetings. Those meetings are for Product and Project managers, as well as Architects. Development teams do development work; period. I have had people from AT&T come work for us, and it's a culture shock to them that they are not required to be apart of all the red tape anymore.

So, just to be clear, large companies are not all the same. Some are organized better than others.

is it a public company? i think it has less to do with size and more about public or not.

i think my current company is considered medium-large. 5000+ employees, maybe a million customers. but IT is only two floors in corporate headquarters.
Nov 23 2014 06:31pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Nov 23 2014 07:27pm)
is it a public company? i think it has less to do with size and more about public or not.

i think my current company is considered medium-large. 5000+ employees, maybe a million customers. but IT is only two floors in corporate headquarters.

Yea, it is public.
Gold: 0.10
Nov 23 2014 07:35pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Nov 23 2014 04:10pm)

a lot of people with bachelors dont know shit. at my school (Georgia Institute of Technology), you could pick the right classes so there's almost no coding involved past the first two entry classes. i knew a fair bit of coding before i started college, so it was a huge waste of time for me.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not a contractor or anything. I work for bluehost as a "scripter" troubleshooting websites, php / ruby / Perl scripts. The next step up in the company for me would be dev but our developers primarily use Perl and I don't know I feel about that lol. I use and have been using c++ for a while and that's what I'd like to use as a dev but I might just have to go the Perl route until I can find a different job.

This post was edited by SelfTaught on Nov 23 2014 07:35pm
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll