d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Just Starting Out > Details Inside
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,594.85
Nov 23 2014 05:25pm
Quote (Minkomonster @ Nov 24 2014 07:42am)
I believe the reason he asked that question is because of the last bit in this sentence:

You seem to like it because it doesn't require actual programming. That's a red flag. The question was valid: most people that want to make games don't understand that there is a difference between game designer and game developer. Most people who like games, but have never code before, think they are the same. But they aren't. And most people who want to "make games", actually would rather be the designer. But the designers don;t necessarily make the game. They just map it out, and then pass off requirements to the development team.

So what exactly is your motivation for learning programming?

Because I want to. Simple as that, like I said in my last post you don't need an explanation as to why you want to learn something.

I simply said that I was messing around with that program and that It required no programming to little programming experience.

Im actually quite interested why you guys are saying because I tried a program that I should not be looking into learning coding? It makes no sense.

Sure I like the program because of what it does and the ease of use however I still want to be able to read, write and understand the inner framework of a program.

Anyhow this topic has gone off topic. Lets move on shall we.

Gold: 7.41
Nov 23 2014 05:29pm
Quote (Dedication101 @ Nov 23 2014 06:25pm)
Because I want to. Simple as that, like I said in my last post you don't need an explanation as to why you want to learn something.

I simply said that I was messing around with that program and that It required no programming to little programming experience.

Im actually quite interested why you guys are saying because I tried a program that I should not be looking into learning coding? It makes no sense.

Sure I like the program because of what it does and the ease of use however I still want to be able to read, write and understand the inner framework of a program.

Anyhow this topic has gone off topic. Lets move on shall we.

Because you came to the programming subforum saying you want to learn programming, and then post that you are using some other thing that doesn't require programming. Awesome. Good luck with that. I am glad you found something NOT PROGRAMMING to tell us about on the PROGRAMMING subforum.

But what do you want from us? If you would rather do NOT PROGRAMMING, then why tell the PROGRAMMERS about it?
Nov 23 2014 05:31pm
Quote (Minkomonster @ Nov 24 2014 10:29am)
Because you came to the programming subforum saying you want to learn programming, and then post that you are using some other thing that doesn't require programming. Awesome. Good luck with that. I am glad you found something NOT PROGRAMMING to tell us about on the PROGRAMMING subforum.

But what do you want from us? If you would rather do NOT PROGRAMMING, then why tell the PROGRAMMERS about it?

I also said in the same post that I had done 8 hours straight of tutorials in C++ and was taking a small break to let it sink in.

Gold: 0.10
Nov 23 2014 05:32pm
Quote (Dedication101 @ Nov 23 2014 03:31pm)
I also said in the same post that I had done 8 hours straight of tutorials in C++ and was taking a small break to let it sink in.

Man.. only if i could do 8 straight hours of programming. i'd be in heaven. honestly.
Gold: 3,804.50
Nov 23 2014 05:35pm
i was concerned you might be going down the wrong path. like minko was saying, most newbies dont understand the differences between different fields. i didnt want you to waste a lot of hours learning to program if all you wanted to do was make games. i remember going crazy trying to make pie crusts. wish someone told me i could just buy a pre-made pie crust and save the headache.

but if you're exploring it without a definite goal in mind to make games, then that's fine.

Quote (Dedication101 @ Nov 23 2014 06:31pm)

you didn't, actually. that was the post afterwards.

This post was edited by carteblanche on Nov 23 2014 05:40pm
Gold: 7.41
Nov 23 2014 05:35pm
Quote (SelfTaught @ Nov 23 2014 06:32pm)
Man.. only if i could do 8 straight hours of programming. i'd be in heaven. honestly.

Me and a coworker spent 14 hours straight at work last Thursday. It was awesome.

I swear, if the rest of our team knew what we do for them.
Nov 23 2014 05:42pm
Quote (SelfTaught @ Nov 24 2014 10:32am)

Im sure I will be able to when I can completely understand it :)

Quote (carteblanche @ Nov 24 2014 10:35am)
you didn't, actually. that was the post afterwards.

Yes, you are correct but I did say "Just trying to take in the first set of video tutorials that I have watched."
Gold: 3,804.50
Nov 23 2014 05:44pm
Quote (SelfTaught @ Nov 23 2014 06:32pm)

my coworkers came from AT&T/bellsouth, and they'd spend 80% of the day either in meetings or working with documentation. very little time was spent coding. at my current job, i think i spent 2 hours in meetings the past 2 weeks; one to interview a developer and one to interview an ops guy.

Quote (Minkomonster @ Nov 23 2014 06:35pm)
Me and a coworker spent 14 hours straight at work last Thursday. It was awesome.

you get paid for overtime, i hope?
Nov 23 2014 05:48pm
Quote (Minkomonster @ Nov 23 2014 03:35pm)

Every once in a while I get to spend 8 - 12 straight hours programming. When I do, I have to try to remind myself to eat >.< I tend to get so indulged in whatever im deving I'll forget lol.

Gotta say I'm jelly, I wish I did it for a living... Its hard to get a job without a degree even though I probably know as much, if not more than some kids coming out of school with a bachelors degree.

Quote (carteblanche @ Nov 23 2014 03:44pm)

also, this^

This post was edited by SelfTaught on Nov 23 2014 05:49pm
Nov 23 2014 05:50pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Nov 23 2014 03:44pm)
my coworkers came from AT&T/bellsouth, and they'd spend 80% of the day either in meetings or working with documentation. very little time was spent coding. at my current job, i think i spent 2 hours in meetings the past 2 weeks; one to interview a developer and one to interview an ops guy.

that sounds awful. would you say thats the case for most devs?
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll