d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Graphic Design > Graphic Requests >
Poll > Italian Resturant Menu > Check It Out
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 0.01
Nov 22 2014 10:52pm
Picture in the bottom is a bad choice (not the placement, but the picture itself). You don't need to advertise the wine, let the wine list do that. Advertise the food, make the meals look deliciously irresistible. You should look at the Denny's menu, I know it sounds corny to reference a fast-food like place, but their menu is done amazingly well. I also do not think having such a thick border is a great idea, it makes it look cheap and takes up valuable space. The font is not really representative of Italy, and it's a bit too bolded, making it hard to read. Try something a bit more cursive, but not too cursive that you have to know how to write in cursive to read it. Googling Italina Fonts and clicking the DaFont link might be a great start. The Bellas logo looks a bit poorly made, what are the "bullet holes" in them for, and is it "Bella's" or "Bellas"? Also, maybe tone down the background a bit. Lay down a similar beige background and then make the opacity on the texture layer about 40-60% (play with it) to make it not so easy to focus on, but not too bland. Sorry this is more criticism than constructive, but hope it helps!

p.s.
Balls on a plate for $0!? Absurdity! :P

Gold: 700.00
Nov 23 2014 10:35am
Quote (Kokaines @ Nov 22 2014 09:51pm)
How many pages? what kind of menu is it? will it be like a leather menu or just something in plastic you open up?

http://media.wix.com/ugd/f3d693_6fc56e7b46774b6199b32dbeb0d94d73.pdf

This is the one I made for my own restaurant! Ikno Ikno... it's in french but can still help ya!
!!
Mine is in leather, 6 pages including the breakfast menu and a small insert (half of a regular page) for promotions and specials!

The menu gotta reflect the image of the restaurant. Don't put something really classy when it's a family place or a pub

It is a Tri Fold Menu this is only one side of it then the other side im gonna just make based off this side, I believe its just gonna be a plastic tri fold menu
Gold: 11,897.57
Nov 23 2014 10:39am
Quote (smoothy9 @ Nov 23 2014 05:52am)
Picture in the bottom is a bad choice (not the placement, but the picture itself).  You don't need to advertise the wine, let the wine list do that.  Advertise the food, make the meals look deliciously irresistible.  You should look at the Denny's menu, I know it sounds corny to reference a fast-food like place, but their menu is done amazingly well.  I also do not think having such a thick border is a great idea, it makes it look cheap and takes up valuable space.  The font is not really representative of Italy, and it's a bit too bolded, making it hard to read.  Try something a bit more cursive, but not too cursive that you have to know how to write in cursive to read it.  Googling Italina Fonts and clicking the DaFont link might be a great start.  The Bellas logo looks a bit poorly made, what are the "bullet holes" in them for, and is it "Bella's" or "Bellas"?  Also, maybe tone down the background a bit.  Lay down a similar beige background and then make the opacity on the texture layer about 40-60% (play with it) to make it not so easy to focus on, but not too bland.  Sorry this is more criticism than constructive, but hope it helps!

p.s.
Balls on a plate for $0!?  Absurdity! :P

listen to this man. also tell us what your target group and pricing strategy is
Nov 23 2014 11:33am
The back i was just putting a bunch of titles ect. testing them but i think im gonna go with the theme i have on the front, but im still playing around... lmk

Gold: 11,897.57
Nov 23 2014 01:12pm
version 1 is the "best". but the placement is all wrong mate

catering font looks better imo
the whatever font looks horrible. id go for a simple font here if u take a "handwritten" one for the heading

besides the fact that the italian map looks rly low in quality placement is rly off. same goes for the logo and actually everything.

try to take a white layer opacity 20 to 25 and put it over the background (pisa)
Gold: 0.00
Nov 23 2014 02:00pm
I think your best bet is to copycat a good menu that has already been made.

Don't try to use your creativity, at this point, imo.

Also, I would recommend doing your design in Illustrator or InDesign; else you'll most likely get ''problems'' with either : resolution, bleeding, colour mode, etc.

Also don't stroke text like that this menu doesn't go with current designing trends. Go for simplicity.

I don't really like the ''grungy'' feeling of your menu either. Go for nice colours that are appealing... Go read a text or two about complementary colours and how to use them.

Red and green... I understand they are the colours of Italy, but you already put a map of Italy, no need to put the colours of the flag there.

Might as well just put the flag somewhere in your design....

I would highly consider making someone else than you making this.... I know you said you have made a lot of signatures in the past... but it doesn't work that way :

A good designer knows how to make signature. Someone who made signatures isn't necessary a good graphic designer.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Nov 23 2014 02:23pm
dont go too italian with the colours n everything
i find that super annoying and trying too hard as it would be a fake restaurant
Gold: 0.01
Nov 24 2014 12:47pm
Quote (Beyond @ Nov 23 2014 01:23pm)
dont go too italian with the colours n everything
i find that super annoying and trying too hard as it would be a fake restaurant

this, stick to the black and beige, throwing all of these colors at me makes me feel like a child looking at a sloppy coloring book.
Gold: 23,485.50
Nov 24 2014 05:18pm
Look I'm going to be quite blunt and honest. If you want to grow as a designer you gotta be ready to hear the BAD.
You won't want to hear it, but as someone who's significant other works in the restaurant biz, has helped open restaurants before and comes from a city that is oversaturated with Italian joints I have to say something.

your design is outdated and looks like something you would pick out of a book at the OfficeMax/Office Depot/kinkos copy center.

1) Ditch the Italian flag theme - this is just super cheezy NO RED WHITE AND GREEN!
2) Tri-fold menus are the worst. They look cheap, they are cheap. If you really care about helping your sis, do some research on current menu design trends. I will help you with a link for starters: http://www.underconsideration.com/artofthemenu/
3) STOP USING DEFAULT and BASIC TYPEFACES
4) KERN - if you don't know what this means you probably have no business designing ANYTHING in print
5) The background is simply too prominent you want no more than 10-15% opacity if you are going thematic with the background on white paper stock
6) Always design in 300DPI for print, make sure your file is setup in CMYK with a 25% bleed - if you don't know what I mean or how to do this, again you have NO BUSINESS getting paid to work on a print project.

Go watch Kitchen Nightmares seriously. One of the things THAT ALWAYS COMES UP is the freaking menu because everyone thinks they can design and everyone seems to think they need tons of page or folding pages

This post was edited by Whatshertoes on Nov 24 2014 05:18pm
Dec 3 2014 08:23pm
Quote (Whatshertoes @ Nov 24 2014 06:18pm)
Look I'm going to be quite blunt and honest. If you want to grow as a designer you gotta be ready to hear the BAD.
You won't want to hear it, but as someone who's significant other works in the restaurant biz, has helped open restaurants before and comes from a city that is oversaturated with Italian joints I have to say something.

your design is outdated and looks like something you would pick out of a book at the OfficeMax/Office Depot/kinkos copy center.

1) Ditch the Italian flag theme - this is just super cheezy NO RED WHITE AND GREEN!
2) Tri-fold menus are the worst. They look cheap, they are cheap. If you really care about helping your sis, do some research on current menu design trends. I will help you with a link for starters: http://www.underconsideration.com/artofthemenu/
3) STOP USING DEFAULT and BASIC TYPEFACES
4) KERN - if you don't know what this means you probably have no business designing ANYTHING in print
5) The background is simply too prominent you want no more than 10-15% opacity if you are going thematic with the background on white paper stock
6) Always design in 300DPI for print, make sure your file is setup in CMYK with a 25% bleed - if you don't know what I mean or how to do this, again you have NO BUSINESS getting paid to work on a print project.

Go watch Kitchen Nightmares seriously. One of the things THAT ALWAYS COMES UP is the freaking menu because everyone thinks they can design and everyone seems to think they need tons of page or folding pages

Thats why i posted this was to get info on what everyone thinks im doing bad, ive edited the menu more yet and im still working on it, like i said these are just rough drafts for now..

This menu is just the takeout Menu for the inhouse menu were making a big single sheet.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.
Go Back To Graphic Requests Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll