d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Basketball > Toronto Raptors > Discussion, Love, Hate, Rage, Etc.
Prev1107108109110111195Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Apr 11 2017 10:20pm
Quote (Moofy @ Apr 10 2017 04:28pm)
May be jumping the gun here - but if the Raps make the ECF, I'm excited for PJ to be given the task of guarding LeBron.

It's impossible to shut him down but it didn't see to work out well with Carroll, PJ is a much tougher defender so I'd be interested to see how that goes.

I'm curious to see how he does guarding Giannis, I know Toronto is going to throw PJ on him to give DeRozan a break from having Giannis guard him.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 505.00
Trader: Trusted
Apr 12 2017 06:49am
Quote (Moofy @ 10 Apr 2017 17:28)
May be jumping the gun here - but if the Raps make the ECF, I'm excited for PJ to be given the task of guarding LeBron.

It's impossible to shut him down but it didn't see to work out well with Carroll, PJ is a much tougher defender so I'd be interested to see how that goes.

Quote (NoMNoK @ 12 Apr 2017 00:20)
I'm curious to see how he does guarding Giannis, I know Toronto is going to throw PJ on him to give DeRozan a break from having Giannis guard him.

It's going to depend on the refs, especially with Lebron. PJ is more than capable of guarding him, but he's a physical defender and there's always a tight whistle on guys guarding Lebron. Giannis should be an easier player for PJ to guard but he's way too long for PJ. Lebron is a longer athlete too but he doesn't use his length the same way Giannis does.

Carroll's defense depends on his health more than anything. He could competently guard Lebron.

This is where you miss James Johnson. A major upside is having Ibaka ready to help. He's Biyombo 2.0.
Gold: 171.76
Apr 12 2017 09:30pm
Quote (RewtheBrave @ Apr 12 2017 08:49am)
It's going to depend on the refs, especially with Lebron. PJ is more than capable of guarding him, but he's a physical defender and there's always a tight whistle on guys guarding Lebron. Giannis should be an easier player for PJ to guard but he's way too long for PJ. Lebron is a longer athlete too but he doesn't use his length the same way Giannis does.

Carroll's defense depends on his health more than anything. He could competently guard Lebron.

This is where you miss James Johnson. A major upside is having Ibaka ready to help. He's Biyombo 2.0.

Except Ibaka can also make shots
Retired Moderator
Apr 13 2017 09:24am
Quote (bitg_pj @ 12 Apr 2017 23:30)
Except Ibaka can also make shots

He's a better player. He's actually an incredible pick-up. Raptors fans must credit and thank the Magic for really having no idea how to use Ibaka, and thereby making him look like a has-been.

I was tempted to not comment on the win against the Cavs, but I guess I'll just say that it was a waste of time, no matter what either team says about how it may prepare bench guys for possible minutes, re-integrate Kyle after injury, or whatever. Basically, the Raptors 905 is better than Cleveland's veteran bench guys when they play outside of their roles, which really doesn't say much of anything. Cleveland is DEEP, and they function in roles. Moreover, the real concern for the Raps is Lebron/Kyrie/Love (assuming Love is 100%) and getting out on 3 point shooters. Depth vs depth I think the Raps have the advantage, but position vs position Cleveland has a few very difficult match-ups for Toronto.

It's obvious that EVERYTHING revolves around:

- beating TT on the boards
- keeping Lebron below his playoff averages
- making sure Kyrie doesn't have more than 1 BIG game
- getting out on 3s

This is a LOT to deal with, but I think that everyone can agree that when the Raptors play their best basketball, they are the biggest threat to the Cavs. The Cavs have looked vulnerable this year and their defence has been questionable, but they've been getting buckets and 8 of their losses came when Lebron wasn't playing.

I think the Raps can legitimately beat the Cavs this year even if both teams play well, but the Cavs still have the advantage. I'd expect 4-2 for the Cavs, but I could see any possible outcome, except I can't see Cleveland not winning at least 2 games. Both teams got better, but it seems like the Cavs only got better on paper.

First things first: the BUCKS. This is all about dealing with their effort and athleticism. Giannis is the big ticket. I can't see the Bucks winning the series if the Raptors play even close to their potential, but I can see the Bucks being dangerous for anyone if they get their confidence up. That's what you always fear with young teams with a talented star-superstar. You fear that they start to believe they can beat you. So you need to lay the hammer down hard. The Bucks aren't ripe for contention but they remain an unknown.

This is the most interesting EC playoffs we've had in a very long time. My breakdown:

- Celtics have played exceptionally well as a team and they are well-coached. Isaiah is phenomenal. I don't think they have enough talent to win the East but they could beat the Raps/Wiz/Cavs if any of them let up. They play hard and they play good defence.
- Cavaliers have the best talent at the top of the East. They have lacked defence this year but they believe they can turn it on when they want. Lebron is top 3-5 all-time and Kyrie is exceptional on offence; TT is one of the best rebounders and defenders in the game. They have shooters, depth, experience and role players. Outside of defence, the only question is about their energy (old team). I think it is fair to expect them to win the East, hands down.
- Raptors are young, deep, and they have some solid talent. They are the strongest defensive team in the East but they are also inconsistent. The biggest questions for them are about effort and not choking. They are the only legitimate threat to Cleveland if every team in the East plays well, but I still give a 4-2 advantage to Cleveland.
- Wizards are also inconsistent. Wall has shown hints of greatness, and the Wizards have good depth. I see them as a darkhorse to take the East, but I feel like they're missing something.
- Hawks don't seem cohesive and while they have talent I don't *think* they have enough juice to make/win ECF.
- BUCKS are all about potential and athleticism. Giannis is awesome.
- Pacers are the least cohesive team in the East. On paper they should be 3rd/4th place (or better) but they have locker room issues. Talent without proper resolve :(
- Bulls ... interesting but they just don't have enough. They could beat anyone ... once. Jimmy Buckets can beat a team once or twice, but up against the better teams I can't see him carrying the Bulls to a series win.

idk if the Heat can still fight for a spot but I respect their talent.

This post was edited by RewtheBrave on Apr 13 2017 09:25am
Retired Moderator
Gold: 98,744.00
Apr 13 2017 09:29am
Bucks in 6
Apr 13 2017 10:15am
Quote (RewtheBrave @ Apr 12 2017 07:49am)

Quoting this from a Bucks poster on RealGM

"Funny side story: Back in early 2014, Phoenix flew in late to Milwaukee for a game and Plumlee, Frye, and Tucker showed up to Rogues. It's a slow winter night so there's not much of a crowd. Eventually they start conversing with the girls in our group and we all go back to a friend's place to continue drinking. We ask PJ about Giannis who is only a rook at the time, and dude just **** on him. Saying how he's trash, will never turn into anything. A real smug dude.

So win or lose, I hope Giannis abuses PJ. Would be a satisfying culmination to one of my life's more unexpected moments."

not the first RealGM poster who has said PJ Tucker is an asshole, so I hope Giannis shits on him. still, I respect his tenacity and how he doesn't let his teammates slack on defense
Retired Moderator
Apr 14 2017 11:12am
Quote (NoMNoK @ 13 Apr 2017 12:15)
Quoting this from a Bucks poster on RealGM

"Funny side story: Back in early 2014, Phoenix flew in late to Milwaukee for a game and Plumlee, Frye, and Tucker showed up to Rogues. It's a slow winter night so there's not much of a crowd. Eventually they start conversing with the girls in our group and we all go back to a friend's place to continue drinking. We ask PJ about Giannis who is only a rook at the time, and dude just **** on him. Saying how he's trash, will never turn into anything. A real smug dude.

So win or lose, I hope Giannis abuses PJ. Would be a satisfying culmination to one of my life's more unexpected moments."

not the first RealGM poster who has said PJ Tucker is an asshole, so I hope Giannis shits on him. still, I respect his tenacity and how he doesn't let his teammates slack on defense

Wow, damn. Everyone speaks so highly of him in Toronto, and he seems like a true leader on the floor.

I hope it's not true that he's an asshole. Hopefully if he was one, he reformed :(
Apr 16 2017 12:57am
I hope raptors lose first round so they can finally fire casey
Retired Moderator
Apr 17 2017 07:56am
Quote (ButOniiChanILoveYou @ 16 Apr 2017 02:57)
I hope raptors lose first round so they can finally fire casey

He's still on contract next year afaik so that's no bueno unless they want to break the contract.

Bucks did EVERYTHING I said they needed to do to win and the Raps did just about everything I said they needed to do to lose. gz to the Bucks. The Raps need to check their hearts. If you're not willing to play hard for 4 QTRS, you risk losing to anyone. This was a thumping. I didn't like how the Raps switched on Giannis. They need to address that yesterday.

Brogdon was an absolute steal in the draft. He played exceptionally well in game 1 and I'm not sure he got the credit he deserved for his overall performance. Middleton struggled in some ways but, otherwise, I felt the Bucks played well individually and as a team. I didn't see much I liked from the Raptors. Tucker was good, Demar scored some buckets, and Ibaka made some beastly plays but he wasn't playing up to his usual level.

Giannis played up to what we've been expecting in this year's playoffs. He's such an incredible athlete.
Gold: 13,750.00
Apr 17 2017 08:14am
rofl, what a joke team
Go Back To Basketball Topic List
Prev1107108109110111195Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll