d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > City Hall Subpoenas Sermons > Horrible Breach Of Church/state Imo
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Oct 18 2014 07:51pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 19 Oct 2014 01:45)
...churches are allowed to discriminate in certain situations . Without a doubt they are free to teach and believe that homosexuality is an evil .

In a private place maybe. In government funded public arenas? I disagree.

Quote (sylvannos @ 19 Oct 2014 01:38)
Ew and no thanks.

I'm against people saying racist/homophobic/anti religious bullshit, but it shouldn't be arbitrarily enforced separate from regular harassment or threats.

It's ridiculous you can't buy Mein Kampf in Germany or that South Park could be banned as hate speech.

That's not the kind of thing I'm advocating. People should be able to do what they wish in their own homes. If they want to hang swastikas on the inside walls of their house then I have no problem with it. It's when that sort of thing leaves their private lives and starts infringing on others'.

I'm big on freedom of speech... just not in public areas.

This post was edited by Scaly on Oct 18 2014 07:57pm
Gold: 18,470.03
Oct 18 2014 07:59pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Oct 18 2014 08:45pm)
...churches are allowed to discriminate in certain situations . Without a doubt they are free to teach and believe that homosexuality is an evil .

I would never discriminate against someone or even be rude to someone who has sexuality issues. I do disagree with the left that these people are 100 percent healthy though.

Call it whatever you want, a sexual identity disorder or disease, but a healthy sex drive consists of a guy liking gals vice versa. Something went wrong if it's anything else imo. Sexuality is supposed to lead to offspring. Biologically the male and female parts fit together and serve an obvious purpose.
Gold: 25.00
Oct 18 2014 08:00pm
Quote (nineinchnailz @ Oct 18 2014 08:59pm)
I would never even be rude to someone who has sexuality issues.

LOL

you just did.

:)
Gold: 285.00
Oct 18 2014 08:01pm
Quote (nineinchnailz @ Oct 18 2014 08:59pm)
I would never discriminate against someone or even be rude to someone who has sexuality issues.  I do disagree with the left that these people are 100 percent healthy though. 

Call it whatever you want,  a sexual identity disorder or disease, but a healthy sex drive consists of a guy liking gals vice versa.  Something went wrong if it's anything else imo.  Sexuality is supposed to lead to offspring.  Biologically the male and female parts fit together and serve an obvious purpose.

You know that is like your opinion man.

You say sexuality is supposed to lead to offspring. Well I just cannot trust a man who thinks blowjobs are bad.

This post was edited by Skinned on Oct 18 2014 08:01pm
Gold: 7,252.72
Oct 18 2014 08:03pm
...advocating no freedom of speech in public areas , what a hoot :rofl:
Gold: 22,720.48
Oct 18 2014 08:11pm
Loving the spin on this. What happened is the city passed an anti-discrimination measure and the pastors that are being subpoenaed are part of a group suing the city after they tried to repeal the ordinance through a referendum, the city threw out a lot of the signatures, so they sued them in response. Part of open discovery in litigation, they're requesting the sermons to prove their case on throwing those signatures out. I'm sure some of you can figure out what that means when a church is using their sermons to push a political agenda. Thing is, they changed the wording and are focusing specifically on the instructions they were issuing their members.

So if anyone is actually violating the separation, it's the pastors in question. They opened the door by suing the city.

This post was edited by Arsenic_Touch on Oct 18 2014 08:16pm
Gold: 0.00
Oct 18 2014 08:18pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 19 Oct 2014 02:03)
...advocating no freedom of speech in public areas , what a hoot  :rofl:

Not no freedom. Just restrictions on activities which are damaging to others.

It may sound ridiculous to someone who is used to the American ideas of freedom of speech but we already have these laws in the UK and they work quite well for us.

for example -

A person who uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or displays any written material which is threatening, abusive or insulting, is guilty of an offence if—

(a) he intends thereby to stir up racial hatred, or
(b) having regard to all the circumstances racial hatred is likely to be stirred up thereby.

and

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if, with intent to cause a person harassment, alarm or distress, he— (a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or (b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting, thereby causing that or another person harassment, alarm or distress. A person who uses threatening words or behaviour, or displays any written material which is threatening, is guilty of an offence.

In the end all I'm advocating is a restriction on the freedom to hurt others. There are already many laws in America which prohibit that... indeed most every law is put in place to stop one party from harming or infringing upon the rights and freedoms of another.

This post was edited by Scaly on Oct 18 2014 08:20pm
Gold: 500.00
Oct 18 2014 08:20pm
Quote (Arsenic_Touch @ Oct 18 2014 09:11pm)
Loving the spin on this. What happened is the city passed an anti-discrimination measure and the pastors that are being subpoenaed are part of a group suing the city after they tried to repeal the ordinance through a referendum, the city threw out a lot of the signatures, so they sued them in response.  Part of open discovery in litigation, they're requesting the sermons to prove their case on throwing those signatures out. I'm sure some of you can figure out what that means when a church is using their sermons to push a political agenda. Thing is, they changed the wording and are focusing specifically on the instructions they were issuing their members.

So if anyone is actually violating the separation, it's the pastors in question. They opened the door by suing the city.

the plot thickens :bouncy:
Gold: 12,730.67
Oct 18 2014 08:21pm
Lots of freedom haters here...not even going to waste my time given that several people in this thread are far too gone. Your ideas are dangerous and I would not shed a tear if you were executed.
Gold: 18,470.03
Oct 18 2014 08:39pm
Quote (Mangix @ Oct 18 2014 09:00pm)
LOL

you just did.

:)

That's as politely as I could put it. I've never talked to someone with those problems about it.
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 18 2014 09:01pm)
You know that is like your opinion man.

You say sexuality is supposed to lead to offspring.  Well I just cannot trust a man who thinks blowjobs are bad.

As long as it's a women that is a healthy sex drive.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll