d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > How Far Have You To Go For Fresh Produce?
Prev18910
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 7,525.35
Apr 9 2014 12:17am
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 9 2014 02:13am)
:wallbash:

What you arent concerned with the freedom of the store owners and depriving the residents of certain areas of all the other goods that a convenience store might sell them?
If a convenience store doesn't sell fruits and vegetables there is usually a pretty damn good reason.

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Apr 9 2014 12:18am
Gold: 655.00
Apr 9 2014 12:28am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 9 2014 02:03am)
What if they dont want to sell that stuff?
Perhaps its not financially viable for them.

allow the current stores to be grandfathered in if they choose not to, but make it a legal requirement for new stores, perhaps even make it part of zoning ordinances so the zoning board could allow variances for stores that didn't want to sell them if the board so choose.

in this way stores that already exist wont have to worry, while stores that are looking to open know exactly what they are getting into in opening a corner shop/convenience store.

Gold: 7,525.35
Apr 9 2014 12:40am
Quote (Ylem122 @ Apr 9 2014 02:28am)
allow the current stores to be grandfathered in if they choose not to, but make it a legal requirement for new stores, perhaps even make it part of zoning ordinances so the zoning board could allow variances for stores that didn't want to sell them if the board so choose.

in this way stores that already exist wont have to worry, while stores that are looking to open know exactly what they are getting into in opening a corner shop/convenience store.

I still more than loathe the idea. Its antithetical to freedom and economically inefficient.
Apr 9 2014 12:59am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 9 2014 02:40am)
I still more than loathe the idea. Its antithetical to freedom and economically inefficient.

if your planning on 4 freezers, 6 refrigerators, and 2 refrigerated islands that's a convenience store and you have more than enough refrigeration space to sell the stuff on the list.

if you have a freezer for ice cream and 2 fridges for drinks, that's a gas station or a tobacco shop and dosnt have to sell that stuff.

further more with it as an ordinance, the person could request a variance on some of the items on the list pending zoning board approval.

This post was edited by Ylem122 on Apr 9 2014 01:01am
Gold: 1.00
Apr 9 2014 01:29am
Of course convenience stores can't sell all that produce.. Wow, I can't even believe this is an issue.

There is no problem with food availability. It's food awareness and preparation that is the issue.
Apr 9 2014 01:40am
Quote (boognis @ Apr 9 2014 03:29am)
Of course convenience stores can't sell all that produce..

Ill have to stop at the local wawa today and take a picture for you guys.

Apples, oranges, grapes, bannans, hard boiled eggs, celery and p-nut butter, milk, bread, I think they even sell cambels soup and eggs...most the gas staion/convience store wawa's where I live already sell some of the basics.

This post was edited by Ylem122 on Apr 9 2014 01:42am
Gold: 286,210.50
Apr 9 2014 09:35am
Quote (boognis @ Apr 9 2014 03:29am)
Of course convenience stores can't sell all that produce.. Wow, I can't even believe this is an issue.

There is no problem with food availability. It's food awareness and preparation that is the issue.

Quote (Ylem122 @ Apr 9 2014 03:40am)
Ill have to stop at the local wawa today and take a picture for you guys.

Apples, oranges, grapes, bannans, hard boiled eggs, celery and p-nut butter, milk, bread, I think they even sell cambels soup and eggs...most the gas staion/convience store wawa's where I live already sell some of the basics.

i think you have to specify what kinda convenience stores you are talking about

if you feed yourself in a multinational one you will get obese and many other health complications

but there is some local ones that are like small grocery and can even sell products that directly comes from the farm you can see on other side of the street

Gold: 0.00
Apr 9 2014 05:17pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 8 2014 06:12pm)
If they are in the inner city its certainly not 3-4 miles away and there are buses.

The ones that weren't expensive were three miles away and the buses only come every 15-30 minutes (depending on the part of the city). You still have to walk several blocks after they drop you off. Like I said, it took about three hours to get down there, shop, and come back. If I'm an elderly person, or handicapped, or work more than 60 hours a week, that's a lot to just go get food.

Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 8 2014 07:02pm)
Its over dramatized. OH THE DESERTS!! OH NOES YOU MIGHT HAVE TO TAKE A BUS TO GET TO A STORE!! THE TRAGEDY!!
There are plenty of walmarts all over the place and even in the article talking about how terrible it supposedly was there were plenty of options.
Most people just dont really like "healthy" food and would prefer to eat other stuff.

Hes talking about inner city folks having to walk 5 miles to get to a store.. thats just not a common case at all.

Ive already proposed solutions that would help a great deal combating the relatively benign problem that don't involve more subsidies for unions and corporations.

I didn't say five miles for inner cities...you did. Five miles is more probable for rural areas. You're so hung up on freedoms and rhetoric that you aren't comprehending what people are saying.

Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 3 2014 11:57pm)
There actually is something I would have the government do..
repeal some zoning and licensing/permit laws that prevent people from selling fresh food anywhere near residential areas without getting permission and spending a whole bunch of money.
Taxes could also be lower. That would encourage business.

...could be part of the solution. I'd take that a step further and expand public transportation to have more routes more frequently. Not only does that help people who aren't close to stores, it helps people who want to save money on gas/reduce carbon emissions. I'd get the money by cutting farm subsidies on corn.

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev18910
Add Reply New Topic New Poll