d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > How Far Have You To Go For Fresh Produce?
Prev1678910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 285.00
Apr 7 2014 10:33pm
Quote (dothe @ Apr 7 2014 11:23pm)
so a bag of rice also doesn't conform to your definition of food?

What an asinine question. So let them eat Big Macs and rice.

Gold: 287,080.50
Apr 7 2014 10:50pm
there is no fast solution for "food desert" i am afraid we have to look for a very long term solution

cars should be gradually replaced by more ecological transports, soon or later we will have to abandon the habit to each have a car

maybe future technology will give us something new that dont need all those parking and routes

we need space (that is not pollute) to have fresh food, all those mega shop centers shouldnt exist and have a more simple life, lower productivity industry etc...

work less. buy less, do your own things, raise your child yourself (exemple: stop have the two parents working) , lower all the reason to make lot of transports...

this is not impossible, we need courage to start somewhere and accept that only future generations will benefit of our efforts to abandon abundance and high consomation life

where i live the poor regions are full of fresh foods because we have a lot of space, but that nightmare i see on this picture will soon or later be here too

i know my english is horrible, hope you understand my point ;)

This post was edited by 2sexy4u on Apr 7 2014 10:54pm
Gold: 0.00
Apr 8 2014 05:31pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 6 2014 07:09pm)
lol.

A quick glance at a map shows what the situation really is like.
*Gasp* 5 miles to a supermarket in some cases? 20 walmart supercenters in and immediately around 1 city that was pointed out as the worst case scenario? whatever shall we do?
THE FOOD DESERT!!! The starving poor! dont you want to help the children? pass more subsidies and regulations now!

5 miles is a long walk when you don't have a car or work multiple jobs. People are forgetting that time is money. Yes, you can cook yourself a nice healthy meal with cheap ingredients, but that takes time some people don't have. This is why food deserts exist. People in isolated communities like inner cities or rural areas can't afford to spend time walking to the grocery store 3 or 4 miles away when they work more than 60 hours a week between multiple jobs. It's much easier to just eat fast food. For one, it doesn't take time to eat at a fast food joint. And two, you get a lot of food for a low price.

To give an example, when I was living on campus, the closest grocery store charged around $5 for a gallon of milk. A loaf of store brand bread was $3. It was about ten minutes from where I lived, so the walk wasn't bad. But Jesus fucking Christ was it expensive. The second closest store was Whole Foo...I mean Whole Paycheck. The two other grocery stores in my are were much less expensive, one of them being a Trader Joe's (organic, locally grown meat and vegetables, yada yada yada). However, they were both about an hour trip from where I was, so to go down there, shop, and come back on public transit took about three hours. Since I was on foot, I could only carry about four days worth of groceries at a time. It was honestly just easier to eat at Chipotle or go to a bar for happy hour after 9 PM than it was to go to the store.

Lucky for me, however, I was only a full time student with a part time job. I can't imagine if I was working two or three jobs full and part time.
Gold: Locked
Apr 8 2014 05:44pm
Quote (sylvannos @ Apr 8 2014 04:31pm)
5 miles is a long walk when you don't have a car or work multiple jobs. People are forgetting that time is money. Yes, you can cook yourself a nice healthy meal with cheap ingredients, but that takes time some people don't have. This is why food deserts exist. People in isolated communities like inner cities or rural areas can't afford to spend time walking to the grocery store 3 or 4 miles away when they work more than 60 hours a week between multiple jobs. It's much easier to just eat fast food. For one, it doesn't take time to eat at a fast food joint. And two, you get a lot of food for a low price.

To give an example, when I was living on campus, the closest grocery store charged around $5 for a gallon of milk. A loaf of store brand bread was $3. It was about ten minutes from where I lived, so the walk wasn't bad. But Jesus fucking Christ was it expensive. The second closest store was Whole Foo...I mean Whole Paycheck. The two other grocery stores in my are were much less expensive, one of them being a Trader Joe's (organic, locally grown meat and vegetables, yada yada yada). However, they were both about an hour trip from where I was, so to go down there, shop, and come back on public transit took about three hours. Since I was on foot, I could only carry about four days worth of groceries at a time. It was honestly just easier to eat at Chipotle or go to a bar for happy hour after 9 PM than it was to go to the store.

Lucky for me, however, I was only a full time student with a part time job. I can't imagine if I was working two or three jobs full and part time.

5 miles is a bitch to walk. Most people walk at about 15 minutes per mile...that's 2 and a half hours of travel time on foot, assuming you keep up the same pace while carrying whatever groceries you can bring back with you on your person.

And if you're cooking for more than one, you're going to have to make very frequent trips. It's simply not reasonable to do without a bike or a car.
Gold: 7,525.35
Apr 8 2014 08:12pm
Quote (sylvannos @ Apr 8 2014 07:31pm)

If they are in the inner city its certainly not 3-4 miles away and there are buses.

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Apr 8 2014 08:13pm
Apr 8 2014 08:34pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 8 2014 09:12pm)
If they are in the inner city its certainly not 3-4 miles away and there are buses.

There aren't a lot of fresh fruit grocery stores in urban areas, it is a well known problem that many intelligent and capable people are working on and are taking seriously. Why do you think that this information is part of a conspiracy?
Apr 8 2014 09:02pm
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 8 2014 10:34pm)
There aren't a lot of fresh fruit grocery stores in urban areas, it is a well known problem that many intelligent and capable people are working on and are taking seriously.  Why do you think that this information is part of a conspiracy?

Its over dramatized. OH THE DESERTS!! OH NOES YOU MIGHT HAVE TO TAKE A BUS TO GET TO A STORE!! THE TRAGEDY!!
There are plenty of walmarts all over the place and even in the article talking about how terrible it supposedly was there were plenty of options.
Most people just dont really like "healthy" food and would prefer to eat other stuff.

Hes talking about inner city folks having to walk 5 miles to get to a store.. thats just not a common case at all.

Ive already proposed solutions that would help a great deal combating the relatively benign problem that don't involve more subsidies for unions and corporations.

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Apr 8 2014 09:09pm
Apr 8 2014 09:08pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 8 2014 10:02pm)
Its over dramatized. OH THE DESERTS!! OH NOES YOU MIGHT HAVE TO TAKE A BUS TO GET TO A STORE!! THE TRAGEDY!!
There are plenty of walmarts all over the place and even in the article talking about how terrible it supposedly was there were plenty of options.
Most people just dont really like "healthy" food and would prefer to eat other stuff.

Hes talking about inner city folks having to walk 5 miles to get to a store.. thats just not a common case at all.

Not your problem anyway, amirite?

Walmarts are in the suburbs bro.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 8 2014 09:09pm
Apr 8 2014 09:10pm
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 8 2014 11:08pm)
Not your problem anyway, amirite?

Faced with a strong case that it isnt as big of a problem as it was made out to be?
appeal to emotion/character attack
???
profit

Walmarts are in the suburbs bro.

Exclusively? absolutely not.

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Apr 8 2014 09:19pm
Apr 8 2014 09:27pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Apr 8 2014 10:10pm)
Faced with a strong case that it isnt as big of a problem as it was made out to be?
appeal to emotion/character attack
???
profit

Exclusively? absolutely not.

Don't mistake what you said for a strong case for anything. You just said people are being cry babies because healthy food is expensive and hard to get in the cities. That isn't a strong argument.

And in the city you see Walgreens, not Walmart. You must be from the 'burbs.

And everything costs way more for us city folk. Loaf of bread a dollar more, milk $1.50 more. It is brutal. Gas like $.50 more a gallon.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 8 2014 09:28pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1678910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll