d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > User Blogs > Houston, Texas Sports Blog
Prev1678910Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 72.00
Nov 28 2014 03:24am
I like the idea of Robert Griffin III if he's readily available going into the 2015 NFL Draft. It sure sounds like his days in Washington are over if Jay Gruden has his way. Their owner Daniel Snyder is the one who has to sign off on that long-term decision to let him go, which would still come as a surprise to me.

And if that giant hurdle is leaped and he actually becomes available, health issues aside, and I'm just going to assume he'll be the healthiest he's been since his standout rookie season, it will only be three years removed since he was the second overall pick in the draft. I think he'd definitely be worth a gamble for a quarterback needy team if nothing else. Especially if we're not in position to draft any of the top three talented quarterbacks in the draft: Mariota, Winston and Hundley. From a pure football standpoint, which is why I mention Jameis Winston (I have no respect for that guy), I would consider Hundley as the cut off. If we can't land somebody like him in the first round then I'm on board looking at the free agent market or potential trades.

Again, I'm not sure why Robert Griffin III gets a bad wrap just because he's still not 100 % healthy and has a habit of speaking the truth in post-game interviews. Is he throwing his teammates underneath the bus when he mentions how Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers are in good situations that he's trying to also position himself to be in? RGiII just wants to win and compete for Super Bowls. People misinterpret his struggling play with a bad attitude. Allow the man another off-season to become healthy again and he's going to be a nice surprise for a new organization in 2015.

How confident are you guys in simply bringing back the same three quarterbacks we had on our depth chart during the last game? Are you really ready to just hand Ryan Mallett the starting job for 2015 and beyond based on a couple of starts? Would you not bring in somebody like a Robert Griffin III to compete next season? Is Ryan Fitzpatrick going to be back? There are a lot of questions to answer.

We have to see how these final five games play out. Who knows, what if Ryan Fitzpatrick plays well and the team ends the season with a five-game winning streak and 10-6 record? And they sneak into that final wild-card spot? Unlikely maybe but I think it's too soon to be talking about next season. We probably won't be eliminated from playoff contention until December 14 when we play at Indianapolis. I expect the Texans to beat the Titans and Jaguars these next two games to reach 7-6.
Nov 28 2014 02:10pm
Kevin McHale is coaching a team that is 12-3 despite missing three starters. He deserves the right to pull any strings he so desires. This was a team I didn't even think was that deep depth wise entering the season. After we failed to sign Chris Bosh this past summer, which led to us not re-signing Chandler Parsons, we went from potentially having the best starting five in the league to a very young team that nobody thought was going to even sniff a top four seed in a stacked Western Conference. They could still end up as a lower playoff seed despite this fast start.

That being said we do have that $8.3 million trade exception, from the Jeremy Lin trade, that I fully anticipate Daryl Morey using sometime before the February trade deadline. The Rockets have also considered signing a couple of old veterans such as Al Harrington. I'd much rather the Rockets just continue to roll with what they have until they find a significant trade. Dwight Howard and Patrick Beverley should be back in the next week or two. I'm more concerned about Terrence Jones being out for a couple of months but we'll see what happens.

The main difference between this season and the past two season is that James Harden has finally matured into a legitimate MVP candidate. He's playing hard on both ends of the court. His tremendous defensive play so far this season has been remarkable. There were games in the past that he didn't even bother to do anything on defense but stand around. Now he's hustling on both ends of the court like some of the all-time greats. James Harden has a legitimate chance to become the 2014-2015 NBA MVP.

Big game against the Los Angeles Clippers tonight. A team we have struggled against during recent years. I didn't think we could beat the Mavericks or Kings during the past two games without Dwight Howard so perhaps it's one of those "I can't believe they won again" type of games against a third straight really good Western Conference opponent. A win tonight and a 13-3 start to this 2014-2015 season would be the Rockets' best start since they went 15-0 back in 1993-1994. They also started that season with a 23-1 record.

This post was edited by Madmartigan on Nov 28 2014 02:12pm
Nov 28 2014 02:22pm
Jadeveon Clowney's rookie season has been frustrating but we need the big guy in a couple of weekends. I'd rather he sit and rest that swollen knee a few more games against the Titans and Jaguars. Games we can definitely win without him. When the Texans attempt to finally beat the Colts at Indianapolis on December 14, for the first time in franchise history (0-12 all time), to reach 8-6 he can become very much a part of a late season playoff run. If things go well NRG Stadium could be rockin' and as lively as ever for those final two home games against the Ravens and Jaguars.

We'll need Clowney to play through the pain and step it up. Amp it up a notch against the Colts and Ravens, in particular. I'm not giving up on Jadeveon Clowney making a difference as a rookie just yet. Everybody wants to put him on IR. Not so fast guys. Let the man rest a few more games. We're going to need him to play at a high level in order to beat the Colts and Ravens. To reach 10-6 isn't impossible even though it seems like that given the Texans current quarterback situation. It's been aggravating all season long. I wish other fans had my belief that this team can still get it done. It all starts on Sunday against the Titans. It may not be pretty but an ugly win is still better than a pretty loss. We've had too many pretty losses this season.
Nov 28 2014 03:20pm
The Astros are currently pushing hard and trying to sign Yankees free agent closer David Robertson: 39 saves, 3.08 ERA and 96 strikeouts in 2014. His salary may be out of our range but then again the Astros plan to increase their payroll by $20 million this off-season, thanks to the Root Sports Houston TV revenue, so perhaps he's an affordable option after all. At the end of the day he's likely going to re-sign with the Yankees but crazier things have happened during the off-season. There are still other good relievers on the free-agent market.

The word is he's seeking a four-year contract at "Papelbon money." Get 'er done, Jeff Luhnow. Let's sign the players and owner Jim Crane can't do anything but write the checks. A better bullpen would be a step in the right direction. This team has blown the most saves in baseball for the past two years and they made an incredible improvement in the standings last season.

I want to make some noise in 2015 and compete in the stacked AL West. Not just finish ahead of the Rangers but actually surpass the Mariners, Angels and Athletics. I want to see the Astros win the AL West at some point during the next few years. I'd like to put together a competitive team for a couple of decades like we most recently had from 1993 to 2006. There were a couple of down years in that time frame but for the most part we had the fourth best winning percentage during that period. In order to do that the Astros have to spend more money on the payroll. Drafting well certainly helps. We have the #2 and #5 picks in this June's 2015 MLB draft. As well as pick #32. We have to sign a couple of good free agents this winter. PERIOD. I believe the Astros may lose pick #32 if we sign what is deemed a class-A free agent but our two top five picks are safe no matter which free agents we may sign.

I believe this is the time to feel excited about Houston Astros Baseball again but those expectations should be tamed until April.
Nov 29 2014 11:45pm
I like our chances to win four of our last five games. That would mean 9-7 which is likely going to "just miss out on the playoffs." We'll have to beat the Colts at Indianapolis on December 14 to finish 10-6. That's a tall order considering we're 0-12 all time playing the Colts on the road. What will make the 13th try the one where we finally break through and win at Indy? I guess we shall see. If we can win out and finish 10-6 I think that may be enough for the Texans to clinch the final wild-card spot in the AFC.

Especially if it comes down to a tiebreaker with the Ravens who I have us beating. Also we are in great shape if it's a tie with the Browns. We're toast if it's a tiebreaker with the Steelers. We can't finish tied with the Bengals anyways because they have a tie on their record, plus they beat us the last game, and I hope they win the AFC North which they seem to be in control of. We'll need to finish a full game better than the Steelers. But this is only if we finish 10-6. I expect us to come up just short and finish 9-7 with a loss at Indy still to come unfortunately. Hopefully I'm wrong. All I want for Christmas is a Texans win at Indianapolis. I've been saying that since 2002.

As far as the Texans having better luck defending wide receiver T.Y. Hilton which will be the real key to beating the Colts in that pivotal game on December 14: We need to jam him hard inside five yards. Play him physical and beat him up near the line of scrimmage. Pretty much the opposite of when the Colts hung up 24 points against the Texans during the first quarter at NRG Stadium earlier this season. Pretty much the opposite of what we witnessed from our injury depleted secondary against the Bengals in that last game. Giving up at least five yards or separation is allowing the other quarterback to play an easy "pitch and catch" game in the park. We need to hit those guys hard and trust our pass rush to make sure they don't get beat deep by knocking the hell out of Andrew Luck. Anyways, that's still a few games away when we play at Indianapolis. Let's beat the less talented Titans and Jaguars first.

I expect the Texans to defeat the Titans later today. It's not going to mean much in terms of this one game by itself. But if they simply take care of business in the next two winnable games against the Titans and Jaguars that will set up a meaningful game at Indianapolis on December 14. Win that game and I can assure you it will mean absolutely everything. We'd be 8-6 going into our final two home games against the Ravens and Jaguars, very much alive in the AFC wild-card race. We would have also won our first game at Indy. A franchise's first. At this point it's going to take win after win, after win, after win and win to mean something worthwhile. But beating the Titans today is a good start. The alternative would be to lose today and start talking about our 2015 NFL mock draft selections. That wouldn't be fun this early.
Nov 30 2014 03:25pm
The Texans defeat the Titans 45-21 to reach 6-6 on the season. It was the most points the Houston Texans have ever scored in a game. Our playoff hopes are still alive with four games left to play. At Jaguars, at Colts, Ravens and Jaguars is the remaining schedule. We pretty much have to win all four games left to finish 10-6 but that's the beauty of this 2014 Texans season. Just when you think the season is over somehow and someway they win a big game to keep things interesting.

Ryan Fitzpatrick shined today with a career game, breaking the Texans all-time passing record for most Touchdowns thrown in a game. He threw for 358 yards with 6 Touchdowns and 0 Interceptions. He came out of the game with about 8:51 left in the fourth quarter otherwise he may have had a chance to throw for seven touchdowns.

DeAndre Hopkins was the main go-to guy with nine receptions for 238 receiving yards and 2 Touchdowns, but J.J. Watt also added a one yard touchdown reception to go along with his two sacks and one forced fumble. J.J. Watt continues his MVP caliber season. He'll definitely win his second defensive player of the year award if nothing else.

At 6-6 and still alive in the AFC wild-card race the Texans just need to keep on playing hard. I'm going into every game with that "we have nothing to lose" mentality. I'm ready for next Sunday's noontime kickoff at Jacksonville. I don't care who's hurt and who's playing. All that matters now is winning games. At the end of the day losing teams make excuses. The winning teams find ways to win.
Dec 2 2014 08:30am
I was chatting with a friend earlier today who told me he wishes the Texans could go back and trade down with the first overall pick in the 2014 draft. How he wishes we had just drafted one of those big and physical wide receivers like Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins. I told him that would have been fine if Andre Johnson had retired or been traded. Andre Johnson is still going to be good for another two or three years.

Odell Beckham Jr. was stolen with the 12th overall pick by the Giants. Imagine that guy playing with Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins? Hindsight is 20-20. Or is it 50-50 like Cam Newton always says? Could have traded down and picked up extra picks along with a speedster with exceptional hands. People are just frustrated that Jadeveon Clowney is always hurt and doesn't have that "I must play through the pain" mentality like some of the all-time greats.

I'd rather have a small speedy guy (5'11, 175) who can be a deep threat and stretch the field. We need a guy like that playing with Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins. Those small dudes can get open too. Mike Evans reminds me of former wide receiver out of Texas named Roy Williams. He'll have a couple of good years early in his career, maybe make a pro bowl or two, but he could flame out eventually. I don't think he's the next Calvin Johnson or anything special. He's good don't get me wrong. He's also playing on a bad 2-10 Tampa Bay team. Calvin Johnson, for that matter, once played on an 0-16 team. Andre Johnson has played on many bad Houston teams over his long Hall of Fame caliber career. A couple of 2-14 teams in 2005 and 2013 for example. Having a great wide receiver doesn't equal team success sometimes.

A wide receiver I really love, that I think we can snag in the second round in the 2015 draft, who reminds me a lot of Odell Beckham Jr. is Tyler Lockett out of Kansas State. He can also improve our return game on special teams. He's been highly productive at K-State this year. I haven't been focused too much on the 2015 NFL Draft because the Texans are 6-6 with four games left. We can still make the playoffs if we win out and finish 10-6. But if we lose another game it will be time to start focusing on those mock drafts.
Dec 4 2014 05:14am
In the end J.J. Watt will not win the 2014 NFL MVP because at best the Texans will go 10-6. But if the Texans make the playoffs he may earn a few extra votes. I just think losing some heartbreakers we probably could have won cost us a chance to go 14-2 or 13-3 which would have given him a better chance. I just think what Aaron Rodgers is doing with the Packers this season is hard to ignore. And plus quarterbacks generally win the MVP award. Only two defensive players have won the award in NFL History. Defensive tackle Alan Page in 1971 with the Minnesota Vikings and Linebacker Lawrence Taylor in 1986 with the New York Giants.

Just for laughs, head coach Bill O'Brien should allow Watt to throw a TD pass if we blow out the Jaguars this Sunday and have a goal line situation late in the game. He's done everything else he may as well play quarterback for one play. Heck, it's not like Tom Savage is going to throw a pass in garbage time late in the game. What a joke that was the last game. We could have put 52 points on the board and Savage didn't even attempt a pass in the final 8 minutes.

All the more reason to spit in the sportswriters faces, the ones who vote for the NFL MVP, and play J.J. Watt at quarterback for at least one goal line play at Jacksonville on Sunday (only if the Texans are up big) just to throw for one TD pass. Make it extra unique and special what he's doing this year. Heck, maybe even allow Watt to kick an extra point and a short-yardage field goal (under 30 yards). To go along with his blocked extra point and field goals, sacks, QB knockdowns, batted pass deflections, TD receptions, fumbles forced, fumbles returned for touchdown and pick six interception. Just to name a few.

Whatever he can do in these final four games to impress people and the Texans finish 10-6 to make the playoffs and maybe even make a surprise Super Bowl run. If that happens we'll know he was the real MVP. At any rate J.J. Watt is going to win his second defensive player of the year award which is also special. I sort of consider Watt an offensive player as it is. He's a fine tight end. The best we have on the team.
Dec 10 2014 01:15am
The 7-6 Texans travel to 9-4 Indianapolis on Sunday. It's a 12 noontime central game airing on CBS.
Houston has never won a game at Indianapolis. 0-12 all-time since their expansion season in 2002.

Hopefully 10-6 is enough to win that final wild-card spot in the AFC if the Texans win out. They would have earned it by beating the Colts on the road for the first time in franchise history as well as defeating a solid Ravens team. The Colts may lose against the Texans and Cowboys the next two games, but I doubt the Colts will lose the final game against the Titans, a team that has already mailed it in for the season. The Titans are horrendous and are looking ahead to drafting Marcus Mariota. They'll likely finish 2-14 this season. So the Texans having any chance to win the AFC South pretty much ended when the Colts came back to beat the Browns last Sunday.

The Texans are +12 in turnover differential this season. 2nd best in the NFL only behind the Packers (+16), who rarely turn the ball over. The Colts are -4 and 22nd ranked. Let's win the turnover battle and play smart football on Sunday. That will give us a chance. We can't dig a 24-0 deficit after the first quarter like the last game played against the Colts in Houston.

J.J. Watt recovered a fumble and returned it for a Touchdown against Andrew Luck in the last game, but we were down by so many points it only gave us a small glimmer of hope. The Colts do turn the ball over. Quite often in fact. The Texans have to take advantage of that turnover battle in this game but slowing down explosive wide receiver T.Y. Hilton, who had 9 receptions for 223 receiving yards and 1 TD in the first game against Houston this season, will likely prove to be the difference in the game.

Nobody in their right mind is giving the Houston Texans much of a chance to win Sunday at Indianapolis but we'll see what happens.
Dec 11 2014 01:11am
On the plus side Dwight Howard is expected to finally return on Saturday Night against the Nuggets at Toyota Center. If the team can just muster enough energy to win tonight's game at Sacramento to improve to 17-5. It's going to be a challenge to win a back-to-back on the West Coast. I thought they played hard last night at Golden State. The Rockets just came up flat in the fourth quarter, getting out-scored 32-17 during a 12-point loss. Some of our youth and inexperience really showed down the stretch.

We had the lead early in the fourth quarter on the road against the best record team in the NBA despite missing a quarter of our roster. The Rockets have played hard for a long time with several key players injured. It's time for general manager Daryl Morey to make an impact trade. I don't know how much longer they can over-achieve with an incomplete roster. It's been fun to watch but running out of gas against the elite teams makes you wish we had a little more veteran depth to lean on. This current Rockets team is not playoff ready regardless of what seeding we end up in the Western Conference. We need to acquire a good player before the NBA trading deadline in two months. Along with good health of course.

In the mean time I watch every game and I enjoy the 2014-2015 Houston Rockets season for what it's worth: Entertainment.
Go Back To User Blogs Topic List
Prev1678910Next
Add Reply New Topic