d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Culinary Arts > Do You Even Craft Beer ?
Prev18910111272Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3,158.00
Mar 6 2014 04:16am
Quote (tturaiders @ Mar 5 2014 05:20pm)
A damn fine beer, in my book.  I've had the barrel-aged version a few years back and really enjoyed it.  I wish they distributed here.

How was their creme brulee?  Was it really sweet and heavy on vanilla or did it have quite a bit of that roasted malt profile?  I've only had one other of that "style" and really enjoyed it.  Never had anything from them, though.  Sounds interesting.

I love the creme brule, you taste the vanilla, its not too sweet, and you taste the roasted malt, but its just balanced so nicely, and its like 8.5% as well, its just so enjoyable to drink. Its just one of those beers where if you are a fan of the style, you will love this beer.

Just saw this, Kuhnhenn is 3 on best breweries in MI :)
http://www.thrillist.com/drink/detroit/best-craft-breweries-in-detroit-thrillist-detroit
Gold: 4,189.00
Mar 6 2014 07:29pm
I want to buy a beer brewing kit, how much would a 40-50 bottle brewing kit cost ?
Gold: 12,839.39
Mar 6 2014 09:10pm
Quote (AGamerTag @ Mar 6 2014 07:29pm)
I want to buy a beer brewing kit, how much would a 40-50 bottle brewing kit cost ?

well depends on if you would be willing to make some equipment on your own or not. from northern brewer, a standard kit (no glass carboy secondary) + 1 recipe kit = 80$ plus shipping. other than that you'll need bottles and a boiling pot (preferably stainless steel) that is 3 gallons or more. if you dont have 3 gallon pot, id get a larger pot. if you dont have bottles, i think its like 10$ for 24 or so from a local brew shop, or you just start saving bottles. you can buy caps from brew store pretty cheap

after that, some things to invest in are a secondary carboy (glass preferably), mash tun (for going all grain), kegerator + keg (i prefer kegging over bottles - easier to clean + carbonate), and wort chiller (i havent got one yet, i use my bathtub).

starting out, my extract recipes ran me probably 40$+ and now i pay ~ 25-30$ per all grain recipe

This post was edited by cialda on Mar 6 2014 09:11pm
Gold: 19.06
Mar 6 2014 10:37pm
Quote (AGamerTag @ Mar 6 2014 08:29pm)

Yea you can get some smaller ones very cheap, i also seen the pre packaged kits with everything included to brew known craft beers that way your get the hang of it.
Really was wanting to buy one of these and make a pre packaged batch my first run before i brew up my own selection.

Anyone from Texas around or heard of Saint Arnold's Brewery? Tis my favorite beer and place to tour :D

Also where is my Bock heads at :)
Gold: 1,952.49
Mar 7 2014 07:16pm
Quote (HydroBlaze @ Mar 6 2014 10:37pm)
Yea you can get some smaller ones very cheap, i also seen the pre packaged kits with everything included to brew known craft beers that way your get the hang of it.
Really was wanting to buy one of these and make a pre packaged batch my first run before i brew up my own selection.

Anyone from Texas around or heard of Saint Arnold's Brewery? Tis my favorite beer and place to tour :D

Also where is my Bock heads at :)

I live in Texas now so I've had some of the Saint Arnold's beers. The whole craft beer thing is just starting to catch on here so it's kind of fun seeing all these new places popping up all the time.
Gold: 19.06
Mar 7 2014 10:00pm
Quote (tturaiders @ Mar 7 2014 08:16pm)
I live in Texas now so I've had some of the Saint Arnold's beers.  The whole craft beer thing is just starting to catch on here so it's kind of fun seeing all these new places popping up all the time.

Craft beers have been around Texas for ages, But yes alot more are becoming fans of it. I think the best beers i have tried have been thru these little local breweries. Saint Arnold's has done a once in a lifetime Bishops Barrel #1-4 i have had the pleasure of trying 3/4 they are 8 dollars a piece but well worth it in a nice room temperature glass xD
Gold: 175.69
Mar 12 2014 04:08pm
Hey I'm just kinda getting into craft beers.
Always liked trying new beers, never been a fan of drinking bmc's (except at parties to get drunk lol)
Never really been able to try that many because I haven't known where to buy ones other than the typical craft selection at the supermarket (Kroger for me).
I recently discovered that Giant Eagle carries a good amount of craft beer's so I've been trying to visit there more often.

Also got a buddy that works for Heidleburg distribution and he often gets his hands on craft beers and beers not available in the state of ohio.
Great Lakes Brewing company is pretty big here, I've tried a lot of them, but haven't been impressed with many. Conway's Irish Ale was to my liking though.

I know I don't like IPA's, other than that I'm down to try anything and open to suggestions.

Just discovered this thread, I'll be reading through it at my leisure though (10 pages is a lot)
Mar 12 2014 05:58pm
drinkin one of these right now.... not with any food, I had dinner like 2 hours ago.

Its good but I don't think it was worth the price.
You can definitely tell that it was aged in bourbon barrels, I'm actually finding that taste to be a little overpowering, more than I expected.

I gave my roommate (his beer of choice is natty LOL) a double shotglass worth and he claimed it was good but his face had a look of disgust after drinking it
Gold: 3,158.00
Mar 13 2014 06:42pm
I'm about to drive down to chicago to visit my buddy, stopping at Bells brewery on the way! Then comes St. paddys day at Kuhnhenns with their breakfast of champions beers. Going to be an amazing weekend!
Mar 13 2014 06:52pm
Quote (SymphonicX @ Mar 12 2014 06:58pm)
drinkin one of these right now.... not with any food, I had dinner like 2 hours ago.

http://drunkenpepper.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/NewHollandDragonsMilk.jpg

Its good but I don't think it was worth the price. 
You can definitely tell that it was aged in bourbon barrels, I'm actually finding that taste to be a little overpowering, more than I expected.

I gave my roommate (his beer of choice is natty LOL) a double shotglass worth and he claimed it was good but his face had a look of disgust after drinking it

take two with this beer.... this time out of the bottle instead of a glass.
i'm liking it a lot more now. Tbh I don't care for the smell of it, the bourbon smell is too strong.
Out of the bottle there are more tastes than just the bourbon, I'm getting more vanilla than bourbon taste, there's something else but I think I need a second to decide what it is ;)
Idk if it makes a difference but I've been eating a few slices of a nice Vermont yellow cheddar with it, I'm liking the pairing.

Earlier I had one of these:

I'm a big fan of Scottish ales, I had a good one (wee heavy) and since I've been seeking out more.
This is nice, very drinkable, I'd recommend it to someone who drinks bmc's but is wanting to try more craft beers.
It has a nice woody smell, and that not surprisingly translates into an oaky taste.
However, aside from the oaky taste I'm finding this beer lacking. I honestly thought it tasted closer to a domestic lager than a Scottish ale.
It felt like it was missing the malty or carmely sweet taste that I associate with Scottish ales, though it definitely had no hops to taste of.
It was a good drinkable beer, but I won't buy it again, there are better Scottish ales to be had.

Quote (Awrf @ Mar 13 2014 07:42pm)
I'm about to drive down to chicago to visit my buddy, stopping at Bells brewery on the way! Then comes St. paddys day at Kuhnhenns with their breakfast of champions beers. Going to be an amazing weekend!

my ex gf's favorite beer was bell's two hearted ale, so I used to drink a lot of it.
I'm not a fan of really hoppy tasting beers but as far as hopped up beers go I liked it more than others.
I need to try more from Bell's, I'm jealous of you!

This post was edited by SymphonicX on Mar 13 2014 06:54pm
Go Back To Culinary Arts Topic List
Prev18910111272Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll