d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > Avelynn's Pure Fend Pvm Spearazon Guide
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.32
Sep 15 2013 04:03am
Funny guides are funny :D

Not bad at all and nice to see something new in here : )

Gold: 42,200.53
Sep 15 2013 05:54pm
Your guide is well written. :)

I only play one class and it's not this one so I won't be building a Fend Spearazon. :p

Edit: Oops. I didn't ask which Realm when I was offering to put toons in a Hell game for you.

This post was edited by CorinaMarie on Sep 15 2013 05:58pm
Gold: 1,370.00
Sep 15 2013 06:04pm
Quote (CorinaMarie @ Sep 16 2013 07:54am)
Your guide is well written. :)

I only play one class and it's not this one so I won't be building a Fend Spearazon. :p

You mentioned that it's difficult to find full Hell games for fully testing her. I have a NM gater ready and mules in NM that can get glitch bumped into hell. If you want to rush them to thru Baal, I could then put 4 toons in a Hell game and go AFK for you. ;)

Thank you! I've heard that you play lots of Sorcs and have a good idea of how to build a decent melee one? Might do that next ladder :D

I didn't think you had chars on East Lad? In any case I'm playing a little less of D2 now since it's mid-season, so I'm not that keen on doing another walkthrough. It's easy though to join a Cbaals and find somewhere to kill stuff alone - which is what I did when I started writing this. Plus I did find a few 3-4 player games here and there, as well an 8 player game to walk Hell Act 3, when I was leveling. So it's all good~ Thanks for offering though!

This post was edited by Avelynn on Sep 15 2013 06:04pm
Gold: 152.00
Sep 15 2013 06:56pm
Great guide, definitely testing one of these out soon.

Perhaps add Tgods as a belt option?

Also, if you're gonna include boots other than Gores+Travs (the obvious two best options), I'd include Aldur's, Hotspurs, and WWs way before Treks.

This post was edited by Voyaging on Sep 15 2013 06:57pm
Sep 15 2013 07:30pm
Sorry for double post, edit button disappeared.

Why Holy Freeze merc over Might?

Edit: Nvm just noticed the asterisk, though I would argue that Holy Freeze doesn't offer that much in the way of survivability to offset the potential damage boost :P

This post was edited by Voyaging on Sep 15 2013 07:32pm
Sep 15 2013 07:31pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Sep 16 2013 08:56am)
Great guide, definitely testing one of these out soon.

Perhaps add Tgods as a belt option?

Also, if you're gonna include boots other than Gores+Travs (the obvious two best options), I'd include Aldur's, Hotspurs, and WWs way before Treks.

You could betray the Pure Fend concept and use it for the +3 LS then yeah you could :P. Is why I didn't mention it I guess. Still a solid belt yeah. But in my eyes it was either Dungos if you don't need the IAS or Nosferatu's if you do.

And yeah you're probably right about the boots. Some of that equip really relies on what kinds of charms/rings/amulets and such you're able to get. My setup has weak poison res, so if I hadn't found a rare ring with +30% poison res to cover it I might have used Treks - stuff like that. Out of the ones you listed only Aldurs has any sort of resist on them. But you're right - those are decent if you'd prefer to use those to get more Life or something.
Sep 15 2013 07:34pm
Quote (Avelynn @ Sep 15 2013 09:31pm)
You could betray the Pure Fend concept and use it for the +3 LS then yeah you could :P. Is why I didn't mention it I guess. Still a solid belt yeah. But in my eyes it was either Dungos if you don't need the IAS or Nosferatu's if you do.

And yeah you're probably right about the boots. Some of that equip really relies on what kinds of charms/rings/amulets and such you're able to get. My setup has weak poison res, so if I hadn't found a rare ring with +30% poison res to cover it I might have used Treks - stuff like that. Out of the ones you listed only Aldurs has any sort of resist on them. But you're right - those are decent if you'd prefer to use those to get more Life or something.

I didn't mean for the +3 LS, that's purely a useless stat for this character in my eyes, I meant for the lightning damage mitigation (which I think is as dangerous if not moreso than physical damage, depending where you're running), plus the huge strength boost for dmg/gear equip if needed.

Hotspurs have huge fire res btw :P

This post was edited by Voyaging on Sep 15 2013 07:34pm
Sep 15 2013 07:38pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Sep 16 2013 09:30am)
Sorry for double post, edit button disappeared.

Why Holy Freeze merc over Might?

Edit: Nvm just noticed the asterisk, though I would argue that Holy Freeze doesn't offer that much in the way of survivability to offset the potential damage boost :P

I answered this in the last page. I think my explanation's reasonable enough. I probably should have elaborated more when discussing Mercs but I was hoping that after explaining how the build works people would understand that I would favor a more defensively inclined Merc as well. Aside from the attack speed reduction it does slow enemy movement speed allowing you do get better positioning.

Quote (Avelynn @ Sep 15 2013 08:19am)
As for recommended Mercs, while it may be nice to stack more damage, for a person who's looking to try out the build for the first time, a Holy Freeze merc is definitely the safest build to use. Judging from my experiences in-game, the damage done is respectable in 5+ player games as it is, plus the aura is a huge utility in minimizing D/A/E procs - especially for Archer packs as well - since you are still getting hit even with the two tank minions up - and I'm using Delirium which has more CC than the Reaper's Toll merc. The aura also helps with running away from dolls as talked about above. Don't think your hp will spike that much to justify needing that rapid LL/ML - mine doesn't - and even with higher damage, if your D/A/E procs repeatedly you wouldn't even be landing those hits. Ease of play > all I believe!

Thanks for the questions so far - I've answered them to the best of my ability. You've played one of these before? Did you invest into Valkyrie?

edit: saw your edit. I don't think that it's required for you to center your mercenary around killing bosses. Generally they're the least of my worries - I don't even have to worry much about D/A/E since it's only 1 thing attacking me. The real obstacles are when your entire screen is filled with monsters - especially ranged ones like Gloams and Cursed Archers.

And woops about the Hotspurs, somehow managed to get them confused with WWs :(

Mat Pikes only require like 90+ Strength so you don't really need to get that much :P (from Tgods). Depends really, you're not going to be facing Gloams all the time (granted, they are annoying to deal with sometimes), and they're doable without needing such drastic measures.

This post was edited by Avelynn on Sep 15 2013 07:43pm
Sep 15 2013 07:42pm
I can definitely see how the freeze could help with positioning.

Have you done any damage calculations regarding Java skillers vs. max/ar charms by any chance? Wondering which would be more beneficial.
Sep 15 2013 09:03pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Sep 16 2013 09:42am)
I can definitely see how the freeze could help with positioning.

Have you done any damage calculations regarding Java skillers vs. max/ar charms by any chance? Wondering which would be more beneficial.

I've been wondering about that as well. From the looks of swapping charms around there isn't any notably huge difference as far as I can see but I'll try and give you a better answer when I'm not so tired. I haven't ran that extensive damage calcs on that yet. Sorry about that.
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll