d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Wilderness Survival Techniques Thread
Prev14567838Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,250.00
Apr 19 2013 04:14am
Due to 9 inches of rain so far this month, operation Dug-in has been postponed. I will do it soon, as I want the deer to have all summer to get used to seeing it, and won't give it a second thought come October.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Apr 21 2013 09:37am
Yea it was raining like bitch here in michigan lately, ive been hunting and fishing since i can remember and have also tried outdoor survival in the middle of the winter here in Michigan. Like ur thread, i want to buy a good survival book that shows all the different traping techniques and such, know a good one?
Apr 21 2013 02:16pm
Quote (Toolmaniac @ Apr 21 2013 11:37am)
Yea it was raining like bitch here in michigan lately, ive been hunting and fishing since i can remember and have also tried outdoor survival in the middle of the winter here in Michigan. Like ur thread, i want to buy a good survival book that shows all the different traping techniques and such, know a good one?

Well my dad taught me most of the stuff I know, or I have learned it by doing it out of necessity or watching videos and stuff, and then going out and trying it. What kind of trapping are you interested in? Snaring and dead fall for survival or like trapping legally in Michigan? I don't trap much so I don't have much expertise in that. I prefer to shoot game if I need to hunt.
Jul 7 2013 11:58am
Hook I made out of stuff available to me, and tore apart a para cord bracelet to make this hook for pan fish.

This is how I set it up with a bolt I found for a sinker.

This post was edited by SheriffCool on Jul 7 2013 11:59am
Gold: 127.87
Jul 31 2013 10:47am
legit
Retired Moderator
Gold: 9,504.66
Trader: Trusted
Aug 16 2016 08:59am
bump
Aug 16 2016 09:01am
Quote (Markro @ Aug 16 2016 10:59am)
bump

Thanks Buddy! I'm going to make a homemade grill and smoker soon and I'm hosting a survival class soon that I will post some things we do there.
Banned
Warn: 10%
Aug 16 2016 10:25am
i just read Hatchet
Aug 16 2016 12:27pm
Quote (eLeMeNt477 @ Aug 16 2016 12:25pm)
i just read Hatchet

Looked it up on wiki, looks like a good read. when I was a kid I read My Side of the Mountain, which got me interested in self sufficiency. My parents are hippies from the 60's my dad is a Vietnam vet who did 3 tours as a marine then they wouldn't let him do a fourth so he didn't re enlist, so when he got out, he enlisted in the army and went back. He saw how the country was torn apart by war and decided that we needed to be able to fend for ourselves in case anything like that ever happened here at home. In 1981 he bought 84 acres and we built a house in west Michigan. My dad taught me how to live off the land and what plants were edible and what plants were not and what uses every plant he knew did. We spent many weekends camping and hunting and fishing. We would take canoe trips with just the basics and stay on the bank and build a shelter and eat what we caught and gathered, my dad taught me how to make snares and dead fall traps and different types of primitive hunting/fishing techniques, and my Mom would come pick us up at the end of the weekend 60-80 miles down stream or she would take us and drop us off 3 days upstream and we would float home. My Dad and my sister and mom would go on month vacation in the summer, camping all the way, we went all the way to California from Michigan and back and camped all the way. That's just some of the type of the things I have done to gain real world knowledge of being able to stay alive with not much to work with. By the time I was sixteen I had spent three+ years camping and learning to live off the land with my Dad. My parents got divorced and I hated my new step mom so we had a falling out. My Dad gave me a choice to stay and abide by the rules or leave, so I chose to leave. They wouldn't let me take my car since they had ownership of it, so I left with my clothes and gear I had and took 3 trips to the end of the driveway and piled it up across the road. I walked to my friends and he came with his pick up and took me to a remote lake. This was December and I camped and survived until late February when I got a job and a place to live. I have since done many survival solo and team weekends to keep my skills fresh. My main occupation now is I own a residential siding company, but every spring/summer/fall I do guided hunting and fishing trips and usually one to three times a year I do a paid survival weekend where I teach people the skills I know to keep them alive in case they ever need it. I could go into more detail but this has already become a giant wall of text as it is.
Warn: 80%
Aug 16 2016 05:35pm
What are you gonna make the smoker out of? Ive seen people do it with old propane tanks, looks like a lot of work but would be worth it.
Go Back To Sports Coliseum Topic List
Prev14567838Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll