d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Tenessee Law Allows For Intelligent Design To Be > Taught In Class
Prev1789101113Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5.00
Apr 11 2012 04:32pm
Quote (JEB90 @ Apr 11 2012 05:28pm)
This is perhaps the most insidious of the arguments here: religious extremism hidden under the guise of being reasonable and respectful.  Science is about testing theories with evidence.  Religion has no place in the discussion as it embraces and, in fact, mandates, belief in the absence of evidence.

:rofl:

You know me, totally a Protestant Evangelical fundie.

Because you're either with atheism or you're against it. Hmm, that sounds... familiar?
Gold: 33.00
Apr 11 2012 04:35pm
Quote (catkaboodle @ Apr 11 2012 05:19pm)
How so? People seem to think that religion and science are absolutely separate from one another, when they've been intertwined for millennia and are still connected for many people today. Let me put it this way, if you want to get more people to accept evolution, you have to transition them.

Also, it could be argued that intelligent design is a part of a culture, so it'd be disrespectful not to teach it.

This is a horrible argument. First things first: science (how it's conceived of today) and religion have never been intertwined. Science by definition requires testable hypotheses and predictions. Many of the fields of science that we have today, however, have branched off from philosophy (of which religious views are a part) precisely because they became a science (i.e. had testable/falsifiable hypotheses). The word "science" may have been used when it was intertwined with philosophy, but its meaning was entirely different.

In any case, I think it's much more disrespectful to teach a theory that is clearly wrong (i.e.young earth creationism) because you're afraid of being disrespectful. It's a disservice and a downright tragedy to misinform generations of young people when we clearly know the facts.

This post was edited by Nihlathak on Apr 11 2012 04:36pm
Gold: 500.40
Apr 11 2012 04:36pm
Quote (catkaboodle @ Apr 11 2012 04:32pm)
:rofl:

You know me, totally a Protestant Evangelical fundie.

Because you're either with atheism or you're against it. Hmm, that sounds... familiar?

Whether you know it or not, you're spouting the the fundamentalist line. You simply don't have to be an atheist to think religion should stay out of science. Religion is simply not equipped to enter a discussion about proving a theory with evidence. If you believe you can't discuss science without trying to accommodate everyone's religion, you aren't doing either science or religion any favors.
Gold: 148,800.00
Apr 11 2012 04:39pm
Quote (JEB90 @ Apr 11 2012 02:24pm)
Yes it does.  The first question in any scientific discussion is "How do you support your theory?"  There is absolutely zero evidence--and no possible evidence available to find short of God announcing it himself--that God created the universe.  If we teach our kids anything about the scientific method, the only possible scientific response to "God created the universe" is "show me some evidence or shut up."

take a good hard look around at the beauty in the forest and the clouds and the mountains and the ocean. then after doing that tell me there is no god.

of course there is a "god" it is all around us. god is everything you, me, those birds chirping away outside, the tree swaying in the breeze, the planets rotating around the sun. the evidence is all around you but you are just not looking or listening due to your own anti-god bias.

everything happens for a reason. more and more we find ways to prove why things happen in a scientific method. evolution is not random it is a trait all life forms have in common. obviously some force had to create everything a certain way so life can evolve. it is not just some freak accident.

This post was edited by BarnabyJones on Apr 11 2012 04:40pm
Gold: 500.40
Apr 11 2012 04:42pm
Quote (BarnabyJones @ Apr 11 2012 04:39pm)
take a good hard look around at the beauty in the forest and the clouds and the mountains and the ocean. then after doing that tell me there is no god.

of course there is a "god" it is all around us. god is everything you, me, those birds chirping away outside, the tree swaying in the breeze, the planets rotating around the sun. the evidence is all around you but you are just not looking or listening due to your own anti-god bias.

everything happens for a reason. more and more we find ways to prove why things happen in a scientific method. evolution is not random it is a trait all life forms have in common. obviously some force had to create everything a certain way so life can evolve. it is not just some freak accident.

Evidence that any of this was actually created by God and not, say, the Wizard of Oz? The only conviction you can have is faith. I'm not arguing that faith is good, bad, or indifferent--just that it's not science.
Apr 11 2012 04:48pm
Quote (Nihlathak @ Apr 11 2012 05:35pm)
This is a horrible argument. First things first: science (how it's conceived of today) and religion have never been intertwined. Science by definition requires testable hypotheses and predictions. Many of the fields of science that we have today, however, have branched off from philosophy (of which religious views are a part) precisely because they became a science (i.e. had testable/falsifiable hypotheses). The word "science" may have been used when it was intertwined with philosophy, but its meaning was entirely different.

In any case, I think it's much more disrespectful to teach a theory that is clearly wrong (i.e.young earth creationism) because you're afraid of being disrespectful. It's a disservice and a downright tragedy to misinform generations of young people when we clearly know the facts.

You make a point about science as it is conceived today; however, I'm talking about what it has in common with religion: namely, they they both attempt to explain the world around us.

I'm not saying anything about teaching anything that's clearly wrong. Nowhere in my post did I mention anything about YEC. All I was saying was to acknowledge that there are religious beliefs about this hot-button subject so the religious people don't freak out.

Quote (JEB90 @ Apr 11 2012 05:36pm)
Whether you know it or not, you're spouting the the fundamentalist line.  You simply don't have to be an atheist to think religion should stay out of science.  Religion is simply not equipped to enter a discussion about proving a theory with evidence.  If you believe you can't discuss science without trying to accommodate everyone's religion, you aren't doing either science or religion any favors.

I'm not talking about science in general, I'm talking about a hot-button issue in particular that has the potential to turn people away from science because it's not being handled right. I'm not trying to be specific and say the Earth was created 6000 years ago. I'm just saying to stick in the clause that yes, evolution is compatible with religion. That's it.
Gold: 0.00
Apr 11 2012 04:51pm
Quote (JEB90 @ Apr 11 2012 10:42pm)
Evidence that any of this was actually created by God and not, say, the Wizard of Oz?  The only conviction you can have is faith.  I'm not arguing that faith is good, bad, or indifferent--just that it's not science.

yes, imagination adds to list of proof of God actually. Its not something I argue for when I talk to an atheist, but in my eyes like the other guy said... if i look out the window a single blade of grass is enough evidence for me to know theres a God.
Gold: 148,800.00
Apr 11 2012 04:55pm
Quote (JEB90 @ Apr 11 2012 05:42pm)
Evidence that any of this was actually created by God and not, say, the Wizard of Oz?  The only conviction you can have is faith.  I'm not arguing that faith is good, bad, or indifferent--just that it's not science.

not everything is about science dude. somethings cannot be explained by science.

it is spring time now i live in new york. the other day i was working out in my shed and i stepped out to soak in some sun. i look at the ground there is a forest of shamrocks. just an absolutely glorious forest of shamrocks. i couldn't even make sense of the whole patch of shamrocks. i can focus on one point at a time but i can't see the whole thing it is just to much. there is to much beauty for my whole eye to absorb i can only soak a little bit by scanning over the patch.

my point is this. science is great but to say there is no "god"/wizard of oz is silly. science proves many things can is a great tool to getting a better understanding of all the beauty out there in the world. there is also an extent to that knowledge goes the rest is really up to faith. faith in humanity to use the science correctly, faith in the universe/god/wizard of oz to give us the right signals and show us the way.

i think when some people say god gives them messages it is god. i think we are all one and we are all god and we are all observing life subjectively. i think the universe is just a form of expression for "god".
Gold: 68.51
Apr 11 2012 04:57pm
i don't always agree with catkaboodle, but i think i see what he's saying here.

just like using the same drinking fountain as a black person was a novel idea less than a century ago, the idea of not teaching creationism in the classroom strikes some more "traditional" religious americans as shocking.
much like any civil rights movement, or advancement to mankind, it must be done slowly. even though cro magnons beat out neanderthals in a race to survive due to adaptability, we are still resistant to change.
i'm happy to see unrest, because it means the wheels are turning.

Quote (BarnabyJones @ Apr 11 2012 03:55pm)
not everything is about science dude. somethings cannot be explained by science.

it is spring time now i live in new york. the other day i was working out in my shed and i stepped out to soak in some sun. i look at the ground there is a forest of shamrocks. just an absolutely glorious forest of shamrocks. i couldn't even make sense of the whole patch of shamrocks. i can focus on one point at a time but i can't see the whole thing it is just to much. there is to much beauty for my whole eye to absorb i can only soak a little bit by scanning over the patch.

my point is this. science is great but to say there is no "god"/wizard of oz is silly. science proves many things can is a great tool to getting a better understanding of all the beauty out there in the world. there is also an extent to that knowledge goes the rest is really up to faith. faith in humanity to use the science correctly, faith in the universe/god/wizard of oz to give us the right signals and show us the way.

i think when some people say god gives them messages it is god. i think we are all one and we are all god and we are all observing life subjectively. i think the universe is just a form of expression for "god".

meanwhile in the year 1000AD, people thought the world was flat.
religion is intertwined with science in the sense that it provides comforting explanations for that which science can not yet explain.

and being overwhelmed by the beauty of a patch of shamrocks may not be a sign of God, it's might be a sign that your animal's DNA evolved to give you emotions.

This post was edited by Zurich on Apr 11 2012 05:00pm
Apr 11 2012 05:02pm
Quote (Zurich @ Apr 11 2012 05:57pm)
i don't always agree with catkaboodle, but i think i see what he's saying here.

just like using the same drinking fountain as a black person was a novel idea less than a century ago, the idea of not teaching creationism in the classroom strikes some more "traditional" religious americans as shocking.
much like any civil rights movement, or advancement to mankind, it must be done slowly. even though cro magnons beat out neanderthals in a race to survive due to adaptability, we are still resistant to change.
i'm happy to see unrest, because it means the wheels are turning.

Why thank you. :) It's a she, though.

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1789101113Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll