d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > LS Character Builds > Weapon Strategies To Climb The Ladder > A Simple Guide To Help With A Game Plan
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 33,836.87
Apr 15 2011 01:04pm
What Weapon Types Should I Buy?

I. Preface
One of the hidden treasures of this game is the ability to play, stat, and experiment with different gear types & builds to best fit your preferred game style. I'm deliberately focusing on the Weapons of this journey here while leaving Armors / Charms for various seperate topics. Those gear choices are completely determined on play strategy and each different strategy is topic worthy. Keeping this in mind, there is no ‘Best’ way to build a character. Honestly, I’ve gotten to the point that I just find myself simply building my character to what best suits my group makeup for that climb. I evaluate the group and ask myself “Do we need a tank/healer/melee/hybrid/etc” and I choose my gear accordingly. I could speak volumes on this, but I’m not looking to make an advanced guide and again this is only about Weapons.

The purpose of this guide is simply to provide an educated insight into investing fg in Weapons to climb the ladder. My target audience is for those just beginning. I’m sharing my experiences for you to gain background information and act as part of your research to begin your career with a game plan. A proper game plan will save you a lot of effort and possibly fg down the road.

II. Weapon Paths

• One Step at a Time
      Realize, if you have less than 100fg, then you will also want to read How to do your First Climb on a 20fg Budget. Also, another very viable strategy that a lot of ppl do is to simply buy gear that each class can wear and just sell it when they pass. I know plenty of ppl that do that. With limited funds, this is a viable strategy to be the best possible can on that particular class. However, if you buy higher end gear, you may not want to sell something that could be difficult to get back later when you may need it again.

• Swords for 3 Doors
      This strategy is viable to allow one to buy 1 gear set to climb all the way until monk. The Odds to pass the first 3x classes and get to monk are 18 climbs. If you haven’t found that 10,000+ fg drop yet as dreamed about in the Highest Valued Items Bought/Sold, then you could even start a new char and run it to Monk as well. You’re still having fun and making a steady income as detailed in the How Can I Make FG in LS

• Need Swagger? Buy A Dagger!
      I can’t overemphasize the importance of purchasing a dagger set. More than likely, you’ll spend the majority of your time trying to get past Monk/Ninja. Yes, both of these 4 door classes can be played using a dagger! Basically, if you are able to borrow a club/axe/sword/heavy set , then you can make it all the way to Warlock with 1 gear set.

• Why Melee when you can Cast?
      Yes, it is possible to Cast cast every class in the game. I’m not saying this is the best way to do it, but it is possible. The biggest shortcomings you will find are not being able to use any of the beautiful melee abilities provided on each class. Couple that with mana problems resulting from a lack of starting +Int and you will begin to see the challenges. I do know a lot of ppl still opting for this though. If you can cut it, in the end you’ll have a nice caster prof! Tip: Only use the Mage abilities.

• Swords & Staffs
      Owning this combo will allow you to level all the way to a Head Hunter. Realize though that you’ll need to get both Str & Dex sets as their ratios are opposite. Something else I personally consider a shortcoming is that a Warlock is the best casting class in the game. My thoughts are that a melee Warlock is a waste—but it can work!

• Swords / Casting Charms
      This will allow you to go all the way to Headhunter w/o too much of an issue. The only snag can be on Monk. However, with the proper gear, caster monk isn’t that bad. All 3x door classes and Ninja are covered by Swords. I’ve seen this work extremely well for some people.

• Daggers / Axes / Casting Charms
      This is the option I chose and I ofc think it’s the most efficient in the game. Realize though, this option uses the most expensive weapons. However, all classes can be played to best make use of their respective abilities.

• Swords / Axes / Staffs / Casting Charms
      Yep, you’re also able to play all classes and make the best use of their respective abilities choosing this combo. If you’re able to borrow an axe set for Head Hunter, then you can knock that out of the equation and maybe make this a less expensive solution (if you ignore still having to buy both str & dex gear).

Gold: 20.73
Apr 15 2011 01:07pm
Nice guide and all, but these should probably go in the Character builds and Discussion forum bro.

This post was edited by WarFox on Apr 15 2011 01:07pm
Gold: 119,903.34
Apr 15 2011 01:08pm
Quote (Stok3d @ Apr 15 2011 03:04pm)
What Weapon Types Should I Buy?

I.  Preface
One of the hidden treasures of this game is the ability to play, stat, and experiment with different gear types & builds to best fit your preferred game style.  I'm deliberately focusing on the Weapons of this journey here while leaving Armors / Charms for various seperate topics.  Those gear choices are completely determined on play strategy and each different strategy is topic worthy.  Keeping this in mind, there is no ‘Best’ way to build a character.  Honestly, I’ve gotten to the point that I just find myself simply building my character to what best suits my group makeup for that climb.  I evaluate the group and ask myself “Do we need a tank/healer/melee/hybrid/etc” and I choose my gear accordingly.  I could speak volumes on this, but I’m not looking to make an advanced guide and again this is only about Weapons. 

The purpose of this guide is simply to provide an educated insight into investing fg in Weapons to climb the ladder.  My target audience is for those just beginning.  I’m sharing my experiences for you to gain background information and act as part of your research to begin your career with a game plan.  A proper game plan will save you a lot of effort and possibly fg down the road.

II.  Weapon Paths
http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu64/Stok3d-Photos/Weapons-Classes.jpg
  • One Step at a Time
      Realize, if you have less than 100fg, then you will also want to read How to do your First Climb on a 20fg Budget.  Also, another very viable strategy that a lot of ppl do is to simply buy gear that each class can wear and just sell it when they pass.  I know plenty of ppl that do that.  With limited funds, this is a viable strategy to be the best possible can on that particular class.  However, if you buy higher end gear, you may not want to sell something that could be difficult to get back later when you may need it again.

• Swords for 3 Doors
      This strategy is viable to allow one to  buy 1 gear set to climb all the way until monk.  The Odds to pass the first 3x classes and get to monk are 18 climbs.  If you haven’t found that 10,000+ fg drop yet as dreamed about in the Highest Valued Items Bought/Sold, then you could even start a new char and run it to Monk as well.  You’re still having fun and making a steady income as detailed in the How Can I Make FG in LS

• Need Swagger?  Buy A Dagger!
      I can’t overemphasize the importance of purchasing a dagger set.  More than likely, you’ll spend the majority of your time trying to get past Monk/Ninja.  Yes, both of these 4 door classes can be played using a dagger!  Basically, if you are able to borrow a club/axe/sword/heavy set , then you can make it all the way to Warlock with 1 gear set.

• Why Melee when you can Cast?
      Yes, it is possible to Cast cast every class in the game.  I’m not saying this is the best way to do it, but it is possible.  The biggest shortcomings you will find are not being able to use any of the beautiful melee abilities provided on each class.  Couple that with mana problems resulting from a lack of starting +Int and you will begin to see the challenges.  I do know a lot of ppl still opting for this though.  If you can cut it, in the end you’ll have a nice caster prof!  Tip:  Only use the Mage abilities.

• Swords & Staffs
      Owning this combo will allow you to level all the way to a Head Hunter.  Realize though that you’ll need to get both Str & Dex sets as their ratios are opposite.  Something else I personally consider a shortcoming is that a Warlock is the best casting class in the game.  My thoughts are that a melee Warlock is a waste—but it can work!

• Swords / Casting Charms
      This will allow you to go all the way to Headhunter w/o too much of an issue.  The only snag can be on Monk.  However, with the proper gear, caster monk isn’t that bad.  All 3x door classes and Ninja are covered by Swords.  I’ve seen this work extremely well for some people.

• Daggers / Axes / Casting Charms
      This is the option I chose and  I ofc think it’s the most efficient in the game.  Realize though, this option uses the most expensive weapons.  However, all classes can be played to best make use of their respective abilities.

• Swords / Axes / Staffs / Casting Charms
      Yep, you’re also able to play all classes and make the best use of their respective abilities choosing this combo.  If you’re able to borrow an axe set for Head Hunter, then you can knock that out of the equation and maybe make this a less expensive solution (if you ignore still having to buy both str & dex gear).

Stop it nick, 1/1000 people are going to find a 10kfg item.

And this is in the wrong forum.
Gold: 81,990.09
Apr 15 2011 01:17pm
this is the only Mt. Olympus you can reach my friend
Gold: 136,035.88
Trader: Trusted
Apr 15 2011 01:50pm
everything i allrdy tried to explain 100 times.. thx for this :thumbsup:
now i will simply say:

check this:
and post your link ^^
Gold: 106,730.84
Apr 15 2011 01:53pm
tldr
buy axes daggers dex charms and dex armors and ee scales

casting setup

reset ladder

this is the best way to climb the ladder

This post was edited by Boss on Apr 15 2011 01:53pm
Gold: 7,798.12
Apr 15 2011 02:03pm
Another nice guide, Nick.

The explanations are quick and to the point (w/o a huge wall of text) and you offer different weapon paths for people to choose. (depending on their budget and preferences)

and the Weapon Path chart is great for people who like to see visual aspects rather than just text.

it''s very informative and should help new players focus their needs to get a better understanding.

This post was edited by Brainwashed on Apr 15 2011 02:03pm
Banned
Gold: 26,791.50
Warn: 20%
Apr 15 2011 03:24pm
Quote (ahs_darkhunter @ Apr 15 2011 02:50pm)
everything i allrdy tried to explain 100 times.. thx for this  :thumbsup:
now i will simply say:

check this:
and post your link ^^

lol ^^
Gold: 21,490.46
Apr 16 2011 10:57am
I wanted to write a similar guide (if not exactly the same), but I knew that my English isn't perfect, so I gave up :P
Even though for most of us is just stating an obvious, it is really nice :)
Gold: 985.14
Apr 16 2011 11:08am
One thing that is nearly always overlooked is that Clubs/Daggers gets you to warlock (a class which few people will pass). Caster gear can be added to that if needed.
Should be added imo.

/edit, ahh I see it is sort of stealthily tucked in there though if someone starts off with clubs or daggers it's still a reasonable possibility even though there are better options.

This post was edited by mwm_zyxcba on Apr 16 2011 11:15am
Go Back To LS Character Builds Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll