d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > Scaryghoul's V1.13 Vita Bone Necromancer Guide
12314Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,767.60
Aug 23 2010 06:35pm
Scaryghoul's v1.13 Vita Bone Necromancer Guide

Table Of Contents
1.Introduction
  1. About Me
  2. Why Necromancers
  3. Legend
2. Stat Allocation
  1. Starting Stats
  2. Per Level
  3. Stat Bonuses
  4. Vitality Vs Max block
  5. Placing Stats
3. Skills
  1. Notes
  2. Allocation
  3. Notes and Explanations
4. Equipment
  1. Breakpoints
  2. Equipment Options
  3. Builds
  4. Socketing
  5. Mercenary gear
5. Tactics
  1. Hotkeys
  2. General Tactics
6. Class-Specific Strategies
  1. Sorceress
  2. Necromancer
  3. Druid
  4. Amazon
  5. Paladin
  6. Assassin
  7. Barbarian
  8. Team Dueling
7. My Necromancer
  1. Major Stats
  2. Setup
  3. Screenshot
8. My Necromancer
  1. Major Stats
  2. Setup
  3. Screenshot
9. Credits
10. Useful links.

1. Introduction

About Me

By now most of you know me, for those who don't I'm a long time necromancer player who's experimented with many different builds over the years. A few years ago I was known by my west nl necromancer iMaxedAmp. Now as most of you who know me, know that I've moved to East nl with a new necromancer Excavated. I'm not done with D2 just yet but the time is nearing yet again. I plan to cover as many aspects of the bone necromancer as I can, including PvM usage which is viable as most would think otherwise. I will not be going over max block setups in depth but I will mention them.

Why Necromancers?

Necromancers have the versatility needed to vs. any character in the game with a little bit of practice. They are more skill oriented then damage/builds. They have lots of room to expand and can be a lot of fun to master.

Legend
  • FCR: Faster Cast Rate
  • FHR: Faster Hit Recovery
  • FRW: Faster Run Walk
  • RES: Resistances
  • DR: Damage Reduction
  • MB: Max Block
  • WSG: Weapon Switch Glitch
Aug 23 2010 06:35pm
2. Stat Allocation

Starting Attributes
  • Strength - 15
  • Dexterity - 25
  • Vitality - 15
  • Energy - 25
  • Stamina- 79
  • Mana - 25
Per level
  • Life +1.5
  • Stamina +1
  • Mana +2
Stat Bonuses
  • Strength - Allows for wearing equipment
  • Dexterity - Allows for wearing equipment
  • Vitality - Adds life and stamina
  • Energy - adds mana
  • 1 Vitality point gives 2 Life
  • 1 Vitality point gives 1 Stamina
  • 1 Energy point gives 2 Mana

Vitality Vs Max block builds
There seems to be a lot of controversy over this for newer necromancers. Some inexperienced players/necromancers will claim that Max block is essential for vs melee but this is false, block is nothing but a handicap for necromancers and is a terrible way to build a first necromancer as it brings some sort of psychological feeling of safety causing many to play careless overall making them worse necromancers. Not to mention the loss in life/res vs casters. Although there are indeed times where a max block necromancer would shine. In realms where TvT is active and has a lot of Zons/Barbs block/DR% is rather essential, well it's not required but it will help you a lot and your team by staying alive longer to do more damage.
For pubs/1v1 I'd suggest getting a vitality/DR necromancer that way you become overall more versatile. You can even get high block on a 100% vitality necromancer with the right gear.
So my finaly word on the matter, vitality > block for most to all necromancers, especially beginners since vitality will teach you to control your necromancer better and will give you a better feel overall what a necromancer can do and should do. You can add block at a later time when you get down playing him. Although block necromancers usually have lower resistances/life/mana/damage but the tanking ability is a nice tradeoff for some. This guide will be based around Vitality setups with a block swap. Tokens should allow you to play with both without consequence.

Placing Attributes

Placing your stats on this character should be the same as most characters nowadays. Enough Strength and Dexterity for gear, pumping the rest into Vitality. I do not recommend you touch the Energy button. If you are worrying about low mana, mana potions will take care of things. Necromancers have a average of 700-1.1k mana on Vita builds with no points in Energy and I assure you, that is more than enough.

3. Skills

Skill Descriptions
  • Teeth - Fires a wide range of low damage teeth
  • Corpse Explosion - Handy PvM skill.
  • Bone Spear - Fires a high damage spear
  • Bone Spirit - Fires a high damage spirit that follows enemies
  • Bone Armor - Creates a revolving shield made from bone that absorbs physical damage
  • Bone Wall - Creates a wall of bone that absorbs damage
  • Bone Prison - Creates a circle of bone around the enemy that absorbs damage and traps them
  • Clay Golem - Summons a meat shield
  • Revive - Ressurects a monster that you kill, good for BM necromancers since you can get a lot of minions with juts 1 point. Although better to get on a wand.
  • Poison dagger - Prerequisite for nova on hybrid builds
  • Poison explosion - Prerequisite for nova on hybrid builds
  • Poison nova - Fires a ring of poison around you, good for vs ES sorceress'.
  • Blood Golem - Prereq to other golems
  • Iron golem - Golem made of iron, have to cast on a metal item, comes with 50% resist lightning & 100% poison
  • Fire golem - Golem made of fire, fun for fire tanking. Immune to fire.
  • Golem Mastery - Increases your golem's life and speed dramatically
  • Summon Resist - Raises golems resistances, also causing them to be immune to different elements.
  • Amplify Damage - Curses your enemy and reduces their Physical damage reduction by 100%
  • Iron Maiden - Curses your enemy so when they attack with physical damage, it is reflected back on them
  • Decrepify - Target's Speed, Damage and Physical Resistance -50%(BM on a lot of realms)
  • Lower resist - This skill takes a lot of points to get and is best gotten off a wand but poison hybrids gain a lot of damage from skilling this also it is good for team play where there are more elemental characters than melee.
  • Teleport - Same as Sorceresses skill
Skill Allocation
  • Teeth - 20
  • Bone Spear - 20
  • Bone Spirit - 20
  • Bone Wall - 20(Either max this last or prison, if you want to change points around steal from one of the two. Since bonewall is bm on some realms it would be a good choice to steal from)
  • Bone Prison - 20(Same as bone wall)
  • Bone Armor - 1
  • Corpse Explosion - 1
  • Poison dagger - 0(Optional for a hybrid build)
  • Poison explosion - 0(Optional for a hybrid build)
  • Poison nova - 0(Optional for a hybrid build)
  • Clay Golem - 1
  • Blood Golem - 0(Optional if you want fire golem)
  • Iron golem - 0(Optional if you want a lightning/poison immune golem)
  • Fire golem - 0(Optional if you want a fire immune golem)
  • Golem Mastery - 1
  • Summon Resist - 1
  • Amplify Damage - 1
  • Iron Maiden - 0(Optional)
  • Decrepify - 0(optional)
  • Lower resist - 0(Optional)
  • Revives - 0(Optional for Bm builds).
Skill Notes and Explanations

Teeth - Other than a synergy and a prerequisite its a handy skill vs. wind druids. It takes away enemy minion stacks and has a stun effect. It can be useful against any player because of the wide range of attack. Also, it triggers enemy's FHR animation and is good for whittling away at their life.

Bone Spear - This is one of your main attacks in general. It may be difficult to acquire aim with this, but it can really be useful once you get the hang of it, as you cannot always rely on spirits to hit the better players. Also spirit is considered BM (Bad Mannered) in NvN. It is your main attack to kill with. When spear goes through a mob or a summon necro the damage gets split 1/2 for every monster it passes through.

Bone Spirit - This is your other main attack. This is a very simple skill to use in general since it requires no aim, so anyone can use it. To be skilled with it is very different. Use it to predict your opponent and lead them where you want them to go.

Bone Armor - Everytime this wears down, you will want to recast this because it can take so much damage for you. It is simply a shield against physical damage. It does not absorb elemental, poison, or magical damage.

Bone Wall - Synergy and also very useful. You can use this to guide those Desynching Pallys or block arrows from an Amazon. Also it can be useful in PvM when you need to heal up or run.

Bone Prison - Synergy and also very handy in catching Desynching Pallys because it traps them and stops them from moving. It also works on Amazons (or any other character that is walking).

Amplify Damage - This skill is more useful in games with teams(TvT, Team vs Team) to help your teammates as it amplifies the physical damage received by your enemy and can also break physical immunities in PvM.

Iron Maidon - This skill is considered BM because whenever a character with physical damage attacks you, it reflects their damage back on them more strongly.

Clay Golem - The good old meat shield. This monster is useful in almost every situation (except a few - I'll get into that later). He slows your enemies and blocks hits, so everytime he dies, recast him like bone armor. Also there is a golem glitch where if you teleport on someone in NvN and they click on you they hit your golem not you unless they click in your general direction. His starting resistances are physical: 25%
Lightning: 20%
Cold: 50%

Iron golem - Another golem with less life than clay but invariably is immune to poison naturally and has 50% starting lightning resistance. With the boost from summon resist it becomes immune to lightning as well.

Fire golem - A golem made of fire, again with less life than clay but is immune to fire so is a natural tank. Your main two golems should be fire/clay, although it's best to just get fire golem on a white wand instead of investing 3 points, you can use them elsewhere(Synergies or further your curse inventory to get decrep ect.)

Corpe Explosion - A very useful skill when PvM. it causes a corpse to explode, dealing 70-120% of its life as damage to nearby enemies, split 50% fire and 50% physical.

Teleport - Same as sorceress' skill. This is your main form of transportion (no walking, except in special circumstances - see strategy section).

Poison nova - Some bone necromancers like to make hybrids, this mainly went out the door for Vs all after the marrow bug was patched but a medium - high damage nova makes one of your worst matchups much easier as Nova shreds through ES. This is optional.

Lower resist - This goes hand in hand with poison nova or TvT's with traps assassins and sorceress'. It also helps your CE damage for PvM builds.

This post was edited by Scaryghoul on Aug 23 2010 06:40pm
Aug 23 2010 06:36pm
4. Equipment

Breakpoint Goals

FCR Frames
0% 15
9% 14
18% 13
30% 12
48% 11
75% 10
125% 9 ----- This is our goal. There really is no other option here. You may try 75% if you like, but I do not suggest it as it will slow you down.

FHR Frames
0% 13
5% 12
10% 11
16% 10
26% 9
39% 8
56% 7
86% 6 -------- This is our goal. It will be good for almost any match up.
152% 5 --------- You may try this, but I do not suggest sacrificing many things for it as the only thing it is really good for is NvN (Necromancer vs. Necromancer) - I will present a separate NvN build for this breakpoint.

Equipment Options

Now here's the fun part. There are so many different setups and swaps that come with this necromancer to hit all those breakpoints. Feel free to mix the gear around and see what suits your needs best.
Sidenote: Don't try to get all of the gear I list, it's not required. Most of the gear I list is just to open your eyes to different possibilities for things that would otherwise be overlooked. If you got all this gear you would have to bring a mule ingame to help you half the time. The idea is to keep your mind open and talor your gear to your own build, that's most of the fun in a necromancer.

Weapons
  • Hoto - This is the main weapon on many necromancers for the resistances, FCR bonus, 20 life replenish, and the +3 skills it gives. It also offers a mana boost to top it off. It is a nice and solid weapon. Oak may not have much life but it can take 1 hit and also provides you some life, so use it if your realm rules do not prohibit it.
  • Wizardspike - This is a highly underated tool that many people over look because it has no +skills. This little dagger comes with 50% FCR and 75% resistances and an abundance of mana. This is perfect for when you need to stack resistances or need more FCR. Furthermore, unlike Hoto, the Wizzy can be socketed with a nice jewel or rune of your choosing.
  • White Wand - This is a very nice tool for NvN, but I don't suggest running around with it as your main weapon, as you lose a lot of mana/res with it. But you gain very high damage. Preferably get a 8/6 White wand (8spear/6spirit).
  • Suicide Branch -I've seen some people use it. It comes with 50% FCR, 10% Resistances, +1 Skill, 40 life, and also a bit of Mana. It's a nice tool, so use it if you want. No comment on its usefulness as I've yet to use it, although I've heard that it's good because if you have max resistances with it, it's likely you will on swap if you're WSGing.
  • Cs Spirit - I recommend this for block setups & when attempting to obtain 152FHR.
  • Deathweb - Main reason you should ever use this is to help kill ES sorceress' with poison nova and finish with spear.
  • 2/20/3spear/2socket wand - This is another thing I've never used myself but a friend mentioned it, the other rare mods are possible to be useful and the 2 sockets you can jam some nice jewels in there. Overall it'll hit a little harder than Hoto. No comment on builds with it since I've never used it.
Shields
  • 35Fcr Spirit Monarch - Only choice, it has needed FCR/skills/res/mana
  • Stormshield - This is for your max block setup.
  • Splendor - As mentioned far below, some necromancers like to get a nova that does some damage to take out ES sorceress' easier.
Helms
  • Crown Of Ages(COA) - This is a nice helm as it provides a skill, FHR, resistances, and an abundance of damage reduction. Also, it has 2 sockets, so its very flexible. The resistances help vs. elemental based attacks, the damage reduction helps vs. counter physical characters such as the Barbarian or some Paladins.
  • Harlequin Crest(SHAKO) - This is a very nice helm in general. It has mass life and mass mana, 2 to all skills, and 10% damage reduction. If you prefer the Shako then use it. (shael)
  • 2/20FCR Nec Circ - This can be handy as a swap to make up for lost FCR or the 2 open sockets it provides. Depending on the mods you get, it can have its advantages. I suggest you socket it with Shael/Shael for NvN when you want to reach 152 FHR.
  • 3/20/2 FCR Nec Circ - This is strictly for NvN
  • 2/20/2 FCR Nec Circ with dex - This is for your max block setup. 1 Socket ones are fine as well(Shael)
  • 2/20/20-30FRW - The FRW here helps with those times you need to walk, such as WSGing out of traps, walk/spearing wind druids, NvN ect.
  • Kira's Guardian - This helm can be fun for other build options or swaps for when you need a true stack, say, vs. Paladins with Conviction or Blizz sorcs. It's used for stacking for people with lower budgets although it's easy to obtain a stack without it.
Ammy
  • 2/20nec ammy - This is a very handy amulet as it frees up either the belt slot or the rings due to the mass FCR. Some are better then others, depending on the mods. Look for stats, life, life rep mana, and resists. If you are unable to find a 2/20 fcr ammy then you may settle for a 2/10fcr ammy as it can be almost as useful.
  • Mara's Kaleidoscope - This is a standard necro ammy due to the +2 to all skills/5 to all stats/resists. Depending on your other gear, this may be a good choice. I am using this until I can get my hands on a storm circ
  • 3/100life or 3/10 - These are some choices for some necromancers for NvN or vs characters that don't need resistances from and you don't need much FCR.
Armor
  • Enigma - Only real choice here for the Teleport. It also offers a large strength bonus which allows you to put more points into vitality. Breast Plate looks nice, but use whatever you like. Just try to make sure it has a low strength requirement.
Gloves
  • Trang-Oul's Claws - This is a solid choice for NvA or TvT due to the +2 curses helping your amp radius & the 20fcr & the good cold resistances. This will be your main.
  • Mage fists - These are pretty good because of the mana regen if you are in a place that you don't need +2 amp or cold resistances(NvN or NvHammer, ect.)
  • Bloodfist - This is another useful item for when you want to hit that 152 FHR Breakpoint which is so useful in NvN.
Belt
  • Arachnids Mesh - This is just a great belt in general. If you're lacking FCR, this provides a mighty 20% FCR. It also packs a +1 to all skills and a bit of mana.
  • Bugbelt - If you have it and want to use it go for it, I don't play europe so I won't provide a build with it, but it should be pretty self explanitory to use it with the NvA setup.
  • Verdungo's Hearty Cord - This belt is so useful in many builds. The 2/20 fcr ammy can make up the lost FCR, and this belt comes with +40 to vitality, 15% damage reduction, and 10% FHR. It's a nice all-round belt.
  • Thundergod's Vigor - Simply a belt for sorbing lightning.
  • Snowclash - Simply a belt for sorbing cold although you'll never need it.
Boots - This is really a matter of choice/needs here. Each necromancer chooses something different. Don't get stats from here either if you intend on swapping boots.
  • Waterwalk - They are a nice pair of boots to have on a vita necro, since they give alot more life than Sandstorm treks due to vitality being counted in life AFTER bo while life from waterwalks get's bo'd as well. Although they have no fhr it comes down to personal preferance. These boots also come with 5% maximum fire resistances and dexterity.
  • Blood boots - I use a pair of these for the life replenish and life, they can spawn with resistances/fhr/frw and always spawn with life/life rep which is very handy.
  • Rare Fhr/Res - If you can get a good pair of these, they are a decent choice. Look for FHR, resists, and stats.
  • Aldurs boots - Underated boots from most, but the FRW/life/fire resistances make these a very nice choice for budget necromancers.
  • Shadow dancers - Amazing max block boots, up to 25dex/30FHR/30frw
  • Sandstorm Trek- Useful boots for budget or starting necromancers. Although I don't recommend using them on any build unless you really can't afford anything else.
  • HotSpur - These are boots used by alot of necro's and various other characters with the main intent on fire absorbing and stacking vs fire based characters such as FB Sorceress'.
Rings
  • Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band - Very nice rings if you don't need FCR from the ring slots. They provide +1 to all skills and a healthy life boost.
  • Stone of Jordan - Also nice rings as they also offer +1 to all skills, but they have mana boost instead of life. If you want more mana, you can use these or mix one with a BK. Again, no FCR.
  • Rare FCR rings - These are used to make up fcr if your ever in need of it with any of your swaps. Try to look for rings with Life/Life replenish/resistances/mana. Don't bother getting stat rings, as your necromancer needs to be able to swap rings a lot, so don't count the stats from them.
  • Raven Frost - Use these when you want to sorb cold or are vs a wind druid, the cbf helps when you want to run/spear.
  • Dwarf Star - Use these when you want to sorb fire, or are doing trav for gold.
  • Wisp Projector - Use these when you want to sorb lightning.
Charms
  • Hellfire Torch - There is no way to do this without this, you just cant beat the +3 to all skills and resists/stats. The higher the stats and resists the better, obviously.
  • Annihilus - Another must have, offering +1 to all skills and 10-20 resists/stats. Again, the higher the better.
  • 9x PnB Lifers - Just cant beat the life/skills. The higher the life the better.
  • 2x PnB FHR - Sometimes you need to make up on some FHR so keep a couple of these in your stash.
  • 10x life/resist scs - These are just plain nice. If you can't get these due to their expensiveness, get plain old 20 lifers. But 20/5s are nice, as are 20/11's. If you can get a healthy stack without these, 20life/10+cold resistance ones would be ideal.
Swap
  • CTA - Higher stats preferred for higher BO.
  • Spirit Monarch - This is just used to boost your BO level.
Note As long as you hit the given Breakpoints then feel free to mix and match gear as you like

Builds - I'm not going to into exhausting detail with these because I think you should experiment with them and see what fits your needs. But here are some basic builds I've used

NvN
  • Helm - 2/20/life/mana circlet(Shael) - You don't need damage reduction % or resistances so a circlet is the ideal choice here. If you can't get one with life, you may be more interested in shako.
  • Weapon - White. Adds lots of damage
  • Armor - Enigma. Never changes
  • Shield - Spirit. Never changes
  • Belt - Arach. Adds the needed FCR boost to hit 125%
  • Gloves - Mages, the mana% regen is nice here. If not then trangs work just as well since NvN tends to be fast paced.
  • Boots - Waterwalks or aldurs. both present lots of life and fhr isn't required. Aldurs is slightly preferred by some for the higher FRW%
  • Ammy - Maras, 2 to all skills, +2bo already adds a decent bit if life/mana so this is great.
  • Rings - BK & Fcr ring, some would argue that soj is better here but since NvN is so fast paced, your mana will most likely not get drained quickly before one of you dies.
  • Charms - Normal setup but with 1x 12fhr pnb gc to hit the 86% fhr breakpoint

Notes: Nothing in paticular.

NvN 1
  • Helm - Shako(Shael) You do not need excessive damage reduction or resistances, so CoA is unneeded and Shako provides lots of mana/life
  • Weapon - White. Adds lots of damage
  • Armor - Enigma. Never changes
  • Shield - Spirit. Never changes
  • Belt - Arach. Adds the needed FCR boost to hit 125%
  • Gloves - Trangs. Never changes
  • Boots - Waterwalks or aldurs
  • Ammy - 2/20. Needed for FCR, or a 2/10 if you can't afford a 2/20. You will just have to sacrifice a ring slot
  • Rings - BKs or SoJs. Replace one of these with a FCR if you aren't getting enough FCR from your ammy.
  • Charms - FHR gc.

Notes: Nothing in paticular. Although the one above is slightly better.

NvN, 152 FHR
  • Helm - 3/20/2Circ(Shael/Shael), or a 2/20/life/mana(shael) circ from normal nvn.
  • Armor - Enigma
  • Weapon - Spirit sword
  • Shield - Spirit
  • Gloves - Mages
  • Belt - Arach
  • Rings - 2x BK
  • Ammy - Maras
  • Boots - Aldurs or waterwalks
  • Charms - If you went with 3/20/2(shael/shael) go with a 5fhr sc, if you went with the 1shael circ go with 2x 12fhr charms

Notes: 152 FHR is nice for NvN and spirit sword is handy from the nice fhr/fcr/mana.

NvN, 152 FHR1
  • Helm - 3/20/2Circ(Shael/Shael)
  • Armor - Enigma
  • Weapon - White wand
  • Shield - Spirit
  • Gloves - Bloodfist for the FHR
  • Belt - Arach
  • Rings - 1x FCR/1x BK
  • Ammy - 2/20 FCR
  • Boots - Sandstorm Treks or Waterwalks
  • Charms - 1x FHR GC

Notes: Nothing in paticular. Although this one is slightly worse than the one above.

NvA (DR/Res)
  • Helm - CoA. This is perfect for the NvA because its so flexible
  • Weapon - Wizzy. This can provide easy FCR to make up gaps and mass mana/resists for pubs (FHR jewel, preferably with resists)
  • Armor - Enigma. Again, never changes
  • Shield - Spirit
  • Belt - Verdungo's. This provides nice DR/life
  • Gloves - Trangs.
  • Boots - Treks or Waterwalks Resists are unneeded due to wizzy so fhr or life is goal.
  • Ammy - 2/20. Needed for FCR without an Arach. Feel free to swap out the ammy for Mara's and belt for an Arach
  • Rings - 2x BKs
  • Charms - Standard

Notes: This build would be better than the one below with better gear.
NvA (DR/Res) for those who can't get a 2/20 amulet
  • Helm - CoA(Ber & Fhr/res/-req jewel) This is perfect for the NvA because its so flexible
  • Weapon - Wizzy. This can provide easy FCR to make up gaps and mass mana/resists for pubs (FHR/Res/-req jewel would be best)
  • Armor - Enigma. Again, never changes
  • Shield - Spirit
  • Belt - Arachnids mesh
  • Gloves - Trangs.
  • Boots - Blood boots, waterwalks, aldurs in that order of importance.
  • Ammy - Mara's
  • Rings - Bk/soj. One of each will keep your mana reasonably high and get a decent life boost as well.
  • Charms - Standard
Notes: This build is better for those who can't get a 2/20/4x life amulet, this would present higher life but less DR%.

NvA (Standard) - This is the standard necro build out there that most use. It's a starter build
  • Helm - Shako (shael)
  • Weapon - Hoto
  • Armor - Enigma
  • Shield - Spirit
  • Belt - Arach
  • Gloves - Trangs
  • Boots - Treks or Waterwalks
  • Ammy - Mara's
  • Rings - 1x FCR/1x BK
  • Charms - Standard

Notes: Nothing in paticular.

NvA SuperStack
  • Helm - Kira's Guardian - You don't ever really need that much of a resist stack, but it can be quite fun to give conv/FoH paladins or Blizz sorcs a hard time with this. It also provides some FHR.
  • Weapon - Wizzy
  • Armor - Enigma
  • Shield - Spirit
  • Belt - Dungos
  • Gloves - Trangs
  • Boots - Tri-res boots
  • Ammy - 2/20
  • Rings - 2x BKs
Notes: If you would like to swap out the 2/20 FCR ammy for a Mara's, feel free to make up the FCR in the rings.

Block
  • Helm - 2/20/20dex circ. Shael.(2 sockets would be awesome)
  • Weapon - Hoto
  • Armor - Enigma
  • Shield - Stormshield, Eld'd
  • Belt - Arach
  • Gloves - Trangs
  • Boots - Waterwalks or Tri-resistance boots with dex
  • Ammy - 2/20/dex
  • Rings - 1 Ravenfrost/ 1 FCR/ dex ring
You would probably be better off most of the time without max block but if you feel it's needed then use this.

Block2
  • Helm - 2/20/20dex circ. (9dex jewels with res/str would probably be best here if you go with dancers, shael if otherwise)
  • Weapon - Spirit CS(Great for making up the FHR balance)
  • Armor - Enigma
  • Shield - Stormshield, Eld'd
  • Belt - Arach
  • Gloves - Trangs or mages
  • Boots - Shadow dancers or waterwalks
  • Ammy - 2/10/Dex
  • Rings - 2x FCR/Dex/resistance
Notes: If you use dancers, go with a 5fhr sc to hit 86fhr. If you use waterwalks & 1x shaeled circ, go with a 12fhr gc.

TvT block - With sorb option
  • Helm - 2/20/20dex circ circ(max res rune//jah-shael if 2 sockets)
  • Weapon - Hoto
  • Armor - Enigma
  • Shield - Stormshield(Cham or FHR/dex/resist jewel)
  • Belt - Arach
  • Gloves - Trangs or mages. Trangs should get the pick here for +2 amp radius.
  • Boots - Shadow dancers or 08 boots with 20fhr/dex/resistances
  • Ammy - 2/20/(hopefully dex)/REP
  • Rings - 1x Fcr/dex/REP ring, a ring of your choosing, whether it be soj/wisp/raven/dwarf ect.
Note: This build was not drafted by me, credit goes to Soccergoal10.

NvA with white
  • Helm - Shako or CoA
  • Weapon - White
  • Armor - Enigma
  • Shield - Spirit monarch
  • Belt - Arach
  • Gloves - Trangs or mages
  • Boots - Blood boots would be nice although aldurs is a close second with FRW/life/resistances.
  • Ammy - 2/20/(hopefully dex)/REP
  • Rings - Fcr ring & a sorb ring to your pick, or soj/bk
Note: I didn't make this build either, Soccergoal10 threw this suggestion at me. You lose some life rep/resistances but you gain a large power boost.
Note1: You can also swap out shako/CoA for a tgods/circ build.

Notes
  • CtA Swap never changes
  • All of the shown builds reach the given breakpoints
  • I will not say which build is better or best, so you will just have to try them yourself and play with them
  • If you are unable to find a 2/20 ammy, as previously mentioned, you can use a ring slot to make up for it
  • In PvM any of the setups would do fine if you have maxed resistances
  • With the max block setup you will hit 56-60% block not actual max block

This post was edited by _Mork_ on Aug 25 2010 05:05am
Aug 23 2010 06:37pm
Socketing
  1. Runes
    • Shael rune - You will put this into your circ if you are lacking FHR
    • Ber rune - These are preferred by some to go into your CoA. If you want a higher "Damage Reduction" then use it.
    • Um rune - This is a cheap version of a 20/15 as it provides good resistances and is cheap but it has no other mods. Use when you need resistances and cannot afford a 20/15.
    • Eld rune - This is used on a max block setup or switch in your stormshield to lower the required dexterity you need for max block.
    • Lo/Vex - Some people like LoLo CoA's for vs hybrid sins. Others like Vex'd circlets.
    • Jah rune - This adds life if you don't need anything else.
    • Ko - This adds 10 dexterity to increase your blocking(Poor mans 9/9 jewel)
  2. Jewels
    • 20/15 Jewel - 20life/15 resistances, Put these in your CoA or Circ or Wizzy if you need resistances, or don't need anything else.
    • 7/15 Jewel - 7FHR/15 resistances, these are preferred by some to make up for little bits of FHR
    • 15/15 Jewel - 15 resistances/-15 requirements, quite handy in a CoA
    • 7fhr/res/-req jewel - Great in wizard spike or CoA, it may not present more life than jah in your NvA setup but it will increase life in other setups from less points spent in str/dex. The fhr is nice to :)
    • 9str/9dex/mods jewel - Although 1 less dexterity than KO, it is still much more effective from the other mods. The dex will help block and try to get one with resistances on them.

Merc gear
  • Helms - Vampire gaze or Ral'd Andariel's visage. Helms are easy to mix and match, if your merc doesn't have CBF socket vampire's gaze with a cham.
  • Weapon - One option. Insight. Base type is up to you but the mana regen from meditation is just to good to give up as spamming CE in pvm is mana intensive.
  • Armor - Treachery, a great option for mercenaries for every mod on it.
Mercenary guides
http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=42086445&f=87
http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showtopic=34222950&f=87

5. Tactics

Hotkeys

Necromancers are hotkey dependant, so you need to be able to swap keys on the fly

Standard Necromancer Keys
  • A - Teleport
  • S - Spirit
  • D - Spear
  • F - Prison
  • W - Bone Armor
  • E - Golem
  • R - Bone Wall
  • V - Amp
  • T - Battle Command
  • G - Battle Orders
  • Left Click - Teeth
My hotkeys
  • D - Battle Command
  • F - Battle Orders
  • E - Amplify Damage
  • ` - Golem
  • 1 - Spirit
  • 2 - Spear
  • 3 - Bone Armor
  • 4 - Teleport
  • 5 - Bone Prison
  • 6 - Bone Wall
  • R - Corpse explosion
  • A - Fire golem(Not always in my build)
  • S - Iron golem(Not always in my build)
  • Z,X,C,V - Pots
Notes
  • Use the space bar to stand still so you can spam teeth with the left mouse button whenever you want and be back on the run instantly
  • Use what makes you feel comfortable and don't decide to not use a hotkey because you can't deal with that many hotkeys. Just practice, it'll come.
General Tactics

Invisible Bone Spirit - This is a handy trick that can allow you to do serious damage to your opponent if they aren't careful. It is possible for your bone spirits to become invisible. To do this, fire a spirit while your opponent is on your map. Then teleport away until they are off your map. To them, your spirit will no longer be visible. This works very well when you fire spirits into an area where you think your opponent will be going, and can be very dangerous.

Namelocking -This is a nice skill to acquire so you can follow your enemy anywhere and keep the pressure on. This is done by clicking on his name with spear or any attack, and while still holding down the mouse button, switching to teleport. You will teleport directly on top of the target. This only works if they are within a certain range (they have to be on your map).

Chainlocking - Chainlocking is just what the name implies: it’s the chaining of your namelock after you teleport. This is achieved by moving your cursor back to the center of your screen, allowing you to reclick on your target the moment after you teleport. Because you will have had a namelock, the teleport will bring you right on top of the target, so the cursor at the center of your screen will be ready to re-acquire the target

Teleport Tactics - Make your teleports difficult to predict. This will make it hard for your enemy to have spam waiting for you when you land. Don't be afraid to go on the offensive and take control of the duel. With practise, offensive play can be nerve-wracking to your opponent, making it difficult for them organize a counter-attack.

Use your skills - Don't just stand in a corner firing spirits willy-nilly and hoping your opponent will run into them. Spirits are excellent long-range missiles that are great for leading and directing your opponent. They move slowly, so you can fire off a few in one direction and teleport into them for protection and the possibility of doing serious damage to a careless foe. When you fire a spirit without a target, it will go to the place you clicked, and if when it arrives there is a target in range, it will lock on track it down. This means you can control when your spirits should start locking. If you suspect your opponent will tele in close to you, you can shoot spirits by clicking very near your feet. This way, when your opponent lands, the spirits will all lock on to them, which can be very dangerous.

Spears are the staple of your arsenal. They are fast-moving and accurate. Use them when you really want to do some damage. Try to predict your opponent's moves and fire spears where you think they will be. This is especially effective when they are nearby. Spears can also be very deadly when combined with namelocking or chainlocking.

Teeth are excellent for harassment and annoyance. They can slowly chip away at your opponent's life and supplement spears and spirits very well. Since they fan out and are hard to avoid, use them when your opponent gets too close. The damage they inflict can quickly add up. They are also great when you are low on life and on the run to provide cover and damage. When your opponent is low on life, a few rounds of teeth can be all that's needed to finish them off.

Recast your protection! - Whenever you're facing physically based characters, you'll want your armor up at all times. If it gets damaged, recast it. Don't wait for it to fail completely before you do.

Your golem is a tank. It will absorb hits and draw homing attacks like Guided Arrow and Bone Spirit to it. Whenever it dies, recast it so that you don't lose this valuable shield. If you decide to go with more than one golem type, it is advisable to use clay golem vs most, including hybrids even though iron is immune to lightning. Clay vs all, especially cold. Fire golem vs fire elemental characters. Iron golem vs builds that only put out lightning damage, like lightning sorc or some javezons. If iron golem dies, recast as clay.

Golem stacking - This occures when you telestomp another player, your golem will take all the hits until it dies.
Quote from Azn_Masta@jsp
What is Golem Stacking? How do you do it?
• Golem stacking is when you tele stomp on top of another character and the golem will take the initial hits for you until it dies (if there is no splash damage).
• This is extremely useful in NVN match ups as it allows you to safely stomp your opponent.
• In NVN match ups, a common counter is to re-tele on your opponent after they have done the initial stomp on you. This causes you to restack your golem on top of theirs and easily spear them down.

Golem ignore
Quote from Azn_Masta@jsp
Golem-Ignore Spear Method
• As explained above, a common method of defeat your opponent in NVN is to stomp on them to kill. This will allow you to counter that WITHOUT needing to re-tele.
• While golem stacking is effective, it is not 100% perfect. There is still a very small blind spot where the golem does not protect you.
• When your opponent stomps on you, instead of trying to spear directly through them and hitting their golem, aim your spears at a 45 degree angle. This lets you still hit your opponent while ignoring the golem that stacks them.

Telestomp - This is exactly what it sounds like: stomping on your foe with a teleport. It can be done in two ways. One is a short distance attack - spam a couple of spears on the target and then, as a spear is hitting them, tele directly on to them and shoot more spears (instant kill). The second is a long ranged technique. When you have a namelock, teleport. The instant you land, spam some spears (they may get away, but you may be able to get a few hits).

Bone trains - This is most effective in Pubs but it's done by casting 2-4 bone spirits in the same direction, teleporting into them or directly infront of them and casting 2-4 more and repeating. If someone is unlucky enough to stomp you they will most likely meet their demise if not paying attention.

Weapon Switch Glitch (WSG)
When you have a stun swirly above your head (as comes from skills such as mind blast) and are struck, any hit you take will put you into a FHR animation. When you are taking multiple hits in rapid succession, you may find yourself unable to move. This is known as FHR lock. A technique to improve your chances of escaping is to quickly spam your weapon switch key. If you are in a FHR animation, switching weapons will cancel and reset it.

Weapon Switch Glitch Spear (WSG Spear)
Quote from Tails Chao@jsp
you can use wsg to cancel out the animation of a spell as well as just using it to cancel out the fhr animation. put bone spear as your hotkey on both weapon swaps and just press w and quickly right click after, if you do it right it'll make the bone spear casting animation but you won't see a spear come out (it's client side, they'll see it come out and you can see if you're doing it right by hitting someone with it). you can do it while running to hit a trapper while moving out of the way from a light sentry hit.

if there's 3 or so traps hitting you in mb spam and the trapper is 1-2 spears away from death, you can wsg spear to hit them even under all that stun. it's also really abusable if a level 1 fireblast sin stomps you without traps up, just wsg spear them over and over until they realise it won't work and they stop, couple it with decrep+golem slow if it makes a difference to their ias.

I just fraps'd a vid of it on d2pk, i have a really bad fps rate with fraps but I do it consistently in the vid so it definitely shows how you can tell when a wsg spear fires off.

/e one important thing to remember is that sometimes it'll look like your wsg spear fired off but nothing actually comes out (it does the spear animation cancel but it won't hit anything), its more common to see this when you run and wsg spear at the same time. just something to watch out for if you're timing it wrong and you actually end up doing nothing at all. >_>

/e2 it's uploaded, just not processed yet, but I need to go to bed so I'll post the link now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zRg8vvIIF0
[youtube]6zRg8vvIIF0[/youtube]

Up-spear - This is something most necromancers don't use and is hard to tell when it is appropriate but it is still a very handy skill to use. When you think a player has a namelock on you(And they don't do insane instant damage when they land, I.E. hammerdins & BvC's) fire spears north and when they stomp you, your spears should automatically hit them.

Corners - Use your terrain when you need to, things like arrows/traps/mindblast cannot go through walls or corners so it's good to break out of a stun that way. Also the usage of puddles can be useful in certain times(Mentioned in PvP Section)

PvM general tactics - For just about any mob in PvM kill 1-3 monsters with spear and amp the crowd then spam CE. It should clear the screen of monsters.
For bosses cast decrepify if you have it, and just take them down with prison/spear.
If you feel crowded or that you're going to die by taking on a large mob, use bone wall to keep a distance between you and the mobs.
You can even take on ubers if you get a revive white wand and grab a bunch of Udars to revive, the Crushing Blow from them should take them down, although not to many bone necromancers uber solo :P
When you run into magic immune crowds, cast amp before anything so your merc can get a head start on the immunes while you take out the non-immunes, then spam CE and that should take the immunes out. Such as the second baal wave, you will want to kill the skeletons first then cast a lot of CE.

This post was edited by Scaryghoul on Aug 23 2010 06:41pm
Aug 23 2010 06:38pm
6. Class-Specific Dueling
Don't expect to get everything right the first time. Like everything, practice makes perfect. You can't expect to jump right into using a necromancer and be great at it(Some are, but usually those are the more seasoned players that are good on everything). Also note, that not all of these strategies will work vs the different players, everyone plays differently and this is just what I've found to work for me. So don't expect to have these apply to every character you face.

Sorceresses
  • ES variants - These can pose a very tricky problem. ES can absorb a ton of damage, and when the sorc is low on mana, she can simply run and wait for it to all regenerate again. You will want to be extra careful not to take unnecessary damage, because unlike the sorc, you can't recover. Don't be blindly aggressive, but try not to let the sorc get too much space. You will want to try to get a few good locks and kill her quickly. This is a hard duel.
    All variants will require the same basic strategy, which is to teleport strategically around them, spamming spirit here and there. Do not spam teeth against any full ES sorc as their mana regenerates much too fast and you will never kill them with it. Try to get them on the run by spamming spirit where you don't want them to be and then try to get a successful telestomp and run, but don't stay on the run for too long or they will regenerate. Be careful where you teleport as you do not want to get caught in a blizzard or a FB spam. Stacking resistances and sorbing can help dramatically. If you notice her taking 3-6 spirits at once, it is likely you will be able to out tank her spear to fireball, don't try this with a blizz sorc although it would be the time to get a few quick spears off. Some necromancers opt for a weaker spear and go with some poison necromancer gear to get small novas off. This will destroy ES based sorceress'. Walking is a good way to avoid stomps/fireballs, doing this +spear can help chip away at her life.
  • Non-ES Sorcs/Mixed - These can be pretty easy with practise, but the good ones will still give you trouble. You can play offensively by using Teeth to wear them and use the general spam of teeth/spirit to guide them, preferably spam spirit then use teeth to guide them into your spam then telestomp.
Note: It is recommended to try and walk out of a namelock/chainlock if you can't lose them with teleporting.
Note: A lot of these duels tend to last awhile, so having 1k+ mana and decent REP is nice.
Necromancers
  • Bone - This is your mirror match. It's considered BM to use spirit in this duel, but alot of pubs are BM, so you will see others using it anyway. You will need to tele in a circle around your opponent while spamming teeth, and then tele in quickly to spam a few spears and get a lock for a decisive telestomp. First one to get a stomp here usually takes the win. Use the golem stack, if they teleport on you, reteleport on them or try to walk a step or two to avoid a painful spear. This is a fun duel.
  • Poison - This should be a fairly easy match, but watch your step. A single nova can drop your life to 1 in no time flat. They will likely make quick attacks, teleing at you in rapid 'drive-bys', spamming a couple of novas, and getting out again. When you chase them, they will play defensively and spam novas which are very easy to accidentally tele into. Poison Nova is a short-range attack, so use that to your advantage and fire off spears and teeth at a distance. Play offensively, but don't get too close unless you're confident you can finish them off with a telestomp. You can use antidotes if you feel they are being BM. Note: If they manage to kill you while using antidotes you will most likely get NK'd.
  • Summoner - These duels will be pretty hard as they will be on your rear constantly. Because of there minion stack, you will not be able to kill the necro until his army is dead. So just keep spamming spear and running, etc. Teeth won't kill these summons at an appreciable rate, so play defensively.
Note: It is recommended to try and walk out of a namelock/chainlock if you can't lose them with teleporting.
Druid
  • Wind - These duels can be easy or hard depending on the player. Generally, spam teeth to knock out there summons, if they're good they will run and resummon; as they do, chase them and telestomp. If they don't run then just telestomp and spear. This is one duel where walking can be effective. The druid will undoubtedly try to telestomp you, and when he does, you can walk away and spear behind you. The rationale for this is to be able to get off some shots without having to wait for your tele animation to finish. Slap on a Ravenfrost (for the CBF) so you can't be chilled by hurricane if you are going to walk. If they use a bear don't bother with teeth as it will do no effect. Walk/spear is the main idea here. Also on a side note, similar to upcharge/spear they can up-nado, which will kill you most of the time if you get caught in a good upnado. Most druids don't do this when they flee to recast so don't worry.
  • Fire - These should be pretty easy. As with windys, use teeth to take out their minions and lock them down. Beware, as both fissure and armageddon can do serious damage if you aren't careful. Watch where you tele so that you don't land on a well-placed fissure and you should be fine.
  • Shamans - These can be a surprise if you've never faced them but after awhile they can get fairly easy(Sorry nick). If you slap on hotspurs then they have absolutely no chance of winning. Don't use teeth here as they have a very buffed up bear to take the hits. You can play this one of two ways, you can sit around walking out of fissures/volcanos and spamming spirit or you can have some fun and play offensively with spear. They will try to lock you with volcano, which will throw you into FHR. They will count on putting you into blocklock with volcano, which indeed hurts.
  • Melee - These should be a piece of cake. They are notoriously good tanks, but they are easy to avoid. Spam spirits and tele around them and keep spamming and running. Bone Prison is your friend if you want to be cruel in this duel, because they have to switch to human form to teleport (if they use Enigma). Be aware of them desyncing, some may load a lot of FRW scs and may not be where you think they are.
    On a side note: Rabies druids can hurt a lot, if they hit your golem, rabies spreads to you as well if you don't unsummon quickly. So if your golem gets hit by a rabies recast him.
Amazons
  • Bowazons - These can be pesky, but usually pretty easy. Just teleport in a circle around them to throw off the guided arrows and close in quickly with a few spears and play hit and run or prison them and tele directly on top of them. There is a bug where if you're directly on them, their arrows cannot hit you, so spam spear as fast as you can before they move. They usually have about 150 frw which allows them to desync so you cannot see there actual location. Spam a few spirits torwards them and follow them and stomp her a few times with spear then repeat.
    Use bone wall if you need to get something to tank some arrows upon your approach. If you can stomp her with golem up to completely destroy her IAS. Don't try to play this defensive, play very aggresive but don't play careless, or else you may end up losing a big chunk of your life getting stuck in multi arrow. Usually GA is easy to avoid, but good zons will usually multi arrow in the direction you're in, you can fight back with teeth & spirits from a distance but don't expect them to get the kill for you. Also spear fires much faster and if you get a good lock/stomp they should go into dodge animation until you kill them. Using a wall to excape arrows is adviced if you need a second to resummon or just need a moment. If they end up firing strafe at you, try to walk it if you are non-block or else you will take a good chunk out of your life before the duel even starts.

• Javazons - Usually pretty easy. Just avoid them and spam spirit in their direction. Try to stay some distance away, because Charged Strike hurts. It won't take many to bring you down. Watch out for desynch too, as javazons move quite quickly. Dodge the Lightning Fury and spirit/spear them down. If they teleport, be careful not to get caught out by a surprise tele/CS combo.
    Good ones can be a slight surprise as they are rare, but alas you are much faster than them and have a homing missile. Use it ^^.
    Again like bowazons, javeaons get stuck in dodge animation very easily as well.
Paladins
  • Hammerdins - This duel can be quite difficult if they desynch much. Try to stay on the move and avoid going near where you saw them last. Most hdins have a pattern in which they lay their hammers, so watch careful and learn it if you can, spaming spirit where you think they're going. A well-timed prison can mess up their timing and give you a chance do some damage with spear. NEVER telestomp, as their damage is extremely high. Rinse, repeat, etc. The usage of bone walls here is good, if you place bone walls all over the place(not in a fort, that makes you an easy target) it will break their sync and it should be easy from there on out. If you so happen to feel the urge to stomp a hammerdin, aim for the lower right, this is a common blindspot for hammers meaning you will not get hit.
  • FoH - These duels should be fairly easy. Throw up bonewalls near them to draw their FoH and keep a golem up. Prison them and telestomp quickly in for the kill, or you can be more cautious and progress towards them slowly, using your walls for safety. If you stack and use bone walls they stand absolutely no chance.
  • Smiters - Use a method of hit and run here. Spam a few spirits and prison them to break their desynch. A nice method is to spam spirits near them then follow the spirits, then prisoning the smiter so they hit the train. They can also BM with life tap, so if they do that, don't prison them and don't resummon your golem
    because they can heal from it. They will desynch very often and try to charge you by surprise, so be careful.
    You can also abuse walking vs. smiters who do nothing but telesmite.
    The good smiters will use a variation of charge/telesmite. You will want to keep a lot of bone walls up to break their sync and spam spirits where you think they're coming from.
  • Chargers - Don't get hit! Try to prison them and then use spirits. Try to maintain a spirit field for protection, as if they hit you even once, it could mean instant death. Sometimes you can do another method of bonewalling all around yourself and wait till you see him or firestorm from a torch hit your walls and then Iron maidon them/prison stomp and spam spear.
    Note: Chargers need to be in motion to actually hit you, so BP can stop them in their tracks. Beware most have a strong smite for when they are still.
    Bone wall pretty much destroys this class.
  • V/T - This will be very difficult, as many hybrid builds are. Try to always keep walls and your golem up so their FoH can't hit you and to block their charges so you can maintain a range, making it difficult for them to smite you. Then spam a few spirits at them, and spears if you break their desynch.

Note on paladins as a class: Some of the better ones know of something called up-charge, there is no real counter for this other than not to namelock the ones that know how to do it or else you are in for a world of pain. Up charge works just like upspear but with A LOT more damage.
    Also vs desyncing paladins if you can't abuse bonewall or don't feel like it, standing around/in puddles can help break their sync.

Assassins
  • Ghosts - These will be extremely hard and fun. You must play very defensively, as there fire traps/mb can stun you into oblivion, opening you up for a painful whirl. Stay away from them and pelt them with calculated spam, and you should have a decent chance. Never telestomp, as they will have you stunned and immobilized before you can get your attack off.
    Good ghost assassin's will most likely destroy you, especially if you have no block on. Block is suggested for this duel. This is a duel that takes a lot of practice.
  • Trappers - Fire and light trappers are almost the same. Just stay away from the traps and don't run carelessly in for a kill. If they camp, just lob spirits at them from a distance. Good trappers can be quite tricky, as they will play offensively and stun you with Mind Blast. Play defensively and avoid being locked. Try to control their movements with spirits. When they get too close, fire a couple of spears at where you think they will land next and then tele away. Most will always get you in multiple locks, use WSG to walk out of traps and teleport away. Usage of WSG spear can also be fun to use, although don't overdo it with wsg spear and try to fight the entire battle with it as you will die.
  • Hybrids - Same as ghost but they have weaker WW and stronger light traps. Mix strategies for the ghosts and trappers here.
    Note: For assassins in general, using corners can be good to excape a mindblast stun or to block traps.
    You can walk fireblast, also if an assassin comes at you with no traps get a quick stomp in since your bone armor/DR> mindblast.

Barbarians
  • BvC - These can be fairly easy to nearly impossible. The good ones will use leap to knock you back and disrupt your timing. Then, they'll tele beside you and do a tight whirl that will put you into FHR lock, which can be tough to escape. Without block, they will hurt very badly. Play extremely defensively and try to pick them off with spirits and spears at a distance. Beware of unsummon namelocks; if you see the barb standing still on the map, he may have a namelock on you and will probably surprise you with a tele/whirl. Get him off your map ASAP to break the lock. Don't bother using BW/BP, as they can just teleport out of it. Iron Maiden coupled with BW/BP could be useful if you're not playing GM. Decrepify is also a nice curse to use on them if you want. It is acceptable to use BP on barbs to an extent if they are running/walking from a large number of spirits. Decrepify/prison them. It's nice to abuse it when they are on low life.
    If you are a more experienced dueler, it would be advised to prison the barb mid whirl or just before and spear him a few times, to get used to this you can play with bone walls which have the same absorbing affect on barbs. Beware, good barbs will telezerk you if you are camping in bonewalls or are prisoning him. Most pub barbs will just try to whirl through the bone walls/prisons and die from your spam. Also pay attention at all times, these are the types of characters that deal insane damage quickly, if they get a lock and you get caught in a tight tri-whirl it is likely you will die without block/50% DR.
    Block pretty much makes this easier than it should be, you could practically sit still in a bw fort and spam spirits at them.
    The bad barbs won't leap, and their whirls will be long and sloppy. You can kill them however you like.
    152 FHR makes their leap a joke.
  • War Cry - Stay on the run so they can't get too close for the attack and spam spirit/spear. Unless you're careless, you should be fine. Your armor will take a fair bit of damage and you can block their cries, so you shouldn't have much to worry about.
Team Duels

Necromancers are great in team duels. Just avoid the characters you're not good against and let your team take care of it. Single out your opponents. Also, use Amplify Damage to help your teammates if they have physical attacks. Lots of spirits are nice here. Don't get brave and try to take kills for yourself unless you know you can do it without taking much damage. Your main role in TvT is amplify damage & long range missiles(Spirit). You should be one of the last ones to survive assuming you don't get aggresive or singled out. Also if you see a barb, and it is gm on your realm, bone prison him so he does little to no damage. This will allow other team mates to kill. If you notice a trap teamate has another player in a stun emphasize on the moment and take them out before they can get out of the stun, a thing that can help this is if you bone prison them they can no longer WSG out of the stun.
Another main role of a necromancer in TvT is taking out the amazon if there is one(A place where max block is handy). Never forget amplify damage, also if you have lower resist and less characters that benifit from amp then use lower resist, it will really make your elemental allies pack a larger punch.
A good TvT guide by Tienje(Jsp version posted by soccergoal10)
http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=47243857&f=87

Note
  • Try to utilize your skills as much as possible and mix things up. Necromancers come with a huge arsenal of skills, so use them!
  • In NvN only spear is allowed in Euro/Asia realms
  • Other realms most of the time just Spirit is BM.
  • Decrepify is BM on most realms. If not BM or your in pub use on most melee characters to your choosing as it is very effective.
  • If you're unsure of how to do something, or want to see some pvp video's to get a feel of how to play/things to try, search youtube, you can find most anything there.
  • Don't give up a good lock, it can shift the favour of the duel.
  • Good spear necromancers > spirit necromancers, also it's a lot more fun to play with mostly just spear.

This post was edited by Scaryghoul on Aug 23 2010 06:42pm
Gold: 575.00
Aug 23 2010 06:38pm
Is this your final variant? Because I don't have the time to go over it yet lol @@
Aug 23 2010 06:40pm
7. My necromancer
Name: Excavated
Level 92 Necromancer, east softcore non-ladder

NvA - Until I get a 2/20/life/res amulet or storm circ
Major Stats:
  • 3519 life/1005 mana (level 19 BO)
  • 4.7k Spear
  • 4.8k Spirit
  • 1.2k Teeth
  • Stacked hell resistances
  • 31% damage reduction
  • 125 FCR
  • 86 FHR
Setup
  • CoA(Ber & 7fhr/10resist/-15%req)
  • Enigma
  • Maras
  • Wizzy(7fhr/10res/-15% req)
  • 35 FCR Spirit
  • Arach
  • Trangs
  • 1BK/1Soj
  • Waterwalks
ScreenShot

Same setup as above but using blood boots(I gain rep! Yay.)

NvN(86)
Major Stats:
  • 3434 life/738 mana (level 17 BO)
  • 6k Spear
  • 5.5k Spirit
  • 1.3k Teeth
  • 125 FCR
  • 86 FHR
Setup
  • 2/20/36life/40mana circ(Shaeled)
  • Enigma
  • Maras
  • 8spear/6spirit white wand
  • 35 FCR Spirit
  • Arach
  • Trangs
  • 1BK/Fcr ring
  • Waterwalks
  • 1x 12fhr gc
ScreenShot

NvN(152)
Major Stats:
  • 3439 life/1047 mana (level 18BO)
  • 5.2k Spear
  • 5.2k Spirit
  • 1.3k Teeth
  • 125 FCR
  • 152 FHR
Setup
  • 2/20/36life/40mana circ(Shaeled)
  • Enigma
  • Maras
  • 35 Spirit CS
  • 35 FCR Spirit
  • Arach
  • Trangs
  • 1BK/Soj
  • Waterwalks
  • 1x 12fhr gc & 2x fhr scs
ScreenShot
http://i34.tinypic.com/331kom0.png

Block
Major Stats:
  • 3029 life/660 mana (level 14BO)
  • 4.5k Spear
  • 4.7k Spirit
  • 1.1k Teeth
  • 56% block
  • 43% DR
  • 125 FCR
  • 86 FHR
Setup
  • 2/20/20dex/36Light resist circ(Shaeled)
  • Enigma
  • 2/10/17dex/3life rep/31mana amulet
  • 35 Spirit CS
  • Eld stormshield
  • Arach
  • Trangs
  • 10fcr/119ar/15dex/4life/7resist all&17light resist & 10fcr/41ar/2strength/15dex/11all resistances
  • Shadow dancers
  • 1x 12fhr gc
ScreenShot
http://i34.tinypic.com/1zzru2t.png

8. My old Necromancer
Name: iMaxedAmp
Lvl 97 Necromancer

NvA
Major Stats:
  • 3873 life/1167 mana (level 16 BO)
  • 4.7k Spear
  • 4.8k Spirit
  • 1.2k Teeth
  • Stacked hell resistances
  • 46% damage reduction
  • 125 FCR
  • 86 FHR
Setup
  • CoA
  • Enigma
  • 2/20 necro ammy
  • Wizzy
  • 35 FCR Spirit
  • Dungoes
  • Trangs
  • 2x BKs
  • Treks
ScreenShot
http://i28.tinypic.com/msbnlf.jpg

NvA
Major Stats:
  • 4009 life/1261 mana (level 19 BO)
  • 5.4k Spear
  • 5.3k Spirit
  • 1.3k Teeth
  • Max hell resistances
  • 125 FCR
  • 18% damage reduction
  • 86 FHR
Setup
  • Shako
  • Enigma
  • Mara's
  • Hoto
  • 35 FCR Spirit
  • Arach
  • Trangs
  • 1x BK/1x rare resist ring
  • Treks
ScreenShot
http://i32.tinypic.com/25q6luh.jpg

NvN, 152 FHR
Major Stats:
  • 3835 life/1241 mana (level 15 BO)
  • 6.2k Spear
  • 5.7k Spirit
  • 1.3k Teeth
  • Non-maxed hell resistances
  • 125 FCR
  • 8% damage reduction
  • 152 FHR
Setup
  • 2/20/40 circ
  • Enigma
  • 2/20 ammy
  • White wand
  • 35 FCR Spirit
  • Arach
  • Bloodfist
  • 1x BK/1x rare FCR ring
  • 1x FHR PnB GC
  • Treks
ScreenShot
http://i30.tinypic.com/24deps2.jpg

9. Special Thanks
  • Ghooble - I can't think of a thing you haven't helped me with in the last few years. Although you'll never read this, thanks a lot =D
  • Evicted - Nick we haven't talked in a really long time and probably won't again but you got me going in the right direction for PvP.
  • Koi93 - Will, it's been awhile as well but you helped a lot and were a good west friend so I figured I'd add you in here to :P for all those hours of practice.
  • AjtAlex - ^_^
  • CompanyOfThree - Nick,Helping getting me started on east, good guildy :) Also for the endless hours of Necro vs Shaman.
  • Drt1245 - Damon - You did me well by slamming my ego into oblivion and helping me get started on east ^_^. Btw thanks for the bo barb xD
  • Soccergoal10 - Greg, oh geeze, helping me getting started on east ect, also getting better at NvTrapper because of you :) Not to mention the huge contribution to the guide. Thanks =D Thanks for the distraction by the way XD
  • TailsChao - Alex you've helped a lot in many ways without knowing it, not to mention you teaching me how to WSG spear. Also helped me get started on east.
  • Aube - Babe, just for being a bacon irl and all the duels, also helped me get started on east as well. Also sold me my last pnb lifers
  • Ashwinthegrim - Sirius, oh goodness. You gave me so much necromancer gear on east and helped me get started A LOT on east. Not to mention the entire ghost you gave me. Thanks for the distraction as well ^_^
  • BillyGnosis - Ska, you've helped me a lot on east ,especially getting started. Insisting on giving me rushes, being on at absurd times of night ^_^ all of the duels. Not to mention the donations to help my necro
  • Tinhajj - Vj, well you also helped chip of the rust from my necromancer, you nick & I taking on countless pubs ^_^ Team SnG ftw. Also helping me getting started on east along with a lot of crushes
  • Atroce - Umut you helped me get most of the friends I have now by started the guild. Thanks a lot :) I probably wouldn't still be here if it was for you.
  • TheBe - Teemu ^_^ I know you didn't directly help my necromancer much but you belong in here for all the good times we've had.
  • Eywa - Eric....well you just put up with my endless questions awhile ago and teaching me a lot of d2 mechanics. Thanks ofc :P
  • Synonym - Lee you helped a lot as well xD Jesus these credits are getting long, you helped me get started on east as well as donated to me several times(Because I got scammed for being overly trusting ^_^)
  • Tudey - Again you helped a lot through all the guide revisions, also for the DvN duels on east. Thanks for raping my ego.
  • Darkkobra - For the lulz
  • Master_Zappy - Sara you helped a lot from chipping away the rust, getting me started on east and starting me on EastHcL.
  • JayPee- You helped my necro by paying for his waterwalks ^^ and also all the TvT's & NvBarb.
  • Azn Masta - Quoted you in my guide
  • Amazon basin - For throwing a truckload of knowledge at me.
  • All of SnG & SnG team - Well I wouldn't be around if you all weren't still active.
Thanks to you all for making D2/Jsp an enjoyable place. If I forgot anyone I'm sorry but this list was getting long enough, though feel free to yell at me if I didn't mention you.
Please leave comments/suggestions/questions. Thanks for reading.

10. Useful links
Other necromancer guides worth the read.
http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=43253473&f=87
http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=19589403&f=87

This post was edited by Scaryghoul on Aug 23 2010 06:47pm
Gold: 0.00
Aug 23 2010 06:43pm
Quote (Tails chao @ Aug 23 2010 08:38pm)
Is this your final variant? Because I don't have the time to go over it yet lol @@

Lol you look like a jackass now. XD.

Na but it'll take me a while to read this one O_o, you went overboard.

Quote (CompanyOfThree @ Aug 23 2010 08:43pm)

e: fawwwwwwwwk!!!

I can troll this forum way bettur den u.

This post was edited by tinhajj on Aug 23 2010 06:44pm
Gold: 27.00
Warn: 10%
Aug 23 2010 06:43pm

This post was edited by CompanyOfThree on Aug 23 2010 06:44pm
Aug 23 2010 06:46pm
Quote (Tails chao @ Aug 23 2010 08:38pm)

Possibly. Unless I find a way to make it better, then I'll share my findings with everyone of course. Although I think this guide meets the overall aim.
Btw thanks for posting in between sections :zzz:

Quote (tinhajj @ Aug 23 2010 08:43pm)
Lol you look like a jackass now. XD.

Na but it'll take me a while to read this one O_o, you went overboard.

I can troll this forum way bettur den u.

Ty ^_^

Quote (CompanyOfThree @ Aug 23 2010 08:43pm)

Ty.
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
12314Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll