d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1200120022003200420052039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Apr 2 2017 07:32am
Quote (Excusemem8 @ Apr 1 2017 12:48pm)
Raylads,

It's me, checking in again with a doozy.

What's your opinion on removing a lift from your program in order to desensitize yourself to that movement, then when you reintroduce it a month or so later you will start to see see gains again and achieve a net increase in strength after a while

This is strictly regarding strength.

There are a few conflicting principles - SAID principle in laymans terms is you getter better at what you do. Do more squats to get better at squats. You also have the repeated bout effect in that the more you squat, the less stimulus each subsequent squat will have - similar to diminishing returns

If you stopped making gains on 1 x week squatting you should move to 2, then 3, then 4 etc. Olympic lifters have body's that have adapted to 7 day training, often 2 x a day

This kind of compounding of training isn't viable for most people, and have the limitations of 1-2 hours 3-4 x week.

I'm not at the stage where I'm considering dropping squat out of my program, for a few reasons, the main one being I'd likely regress too far from a skill, neurological and strength standpoint that I probably wouldn't end up with a net increase in strength compared to if I had just stuck to it

My question is guess is have you heard of this, and do you think it's viable for a high level lifter? The squat would be replaced with a. Different, but similar movement, like the front squat. Ignore the fact that running a cycle with front squat will have its own benefits towards your back squat strength

This actually DOES work for quite a few higher level power lifters. Besides a total de-load, you can sub out traditional squats with something like a plate loaded leg press, front squat, or hack squat. The method to use would probably be, 1 week de-load, followed by subbing out the exercise entirely for a period of time to be determined by your goals. Assuming you sub it out for 3-4 weeks after the 1 week de-load, you could expect to return to this exercise with equal or greater strength and increasing gains over the next course of that exercise.

The alternative is to do overloads, breakdowns, double-breakdowns, negative reps, etc. with the particular exercise you are trying to improve. This can also stimulate growth and enhance overall gains during regular training after the initial 3-4 weeks of hyperintensity.
Gold: 361.00
Apr 2 2017 06:44pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Apr 2 2017 05:32am)
This actually DOES work for quite a few higher level power lifters. Besides a total de-load, you can sub out traditional squats with something like a plate loaded leg press, front squat, or hack squat. The method to use would probably be, 1 week de-load, followed by subbing out the exercise entirely for a period of time to be determined by your goals. Assuming you sub it out for 3-4 weeks after the 1 week de-load, you could expect to return to this exercise with equal or greater strength and increasing gains over the next course of that exercise.

The alternative is to do overloads, breakdowns, double-breakdowns, negative reps, etc. with the particular exercise you are trying to improve. This can also stimulate growth and enhance overall gains during regular training after the initial 3-4 weeks of hyperintensity.

Thanks for taking the time. It seems a little counter intuitive to stop doing what you're trying to get better at but i understand how it can work. What are breakdowns and double breakdowns?
Apr 6 2017 12:18pm
Quote (Excusemem8 @ Apr 2 2017 08:44pm)
Thanks for taking the time. It seems a little counter intuitive to stop doing what you're trying to get better at but i understand how it can work. What are breakdowns and double breakdowns?

A breakdown is:

Set 1 - Warmup
Set 2 - Heavy weight (4-6 reps max exertion)
10 seconds rest
Set 2 - Medium weight (8-10 reps max exertion)
10 seconds rest
Set 3 - Light weight (12-15 reps max exertion)

Double breakdown is:

Set 1 - light weight (12-15 reps)
1 minute rest
Set 2 - medium weight (8-10 reps)
2 minutes rest
Set 3 - heavy weight (4-6 reps)
10 seconds rest
Set 4 - medium weight (until failure)
10 seconds rest
Set 5 - light weight (until failure)
Gold: 361.00
Apr 6 2017 07:50pm
^ oh fuk that, sounds exhausting

Also im a strong believer in phase potentiation, rather than super DUP style
Gold: 3,804.50
Apr 15 2017 05:30pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Mar 5 2017 11:27pm)
Try Kiss My Face sensitive - its similar to sensodyne (potassium nitrate which desensitizes the teeth), but lacks the chemicals found in typical toothpastes.

it worked great. if i wanna keep using sensitive teeth toothpaste, how often should i use it? i brush twice a day; should i use it once a day and use baking soda peroxide once a day?
Apr 18 2017 04:02pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Apr 15 2017 07:30pm)
it worked great. if i wanna keep using sensitive teeth toothpaste, how often should i use it? i brush twice a day; should i use it once a day and use baking soda peroxide once a day?

You can use it both times without any issue.
Gold: 45.00
Apr 19 2017 04:42am
Big guy looking to get cut

350~ 6 foot
I want to sculpt my body, aquite a novice to this so if you can pretend im like a 16 yr old female hitting the gym for the first time, ive donw the whole gym thing before but w.o guidennce after cutting 50 lbs i gained it back the second i quit going, quit cuz got bored, results slowed down due to same old workouts etc
Apr 20 2017 02:50pm
Quote (southpark247 @ Apr 19 2017 06:42am)
Big guy looking to get cut

350~ 6 foot
I want to sculpt my body, aquite a novice to this so if you can pretend im like a 16 yr old female hitting the gym for the first time, ive donw the whole gym thing before but w.o guidennce after cutting 50 lbs i gained it back the second i quit going, quit cuz got bored, results slowed down due to same old workouts etc

Start here:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=335587138
Fat loss 15 tips

Then run this plan:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=379997654
4 day upper/lower split for beginners or maintenance

For about 4 weeks, with any of these diet plans:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=480863341
Cutting diets for 2,000-2,500 cals

After 4 weeks, come back to me and we will re-assess and make you a plan for your exact needs.
Gold: 2,118.35
Apr 22 2017 06:02am
Hey Raynor, just read your "15 fat loss tips" link and I've got a couple questions about a few of them.

You say to eat every 2-3 hours without fail - i assume you've heard of Intermittent Fasting, what are your thoughts on that protocol instead?

For #7, you say not to consume carbs in the last 3 meals of the day - is this to use fat as the primary food source? If so, wouldn't it just come back to your first tip of energy in vs energy out?

For #9, how beneficial is cardio in a cut? Absolutely necessary? Or only once you hit very low calories? I'm currently cutting and at low-moderate calories and don't do any cardio. I always feel better after doing it but from what I've read it seems to just purely be a means of burning calories which comes back to your point #1 again.

Lastly, through what means do fat loss supplements work? do they just help burn calories?

Cheers Raynor look forward to hearing from you mate
Apr 22 2017 01:22pm
Quote (Lil_Gueto @ Apr 22 2017 08:02am)
Hey Raynor, just read your "15 fat loss tips" link and I've got a couple questions about a few of them.

You say to eat every 2-3 hours without fail - i assume you've heard of Intermittent Fasting, what are your thoughts on that protocol instead?

For #7, you say not to consume carbs in the last 3 meals of the day - is this to use fat as the primary food source? If so, wouldn't it just come back to your first tip of energy in vs energy out?

For #9, how beneficial is cardio in a cut? Absolutely necessary? Or only once you hit very low calories? I'm currently cutting and at low-moderate calories and don't do any cardio. I always feel better after doing it but from what I've read it seems to just purely be a means of burning calories which comes back to your point #1 again.

Lastly, through what means do fat loss supplements work? do they just help burn calories?

Cheers Raynor look forward to hearing from you mate

Intermittent fasting can be good for some, but requires MUCH more discipline. However, when used correctly, it can be very good:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=441835650
2,200 cals split into 3 meals for IF (Intermittent Fasting)

To maximize the benefit of fat loss, reducing carbs in general can force the body to use fat as energy in lieu of glycogen. Especially after the fast (during the night) followed by exercise in the morning, glycogen is depleted tremendously and thus low/no carb meals at the beginning of the day is almost a form of ketosis, which improves fat losses overall.

Cardio unto itself is not "necessary", but rather optional and additional. You need calorie burning, PERIOD. That means weight lifting, cardio, whatever. However, 60 minutes of sustained cardio, vs 60 minutes of weight lifting (converts into much less based on the rest between sets), means that the cardio typically burns more calories per actual hour of time. Remember, in 60 minutes, you MAY actually be doing around 20 minutes of physical exercise when strictly doing traditional weight lifting. If you do a cardio paced weight lifting, you are still around 30-40 minutes per actual hour. The cardio at the end of a workout serves to add more caloric burn to an already glycogen depleted environment, encouraging fat loss.

"fat burning" supplements are typically stimulants that will increase metabolism and thus increase caloric burn. Your heartrate will increase and simulate mild cardio, while appetite generally decreases. Certain supplements also have herbal components that have a positive effect on the endocrine system and ultimately improve fat loss.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1200120022003200420052039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll