d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1186818691870187118722039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Dec 14 2014 10:52pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Dec 14 2014 11:10pm)
Are you sure it's splints? "locking up" is not usually a symptom of splints. Splints are usually just pain and tenderness from running, which can be caused by either microscopic stress fractures, such as the shin bones to micro-fragmenting under the constant force of striking the ground, OR simply excessive trauma to the muscular connective tissue around the Tibia.

Assuming it's muscular pain, or stress-fracture induced pain, you are in luck...because the solution is very easy.

First of all, wrap the shins in a good quality compression sleeve. Amazon has a bunch of great shin-split compression sleeves. You can also try Sports Authority, Dicks Sporting Goods, or other retailers.

For now, take a few days off, rest the area, and ice as necessary. When you go back, use the sleeves. After using the sleeves for a few weeks of running, you can gradually leave yourself off of them, allowing the shins to accommodate to the trauma/stress from running. Eventually you will gain the necessary strength to avoid splits ever again.

I think i may have compartment syndrome, will the compression sleeves help in this case?
Dec 15 2014 11:56am
Hola,

Thank you for taking the time to help so many people on here. I hope you can help guide me as well.

About me: I'm a bit over 5'7 and only 135lbs. I have never been over 140 lbs in my life. I started eating somewhat healthy 2-3 years ago, but even when I ate a bunch of snacks and whatever the hell I wanted I never gained weight. I've also went through a period where I did a lot of p90/t25/insanity over the course of the last two years, constantly consuming protein (quite haphazardly, most likely) and not gaining weight.

I've never really worked out for gainz. I play squash now and that's about it, along with some cardio on ellipticals. I occasionally try out some weight machines, but I always figure I'm doing it wrong or working muscle groups on the same day that shouldn't be worked on the same day, and I figure I shouldn't bother.

I also have two very, very bad shoulders (both have dislocated recently, though at separate times thank god). I kept them each in slings as long as I was instructed to, and I also went to PT for months after each incident, as prescribed by my doctor. However, they still have severe limitations. Neither shoulder has ever properly healed, though when I've had doctor's look at them they say they've healed as well as they should have without surgery.

I have virtually no knowledge on proper thinking/technique/etc. I'm not looking to become huge like you or noun, but I could certainly set aside 90 minutes every day to work out in an optimum fashion. I also enjoy cooking, and I have a girlfriend who greatly enjoys cooking, so the food aspect is most certainly doable. Also, my gym has virtually every type of machine on the market (it's a LifeTime fitness), so I don't think that would be a constraint. Could you please provide me with some guidance on how to properly gain weight/muscle? A 6 pack wouldn't hurt, either. I tried for one when I was in high school (again I'm sure it was in a terrible fashion) and never got it - it would be cool to achieve one now.
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Dec 17 2014 11:00pm
Quote (Noun @ Dec 15 2014 12:52am)
I think i may have compartment syndrome, will the compression sleeves help in this case?

Yes! Compression sleeves can actually help in this case as well.
Dec 17 2014 11:07pm
Quote (18_1 @ Dec 15 2014 01:56pm)
Hola,

Thank you for taking the time to help so many people on here. I hope you can help guide me as well.

About me: I'm a bit over 5'7 and only 135lbs. I have never been over 140 lbs in my life. I started eating somewhat healthy 2-3 years ago, but even when I ate a bunch of snacks and whatever the hell I wanted I never gained weight. I've also went through a period where I did a lot of p90/t25/insanity over the course of the last two years, constantly consuming protein (quite haphazardly, most likely) and not gaining weight.

I've never really worked out for gainz. I play squash now and that's about it, along with some cardio on ellipticals. I occasionally try out some weight machines, but I always figure I'm doing it wrong or working muscle groups on the same day that shouldn't be worked on the same day, and I figure I shouldn't bother.

I also have two very, very bad shoulders (both have dislocated recently, though at separate times thank god). I kept them each in slings as long as I was instructed to, and I also went to PT for months after each incident, as prescribed by my doctor. However, they still have severe limitations. Neither shoulder has ever properly healed, though when I've had doctor's look at them they say they've healed as well as they should have without surgery.

I have virtually no knowledge on proper thinking/technique/etc. I'm not looking to become huge like you or noun, but I could certainly set aside 90 minutes every day to work out in an optimum fashion. I also enjoy cooking, and I have a girlfriend who greatly enjoys cooking, so the food aspect is most certainly doable. Also, my gym has virtually every type of machine on the market (it's a LifeTime fitness), so I don't think that would be a constraint. Could you please provide me with some guidance on how to properly gain weight/muscle? A 6 pack wouldn't hurt, either. I tried for one when I was in high school (again I'm sure it was in a terrible fashion) and never got it - it would be cool to achieve one now.

Good evening.

I would be glad to help you.

Just to set thing straight, your goals right now are to gain substantial lean muscle mass, correct?

If so, I can definitely put you on an appropriate plan to assist you.

You will need to set aside at least 4-5 days a week at the gym and follow the below plan:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=345300636
5x5 plan

The 5x5 plan is the best overall plan for building strength and size. Once you have a good platform established, you will easily be able to make further gains through different plans.

In addition, you will want to start with this diet:

4,000 calories (bulking)

Meal 1 - 1 cup organic greek yogurt (any flavor), 1 power crunch bar (vitamin shoppe or bodybuilding.com for these), 1 fruit (apple/banana/etc) (approximately 500 calories)
Meal 2 - 6 whole eggs (any style) + 4 strips low sodium bacon + 2 slices whole grain bread w/ cream cheese or butter (approximately 800 calories)
Meal 3 - 6 oz chicken breast w/ 2 tbsp olive oil + 2 cups brown rice + 1 cup black beans + large serving of veggies (non starch) + 2 oz cheese (approximately 900 calories)
Meal 4 - 6 oz ground beef + 1 cup organic tomato sauce + 1 large serving of whole grain pasta (about 4 cups cooked) + 2 oz cheese (approximately 1,000 calories)
Meal 5 - (PWO) - 50g protein shake + 1 banana + 1tbsp peanut butter + 1 tsp jelly + 2 slices whole grain toast - (approximately 500 calories)
Meal 6 - (pre-bedtime) - 1 cup cottage cheese + mixed nuts + mixed berries (approximately 300 calories)

You can make adjustments accordingly, but leave the macros the same.

Example, if you wanted to substitute 6 oz of chicken with something else, you would choose another lean meat, such as lean beef, turkey, pork, fish, etc, in the same volume (6-8 oz).

If you wanted to replace 2 slices of whole grain bread, you could use 1 cup of oatmeal w/ 1 tbsp of honey.

In other words, replace carbs with carbs, fats with fats, and proteins with proteins, to keep the macros the same if you modify the plan.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 4.79
Dec 18 2014 08:08am
Hey Ray, it's been a long time.

Quick question: is there any possible correlation between the use of creatine and hair loss? or is some of this blabber just bullcrap to scare naive readers?
Dec 18 2014 11:54am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Dec 18 2014 12:07am)
Good evening.

I would be glad to help you.

Just to set thing straight, your goals right now are to gain substantial lean muscle mass, correct?

If so, I can definitely put you on an appropriate plan to assist you.

You will need to set aside at least 4-5 days a week at the gym and follow the below plan:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=345300636
5x5 plan

The 5x5 plan is the best overall plan for building strength and size. Once you have a good platform established, you will easily be able to make further gains through different plans.

In addition, you will want to start with this diet:

4,000 calories (bulking)

Meal 1 - 1 cup organic greek yogurt (any flavor), 1 power crunch bar (vitamin shoppe or bodybuilding.com for these), 1 fruit (apple/banana/etc) (approximately 500 calories)
Meal 2 - 6 whole eggs (any style) + 4 strips low sodium bacon + 2 slices whole grain bread w/ cream cheese or butter (approximately 800 calories)
Meal 3 - 6 oz chicken breast w/ 2 tbsp olive oil + 2 cups brown rice + 1 cup black beans + large serving of veggies (non starch) + 2 oz cheese (approximately 900 calories)
Meal 4 - 6 oz ground beef + 1 cup organic tomato sauce + 1 large serving of whole grain pasta (about 4 cups cooked) + 2 oz cheese (approximately 1,000 calories)
Meal 5 - (PWO) - 50g protein shake + 1 banana + 1tbsp peanut butter + 1 tsp jelly + 2 slices whole grain toast - (approximately 500 calories)
Meal 6 - (pre-bedtime) - 1 cup cottage cheese + mixed nuts + mixed berries (approximately 300 calories)

You can make adjustments accordingly, but leave the macros the same.

Example, if you wanted to substitute 6 oz of chicken with something else, you would choose another lean meat, such as lean beef, turkey, pork, fish, etc, in the same volume (6-8 oz).

If you wanted to replace 2 slices of whole grain bread, you could use 1 cup of oatmeal w/ 1 tbsp of honey.

In other words, replace carbs with carbs, fats with fats, and proteins with proteins, to keep the macros the same if you modify the plan.

Thank you very much! I have just a few questions based on this routine:

Is it flexible enough that I can work out in the morning rather than after meal 4, and if so, what should I eat before working out in the morning?

Do you abide by the saying never work out within an hour of eating? I pretty much have to eat first thing in the morning (I often wake up early in the morning with my stomach upset because it wants food), but there are some days where my nights are unavailable and the morning would make the most sense to work out. That being said, I would prefer to not have to wait an hour after eating to work out (but that's what I've always heard you should do). Is that why you have a pre-bedtime meal/would that be sufficient to work out first thing in the morning without eating ahead of working out?

I can keep to this meal plan for the next few weeks, but once my school semester starts back up in mid January I will not have the same flexibility to prepare food that I do right now. My schedule will be pretty strict on M/W, as I work from 8:30am-4:30pm, and I can't cook during that time. I can still work out at night, but my meals would probably have to be adjusted. Do you have any recommendations on how I should sub things out during that 8 hour stretch?

Thank you again - this is very much appreciated!
Gold: 642.00
Dec 18 2014 07:56pm
Hey dude, I'm looking to start losing weight and building muscle, I heard compound exercises are great for this. I'm 5' 9" 230. I've gradually changed my diet to aid in the weight loss. It consists mostly of chicken, spring mix, spinach, rice, and salmon. Do you have any tips?

Also, my friend is 145 5'9". He's looking to start bulking. We've checked out your 5x5 workout. This will be his best bet I assume? Just confirming.

Thanks for the help!
- Mike

This post was edited by icedrag on Dec 18 2014 07:56pm
Gold: 478.51
Dec 20 2014 03:26pm
Hey there how are you?

I am coming off an partial tear to the planta fascia. Next week I'm going to start going on walks and work my way up to running 8miles 3x a week.. Reason being I need to prepare for the wild land fire academy.

How do you think I should go through this progress? I already tried walking on the treadmill 3mph for 10 min it was ok no problem. The thing is o want to walk outside and use my wild land boots that I'm going to be using when I go on my hikes
Dec 20 2014 08:25pm
Quote (Jaypee @ Dec 18 2014 10:08am)
Hey Ray, it's been a long time.

Quick question: is there any possible correlation between the use of creatine and hair loss? or is some of this blabber just bullcrap to scare naive readers?

Short answer - Creatine does not have any direct impact on hair loss.

More complex answer - Anything that increases testosterone can accelerate hair loss in men genetically prone to baldness. That being said, creatine WILL assist with increased testosterone levels through indirect means. Therefore, creatine INDIRECTLY can accelerate hair loss in men genetically predisposed to it. However, the same could be said about ANYTHING that increases testosterone, including lifting weights, taking certain supplements, eating fat/cholesterol, etc.

The solution? Take create as recommended, and follow my hair loss guide if you ever start noticing problems.
Dec 20 2014 08:29pm
Quote (18_1 @ Dec 18 2014 01:54pm)
Thank you very much! I have just a few questions based on this routine:

Is it flexible enough that I can work out in the morning rather than after meal 4, and if so, what should I eat before working out in the morning?

Do you abide by the saying never work out within an hour of eating? I pretty much have to eat first thing in the morning (I often wake up early in the morning with my stomach upset because it wants food), but there are some days where my nights are unavailable and the morning would make the most sense to work out. That being said, I would prefer to not have to wait an hour after eating to work out (but that's what I've always heard you should do). Is that why you have a pre-bedtime meal/would that be sufficient to work out first thing in the morning without eating ahead of working out?

I can keep to this meal plan for the next few weeks, but once my school semester starts back up in mid January I will not have the same flexibility to prepare food that I do right now. My schedule will be pretty strict on M/W, as I work from 8:30am-4:30pm, and I can't cook during that time. I can still work out at night, but my meals would probably have to be adjusted. Do you have any recommendations on how I should sub things out during that 8 hour stretch?

Thank you again - this is very much appreciated!

Yes you can. If you choose to do that, just take around 20g of protein shake pre-workout, and then have your PWO meal, and continue the rest of the meals as usual. It would be better to go to the gym on a relatively empty stomach to avoid gastro-intestinal issues. However, with your condition regarding eating first thing upon waking, stick to simple foods that digest quickly.

Instead of just the 20g shake, do a 40g protein shake (whey isolate preferred) + 2 bananas.

During the 8 hours of NOT cooking...you can have pre-prepared meals, and/or snacks. Examples would be, pre-grilled chicken, hard boiled eggs, cans of tuna, whey protein shakes/bars, sliced meats/cheese, nuts, whole grain tortilla chips, beef jerky, yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese sticks, any fruits/veggies, granola bars, etc.

Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1186818691870187118722039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll