d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1185418551856185718582039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,227.27
Oct 8 2014 09:28am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Oct 8 2014 09:41am)
Is the pain mostly when coming back up? Or going down?

Either way, form is a key issue here, as well as lower back strength. Do you train lower back frequently enough?

If you feel that you are lifting with your back on the way up, and not using the legs fully, then using a weight belt, and consciously focusing on DRIVING upwards through the legs will be necessary. You really have to isolate your legs consciously and feel yourself pushing through them, keeping the back straight and not rounded.

The pain is when I go back up. I do train my lower back at least once a week but it's very weak compared to my other muscles. For example, I only do 185lbs 10rep on deadlift when I do at least 225lbs 10rep on squat.

I think I'm lifting with my back on the way up and not using my legs fully. I don't have a weight belt, should I get one? Is there a way to fix my form without the belt?
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Oct 8 2014 10:09pm
Quote (Nerlens @ Oct 8 2014 11:28am)
The pain is when I go back up. I do train my lower back at least once a week but it's very weak compared to my other muscles. For example, I only do 185lbs 10rep on deadlift when I do at least 225lbs 10rep on squat.

I think I'm lifting with my back on the way up and not using my legs fully. I don't have a weight belt, should I get one? Is there a way to fix my form without the belt?

What you need to do...is train lower back at least twice a week, IN ADDITION to your regular routine.

Some great lower back exercises are:

Good Mornings, Lower Back Hyperextensions (weighted), Straight-Leg deadlifts, and cable rows.

You really need to improve that lower back strength. However, until then, make sure you belt up and focus on driving with your back during those squats.

To fix the form WITHOUT a belt, you need to lower the weight considerably and focus on it until you get the stabilizers to completely accept the proper form.
Gold: 1.05
Oct 13 2014 01:27am
Sup raynlads

Why is it / how is it there are conflicting strength routines but both work?

For example the Texas method vs smolov Jr

One has you doing 133 working reps, the other 30.

texas method: High volume at the start of the week acts as catalyst for improved performance at the end of the week

But smolov Jr is like 'high volume high intensity 4x week or die'

Both very different, but both are known to work. What gives?

I understand Texas method is full body and smolov Jr is just for bench

Oct 13 2014 11:05pm
Quote (HotHamAndCarl @ Oct 13 2014 03:27am)
Sup raynlads

Why is it / how is it there are conflicting strength routines but both work?

For example the Texas method vs smolov Jr

One has you doing 133 working reps, the other 30.

texas method: High volume at the start of the week acts as catalyst for improved performance at the end of the week

But smolov Jr is like 'high volume high intensity 4x week or die'

Both very different, but both are known to work. What gives?

I understand Texas method is full body and smolov Jr is just for bench

In general, the key to making any significant gains and improvement is based upon duration of intensity. The greater the duration of intensity, the greater the overall gains (assuming there is adequate recovery).

These are both platform plans for which to follow. One can see tremendous gains from virtually any training regimen in which the body is consistently challenged and forced to work harder than it is comfortable with. Striving for greater victories with each training session is absolutely necessary.

At the end of the day, muscle fibers are torn, and rebuilt with recovery, leading to greater strength and size gains. HOWEVER, particular training methods can benefit various functionality. For example, GVT will improve size gains moreso than 5x5, however, 5x5 will improve strength gains more than GVT. Both are intense forms of training and cause muscle tissue to be torn and ultimately rebuilt larger, but each set of training directly impacts the body's abilities.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 3,835.50
Oct 14 2014 08:33am
Hey Raynor it's me again.

I will be ordering protein here soon to be used post workout.

I've always used ON Gold Standard for almost two years now and I never tried another brand other than ON or another product by ON.

Feeling adventurous, what do you think?

I only need a 2x 2lb but if price is cheaper for a 5lb will go with a 5lb tub.

My goal is to cut body fat %, 1-2 lb per week, I'm 5"11 190 LB.

I take my post workout shakes with Skim Milk using a blender.

This post was edited by ArtofApocalypse on Oct 14 2014 08:35am
Oct 14 2014 01:16pm
Quote (ArtofApocalypse @ Oct 14 2014 10:33am)
Hey Raynor it's me again.

I will be ordering protein here soon to be used post workout.

I've always used ON Gold Standard for almost two years now and I never tried another brand other than ON or another product by ON.

Feeling adventurous, what do you think?

I only need a 2x 2lb but if price is cheaper for a 5lb will go with a 5lb tub.

My goal is to cut body fat %, 1-2 lb per week, I'm 5"11 190 LB.

I take my post workout shakes with Skim Milk using a blender.

Hello there.

Some of the best choices, pound for price, flavor, and so forth are as follows:

ON Pro Complex Natural
Muscle Milk Natural
NOW! Whey Protein

If you'd like to give any of those a shot, go for it. I personally use the Pro Complex Natural, although I heard they might be discontinuing it.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 3,835.50
Oct 14 2014 02:29pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Oct 14 2014 03:16pm)
Hello there.

ON Pro Complex Natural
Muscle Milk Natural
NOW! Whey Protein

If you'd like to give any of those a shot, go for it. I personally use the Pro Complex Natural, although I heard they might be discontinuing it.

Don't really feel like paying so much for "natural"

I've been thinking about the Pro Complex. If I use this with skim milk, should I only use 1 scoop after my workout?

Also, thinking about eating Oatmeal in the mornings before working our, your thoughts about this?

Thanks again Raynor.
Oct 14 2014 04:47pm
Quote (ArtofApocalypse @ Oct 14 2014 04:29pm)
Don't really feel like paying so much for "natural"

I've been thinking about the Pro Complex. If I use this with skim milk, should I only use 1 scoop after my workout?

Also, thinking about eating Oatmeal in the mornings before working our, your thoughts about this?

Thanks again Raynor.

If using milk, obviously the calories and protein will increase, so 1-1.5 scoops would be sufficient.

As far as oatmeal BEFORE working out, I would advise against it, as anything slow digesting before working out will usually result in indigestion, cramps, bloating, etc.
Gold: 175.00
Oct 18 2014 10:36pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Oct 14 2014 03:16pm)
Hello there.

ON Pro Complex Natural
Muscle Milk Natural
NOW! Whey Protein

What's the reason for discontinuing it ?
Oct 18 2014 10:57pm
Quote (45sz @ Oct 19 2014 12:36am)
What's the reason for discontinuing it ?

I wish I knew.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1185418551856185718582039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll