d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Graphic Design > Graphic Requests > Anyone Had Issues Dealing With This User?
1235Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 127,408.50
Mar 22 2024 06:54am

Recently purchased a sig from him, basically to stop him harassing me via pm.
Made a lot of attempts at my brief, never asked for any deposit. Then after the fact 3 days later pm'd me saying I owed him for his time.

To be clear the users art was pretty good, but the way he interacts seems shady. Like pressing people into paying for attempts they didn't want to use.

Is this normal of the graphic request forum? I've had several made without making a deposit and never had an issue.
Gold: 33.33
Mar 22 2024 07:00am
Interesting question for all who are gonna use services here - like i do at the moment

This guy also posted in my topic.

I might comment there something like: "do not do anything you want fg for, without my agreement" or something.

But lets see what other creators will say

btw - the attempts he did for you were really nice for 500-1000 fg investment offer
Gold: 23,633.37
Trader: Trusted
Mar 22 2024 07:06am
Not going to mention any user. But seeming as something seems unclear here, here are the rules touching this subject:

General Rules:
If you are selling your graphic work (FT or Offering Service), you must define either a set amount of FG, or a range of FG.
You are not allowed to use the graphic work until the designer has received your FG offer.

- You are only obliged to pay for the graphics you intend to use. However, it is seen as a GM courtesy to give a tip for time spent, but you are not obliged to, no.

This is however, the wrong forum for this type of question, since it's not a request.
Gold: 5,828.67
Mar 22 2024 07:11am
Now I am forced to defend myself proximity.

It just not cool to call out people in public like this.
Just to be clear for everyone.

https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=103524827&f=111

this is original link

1) proximity asked for sig and ava
2) after my first attempt, proximity tells me to slow down the animation and make the hero larger

---after my 2nd attempt, if he just didnt respond or say sorry this is not what I am looking for, I woulda stopped right there----

3) On my 3rd attempt I put glowing runewords BG
4) in response he says he likes it alot
"I like this design alot. I think we could work something out from there, I'm at work right now.
Will pm you
Pmd"
5) After expressing that he likes my work, he send me 8 PMs and I do 6 edits for him. (5 were made according to his directions and 1 was a free attempt)
i) in the PMs that relayed between him and I, we discuss price which was 1.5k~2.5k, he never answers that he continues to requests for edits
6) although proximity bought my last attempt, he felt that I twisted his arm into purchasing it. I don't want my name tarnished anywhere so I am defending myself.

Proximity's argument is that
i) you never asked for deposit therefore all your attempts are free
ii) I am not going to use your sig so I shouldnt pay
iii) I never explicitly said that we were working together. (working together means that I make a deposit or I tell you that we are working together)

My argument is that
i) we engaged in a tacit agreement when you said "I like this design alot. I think we could work something out from there" followed by 8 PMs that requested 5 different changes to the sig
ii) just because you did not make the deposit, it does not mean that we are not in a working relationship

This post was edited by Ozymandias31153 on Mar 22 2024 07:13am
Gold: 35,665.00
Mar 22 2024 07:16am
Too much drama going on in this subforum lately. Unfortunate for all of us who enjoy being part of it. :zzz:
Gold: 10,885.00
Mar 22 2024 07:17am
You are not obligated to use graphics that someone makes for you. That's first and foremost. Secondly, if you and an artist never agree on a deposit up front before they start working, that is on them. Not you. If after they've attempted your ISO, you decide none of their work is quite what you wanted and you will not be using any of it, then you do not owe them anything.

It is the artists responsibility to ask for an up front deposit for their time to attempt your ISO. If they fail to do that, then tough shit. They cannot come to you after the fact to guilt you into paying for work that they don't want just because they spent time attempting lol. That is asinine.
Mar 22 2024 07:23am
Quote (Ozymandias31153 @ Mar 22 2024 01:11pm)

this is original link

2) after my first attempt, proximity tells me to slow down the animation and make the hero larger

---after my 2nd attempt, if he just didnt respond or say sorry this is not what I am looking for, I woulda stopped right there----

"I like this design alot. I think we could work something out from there, I'm at work right now.
Will pm you
Pmd"
5) After expressing that he likes my work, he send me 8 PMs and I do 6 edits for him. (5 were made according to his directions and 1 was a free attempt)
i) in the PMs that relayed between him and I, we discuss price which was 1.5k~2.5k, he never answers that he continues to requests for edits
6) although proximity bought my last attempt, he felt that I twisted his arm into purchasing it. I don't want my name tarnished anywhere so I am defending myself.

iii) I never explicitly said that we were working together. (working together means that I make a deposit or I tell you that we are working together)

My argument is that
i) we engaged in a tacit agreement when you said "I like this design alot. I think we could work something out from there" followed by 8 PMs that requested 5 different changes to the sig
ii) just because you did not make the deposit, it does not mean that we are not in a working relationship

I respect your right to have your say. Also respectfully I have not read your post here fully.

Quote (ijsGv @ Mar 22 2024 01:17pm)
You are not obligated to use graphics that someone makes for you. That's first and foremost. Secondly, if you and an artist never agree on a deposit up front before they start working, that is on them. Not you. If after they've attempted your ISO, you decide none of their work is quite what you wanted and you will not be using any of it, then you do not owe them anything.

It is the artists responsibility to ask for an up front deposit for their time to attempt your ISO. If they fail to do that, then tough shit. They cannot come to you after the fact to guilt you into paying for work that they don't want just because they spent time attempting lol. That is asinine.

I absolutely would not want to waste any artists time. I think it would be more fair for them to ask for a deposit before making any attempts.

I made it fairly clear to the artist in this case that I didn't want to buy the attempts. And even made it clear I didn't want to use any more of his time.
Something like 3 days later I got a PM along the lines of "I owe him fg for making those attempts"

I would probably insist that its just a better level of communication required. I thought my communication was fairly clear.
Although I tend to believe that the artist was intentionally unclear on asking for a deposit. In a way that strong armed me into eventually buying a sig to avoid being, in his words "reported to the mods"

I notice they make attempts in request topics and then post it with "feedback please"
Assuming that any response with feedback is an intent to buy or secure the artists time with fg.

Felt that was pretty bm actually. I would've used the same artist again because the art was pretty cool, but the etiquette was just lacking if I'm honest.

This post was edited by Prox1m1ty on Mar 22 2024 07:25am
Mar 22 2024 07:28am
Quote (Ozymandias31153 @ Mar 22 2024 01:11pm)

this is original link

Will pm you
Pmd"

My argument is that

Ok I read through this and just want to respond to this
About discussing price, I believe it was you that PM me that your rate is 2k for an animated sig; In my mind I would have happily paid 1-1.5k for the sigs you had made, IF they were ones I intended to use.

Saying this, -

"I like this design alot. I think we could work something out from there"

Is in no way an agreement to buy any of your art. If that is how you interpreted it, I apologise but I think if your being honest you can see this is not a deal of any kind.
I would say don't invest time on attempts without asking for a deposit, if you then intend to claim I owe you something for how you decide to use your time.

This post was edited by Prox1m1ty on Mar 22 2024 07:29am
Gold: 10,885.00
Mar 22 2024 07:29am
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Mar 22 2024 06:23am)
I think it would be more fair for them to ask for a deposit before making any attempts.

It is their responsibility to determine a deposit amount, if they expect to be paid for attempts. It's simple. If they do not ask for a deposit, and you choose not to use their work in the end, then you are not obligated to pay them. You could certainly send them a tip for their time to try...but that's a courtesy not a requirement.

This post was edited by ijsGv on Mar 22 2024 07:30am
Gold: 5,828.67
Mar 22 2024 07:30am
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Mar 22 2024 10:28pm)
Ok I read through this and just want to respond to this

About discussing price, I believe it was you that PM me that your rate is 2k for an animated sig; In my mind I would have happily paid 1-1.5k for the sigs you had made, IF they were ones I intended to use.

Saying this, -

"I like this design alot. I think we could work something out from there"

Is in no way an agreement to buy any of your art. If that is how you interpreted it, I apologise but I think if your being honest you can see this is not a deal of any kind.

I have screen captured all your 8 pms. Is it okay if I upload them here?

Many of your PMs contain
1) a diary of specific changes you want
2) Your work is amazing (not once btw)

If it is okay with you, I would like to post the 8 pms that you sent me so everyone can judge.

This post was edited by Ozymandias31153 on Mar 22 2024 07:31am
Go Back To Graphic Requests Topic List
1235Next
Closed New Topic New Poll