d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Do You Find Yourself Using Fast Forward?
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 23 2023 04:17pm
Never. I don't consume much through, maybe if I watched more trash but if I was doing that I think I'd just not watch at all.
Gold: 2,216.52
Mar 23 2023 07:13pm
Quote (SBD @ Mar 23 2023 07:17pm)
Never. I don't consume much through, maybe if I watched more trash but if I was doing that I think I'd just not watch at all.

Agree, if I think about skipping content I might as well not watch it.
Gold: 0.70
Warn: 60%
Mar 26 2023 02:15am
Whiny kid
Gold: 1,595.00
Mar 26 2023 02:54am
armchair psychologist here but if you fast forward in movies you either have full blown ad(h)d or at least partially ruined your attention span, probably thanks to the shitty constant stream of information and entertainment on todays internet
(e.g. tiktok, youtube shorts, reddit)
Gold: 69.69
Warn: 30%
Mar 26 2023 01:46pm
Quote (rinirax @ Mar 26 2023 09:54pm)
armchair psychologist here but if you fast forward in movies you either have full blown ad(h)d or at least partially ruined your attention span, probably thanks to the shitty constant stream of information and entertainment on todays internet
(e.g. tiktok, youtube shorts, reddit)

Could be, but that's a pedestrian hot take. Maybe they are picky watchers and don't consume any garbage.
I think it started with commercials the TV shows used to slide in every 15-20 mins. Now with power of internet one could skip those.

The quality of good movies has diminished significantly. If you grew up watching a shit tonne of movies you would find that there is too many cliches and overused safe formula that you have seen thousands of times.
Also now that I have grown up I don't have as much time to waste as I did when I was a kid. A fast forward button gets me through the countless filler material.

What about watching reruns? People might want to rewatch their favourite parts. Why should you be subjected to religious practice of never skipping a single scene?
It's wonderful, I like to listen to some podcasts and YouTube at x2 speed.

This post was edited by addone on Mar 26 2023 01:46pm
Gold: 144.33
Mar 26 2023 02:11pm
You just have a short attention span due to how new media has conditioned people this era.
Gold: 1,595.00
Mar 26 2023 02:28pm
Quote (addone @ 26 Mar 2023 21:46)
Could be, but that's a pedestrian hot take. Maybe they are picky watchers and don't consume any garbage.
I think it started with commercials the TV shows used to slide in every 15-20 mins. Now with power of internet one could skip those.

The quality of good movies has diminished significantly. If you grew up watching a shit tonne of movies you would find that there is too many cliches and overused safe formula that you have seen thousands of times.
Also now that I have grown up I don't have as much time to waste as I did when I was a kid. A fast forward button gets me through the countless filler material.

What about watching reruns? People might want to rewatch their favourite parts.
Why should you be subjected to religious practice of never skipping a single scene?
It's wonderful, I like to listen to some podcasts and YouTube at x2 speed.

yeah but this is exactly the thing im talking about. present day internet has ruined our brains. our brain is addicted to the instant gratification/dopamine rush and only wants the highlights and good feeling of remembering that special scene.
in normal scenarios, a good scene is a good scene because of build up. a death scene is completely meaningless if you skipped all the moments before where you get to know and love the character.
or a funny scene would be less impactful if you dont know he reacted in an unusual way since you dont know how he reacts usually.
at least thats how it is for watching something the first time. i wouldnt skip stuff on a rewatch (because i wouldnt watch something again if i didnt 100% like it) but that build up factor isnt as needed there obviously.

my first post was worded as a fact when its obviously not, not everyone who does this has adhd or whatever but it seems like the correlation is there at least.
also i did skip a few scenes when watching hereditary recently. i guess i kinda tried to "salvage" the movie for myself since i didnt really like it so i just searched for good scenes. but in the end i didnt find any because i didnt care about anything that happened.
Gold: 0.00
Mar 26 2023 03:08pm
Quote (piatek @ Mar 26 2023 10:11pm)
You just have a short attention span due to how new media has conditioned people this era.

judging by you being seen salivating over formulaic, childish mind oriented "star wars" - the media conditioned alot of people not to know any better than to put stale, milquetoast, fast-forwardable "content" on a pedestal

This post was edited by HeLiCaL on Mar 26 2023 03:18pm
Gold: 1,945.00
Mar 26 2023 04:18pm
witcher show I fast forwarded to the Cavil scenes.
Gold: 5.00
Mar 26 2023 05:45pm
Quote (addone @ Mar 23 2023 01:44am)
In the last couple of years I don't think I watched a movie or a series where I don't hit fast forward at least once. I guess it's due to me being too familiar with overused Hollywood formula coupled with tedious woke nonsense and my ever increasing value of time.
Mind you I can still whole heartedly enjoy the film. It's just certain parts will detract from experience.

For example any marvel movie I usually finish in 10-30mins. I highly doubt anyone sits through entire Avatar film and think to themselves wow that was the most captivating 3hrs of my life. I feel like most movies should be narrowed down to 1 hour as an industry standard unless they are some epic trilogy that's action packed

It puts the movie on its tv or else it gets the hose again.

Should try going into the way-back bin and watching some worthy classics. Probably will be watching AI generated formula movies in a few years without even knowing it :/ Godfather rendered in a Zach Snyder style. Oh way, Sin City 3?
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll