d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Clinton Odds Of Winning Plummeting > Only A Moderate Favorite Now
Prev15678914Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 40.42
Sep 13 2016 10:35am
Quote (Pollster @ 13 Sep 2016 08:33)
In addition to this, people are much better off using the HuffPo Pollster instead of RealClearPolitics: http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-general-election-trump-vs-clinton

RCP plays too many games with their aggregate on account of their conservative founder and ideology. Most people wouldn't notice them because they're subtle, but they've been engaged in a long-running practice of doing absolutely anything they can to undermine the standing of Democratic politicians in their aggregates, whether they're measuring Obama's job approval, the approval of the Affordable Care Act, the horserace between Clinton and Trump, whatever.

There's really no excuse for people to still use RCP when a vastly-superior product like HuffPo is here now.

I'll stick with Math Jesus in any case. I mean, if you want to talk about a founder with a dog in the race, I can't imagine HuffPo being all that much better. :P
Gold: 0.00
Sep 13 2016 10:37am
Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Sep 13 2016 12:28pm)
This wouldn't help with income tho. :(

I've heard you work there, so if you stop trading paychecks for pies you'd be good😁

Quote (Pollster @ Sep 13 2016 12:33pm)
In addition to this, people are much better off using the HuffPo Pollster instead of RealClearPolitics: http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-general-election-trump-vs-clinton

RCP plays too many games with their aggregate on account of their conservative founder and ideology. Most people wouldn't notice them because they're subtle, but they've been engaged in a long-running practice of doing absolutely anything they can to undermine the standing of Democratic politicians in their aggregates, whether they're measuring Obama's job approval, the approval of the Affordable Care Act, the horserace between Clinton and Trump, whatever.

There's really no excuse for people to still use RCP when a vastly-superior product like HuffPo is here now.

Isn't huff post extremely liberal? I always thought of rcp as being less biased
Gold: 40.42
Sep 13 2016 10:38am
Quote (hydrogod @ 13 Sep 2016 08:37)
I've heard you work there, so if you stop trading paychecks for pies you'd be good😁

Plus I could still steal pizza boxes to make furniture with. It's a win win!

But then there's the other problem, where then I'm not getting as many dicks in my butt. :( Still doesn't seem worth it.
Gold: 260.11
Sep 13 2016 11:06am
Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Sep 13 2016 10:19am)
I mean, I don't wanna be a dick but

Gold: 20.31
Sep 13 2016 11:08am
Quote (hydrogod @ Sep 13 2016 09:37am)

Isn't huff post extremely liberal? I always thought of rcp as being less biased

I don't keep track of Huffington Post editorials or reporting, the aggregate is completely separate from it and is the only public feature that I'd suggest people use. It gives the user full domain over inputs and is incredibly transparent about its methodology (especially with which firms it includes and why) -- and crucially, you have the option of deselecting firms if you want, in order to create a customizable aggregate of your own.

The RCP aggregate by comparison isn't transparent, and isn't unbiased. It deliberately chooses arbitrary survey date cutoffs in order to skew the numbers towards Republicans, if a polling firm publishes multiple data sets (like numbers among All Adults, Registered Voters, and Likely Voters) it will deliberately pick the one most favorable to Republicans, and it deliberately includes Republican polling firms without doing the same for the Democratic equivalent. It also just includes fraudulent firms that should be excluded. Now that the HuffPo product is available, the RCP aggregate really is an incredibly-shoddy product.

Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Sep 13 2016 09:35am)
I'll stick with Math Jesus in any case. I mean, if you want to talk about a founder with a dog in the race, I can't imagine HuffPo being all that much better. :P

If you're referring to Nate Silver then that's really a separate issue. People are free to trust his commentary, his modeling. I would even recommend him with some caveats. But what he provides is a model, and commentary based off of that model; the HuffPo Pollster and RCP averages are simple aggregates. They're directly comparable, and HuffPo simply has the far superior product. People have gotten use to RCP, I suspect it will eventually become outdated.
Gold: 2,504.69
Sep 13 2016 11:25am
Just in case anyone needs an education, let me take this 15 seconds to (in a non savaging way) explain that Huffpost is indeed left leaning.
Gold: 152.00
Sep 13 2016 11:52am
IMO Vegas odds are the most reliable metric, not polls.

In sports and politics, there are a handful of methodologies that outperform Vegas (probably not because Vegas' forecasting is wrong, but because their lines are not actually probability predictions, they are shaded by bet popularity and money), but Vegas is usually a good baseline.

Clinton has moved back up to -200, Trump at +175.

Quote (Pollster @ Sep 13 2016 11:42am)
If that's really the case then you should bet as much as you can as fast as you can.

I'll leave that to the people who think they can beat Vegas. Go for it yourself if you're confident!

This post was edited by Voyaging on Sep 13 2016 11:53am
Gold: 20.31
Sep 13 2016 12:55pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Sep 13 2016 10:52am)
I'll leave that to the people who think they can beat Vegas. Go for it yourself if you're confident!

All of my betting related to the presidential election was locked in long ago, months before the convention. It's considered a professional courtesy.
Sep 13 2016 01:05pm
Clinton is at +400 to drop out or be forced out of the election lol

Quote (Pollster @ Sep 13 2016 02:55pm)
All of my betting related to the presidential election was locked in long ago, months before the convention. It's considered a professional courtesy.

But it's not illegal for you?

This post was edited by Voyaging on Sep 13 2016 01:05pm
Sep 13 2016 01:07pm
So Clinton being at +400 to drop out or be forced out is obviously the primary cause of the tightening in the race, due to her health. Basically if she makes it through the election, her odds are really good, but there's a chance she might have to drop out.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev15678914Next
Closed New Topic New Poll