d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Maybe A New Page In My Life
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 70.00
Feb 27 2023 08:23am
Hi, i'm currently working for a TI team inside a hospital.

being quite honest, I don't have much contact with the programming part, but it has always interested me a lot. I'm 24 years old and I would like to start programming but I don't have a certain path that I would like to follow. Despite being curious about the area, I never researched very deeply, maybe because I'm too lazy to try to change something for myself and end up depending on others even if it's just to get some push.

Unfortunately the people in my service, not very closed and rarely share knowledge with others, besides the fact that the part of the sector that I am part of (Support), basically takes care of things like e-mail, support to doctors and things in general related to hospital administration.

My knowledge is very limited, having some notions that only involve Windows Server and things related to AD and issues related to my role in everyday life.

I wanted to know if anyone could give me a light where to start, where would be a good starting point for me to develop some skills in this area.

Thanks in advance.
Gold: 169.00
Feb 27 2023 02:50pm
Well, if you dont know what specific path in development you would take, it would be the best to start with Harvard CS50 online course.

It will teach you from the start (introduction, variables, loops, syntax, data/alghoritms)...
You will end up doing real projects at the end of course, and even get the certificate.

It is fun, but it is also very hard - I would say that maybe <5% of people that enroll there Will actually finish it, but with that knowledge you would be able to seek intern/junior positions and grind your way up.
Gold: 70.00
Feb 27 2023 03:22pm
Quote (WeAreTheBorg @ Feb 27 2023 05:50pm)
Well, if you dont know what specific path in development you would take, it would be the best to start with Harvard CS50 online course.

It will teach you from the start (introduction, variables, loops, syntax, data/alghoritms)...
You will end up doing real projects at the end of course, and even get the certificate.

It is fun, but it is also very hard - I would say that maybe <5% of people that enroll there Will actually finish it, but with that knowledge you would be able to seek intern/junior positions and grind your way up.

Thanks for point a way. I'll subscribe to it today!
Gold: 4.00
Mar 4 2023 08:24am
I would suggets that you first try a light type of a course just to kind of have a taste of what it's like to be a developer and to be writing code. Touch on the very basics as Borg has suggested (variables, loops, syntax etc) and you will surely get the feel if programming is for you.
Gold: 1.99
Mar 4 2023 10:39am
I tried courses when I started and found them to be dull beyond conception, asking myself: "How will this convert into something useful to my life, like building X application or developing Y website?"
I had a software idea that later became Wireshark (I was piggybacking off of 3, different neighbors' networks for a full year, saving $1200, way back in the day of the WPS vulnerability). Anyways that was the inspiration. I was in a major city where I could have found interest in it. But I realized I had zero ability to make the software and no interest in the textbook approach to coding.

Try watching YouTube channels that differ in audience skill level. Since you're in a Help Desk position(?), you can benefit with NetworkChuck. He does a good job helping you decide an IT path, therefore which IT certificates to go for. When you get more advanced and realize NetworkChuck isn't really teaching as much as entertaining, you must check out John Hammond, also aged 24-25, on YT and have your mind blown at the skill gap between the two.

Fundamentals in textbooks are obviously very important, so YouTube is not a replacement if you're goal is to get certifications. Well.. maybe to a lesser degree now -- with the popularity of gpt-3.5-turbo being embraced by already-established coders as 'digital assistants' -- however, that's another topic.
Gold: 1,264.00
Apr 10 2023 08:10am
Not OP, but I'm considering something like this as well. I remember someone once telling me if you aren't passionate about IT then you'll have a very difficult time progressing. He then made the suggestion if you're wanting decent money etc then switch over to development. However, my reality is no real work experience in the dev world plus I'm 30 now which makes learning a skill such as this very tough. I just want to escape IT Operations... hell desk is draining my soul.

This post was edited by MasterA4 on Apr 10 2023 08:11am
Retired Moderator
Gold: 2,948.60
Trader: Trusted
Apr 11 2023 10:56am
Quote (MasterA4 @ 10 Apr 2023 10:10)
Not OP, but I'm considering something like this as well. I remember someone once telling me if you aren't passionate about IT then you'll have a very difficult time progressing. He then made the suggestion if you're wanting decent money etc then switch over to development. However, my reality is no real work experience in the dev world plus I'm 30 now which makes learning a skill such as this very tough. I just want to escape IT Operations... hell desk is draining my soul.

I went back to school for programming at 28 y.o and am now working in the field, best choice I ever made.
Always worth it to give it a shot and put a little time and effort into slowly learning new skills. You find out pretty quick whether you're gonna stick with it or not
Apr 11 2023 02:21pm
Quote (Soroush @ Apr 11 2023 12:56pm)
I went back to school for programming at 28 y.o and am now working in the field, best choice I ever made.
Always worth it to give it a shot and put a little time and effort into slowly learning new skills. You find out pretty quick whether you're gonna stick with it or not

If only ADHD did not cause such a chemical imbalance in the brain then perhaps I could stick with something. However, to your point, I've tried programming before but eventually lost motivation/desire to learn. I guess that's my signal to find something else?

This post was edited by MasterA4 on Apr 11 2023 02:25pm
Retired Moderator
Gold: 2,948.60
Trader: Trusted
Apr 12 2023 06:37am
Quote (MasterA4 @ 11 Apr 2023 16:21)
If only ADHD did not cause such a chemical imbalance in the brain then perhaps I could stick with something. However, to your point, I've tried programming before but eventually lost motivation/desire to learn. I guess that's my signal to find something else?

If you blame it on ADHD, why would something else work? :)

Not saying that ADHD is not a valid excuse, I understand how it can make things terribly difficult.. but if you're going to have that difficulty with almost anything (just assuming here), then you might as well at least try something that you seem to be interested, and that will pay really, really well for a really entry level job. IMO anyways.

And tbh, there are so many things you can learn to do with programming to make your ADHD lifestyle easier haha. Learn python and automate half of the stuff you forget to do because of ADHD, or set reminders that show up in 15 places so you can't miss them. Really fun stuff.
Apr 12 2023 08:51am
Quote (Soroush @ Apr 12 2023 08:37am)
If you blame it on ADHD, why would something else work? :)

Not saying that ADHD is not a valid excuse, I understand how it can make things terribly difficult.. but if you're going to have that difficulty with almost anything (just assuming here), then you might as well at least try something that you seem to be interested, and that will pay really, really well for a really entry level job. IMO anyways.

And tbh, there are so many things you can learn to do with programming to make your ADHD lifestyle easier haha. Learn python and automate half of the stuff you forget to do because of ADHD, or set reminders that show up in 15 places so you can't miss them. Really fun stuff.

Yeah, actually nothing else seems to be working in a positive manner for my long-term self. How can you function and do normal (neurotypical) things especially delaying instant gratification when you're already deprived of dopamine? I've tried learning python, I even own a book about the fundamentals of it and OOP, but I always burnout. It sucks because money is needed for survival and I'm not getting any younger.

This post was edited by MasterA4 on Apr 12 2023 08:55am
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll