d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > User Blogs > How To Get Rich ((trading))
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 72,050.00
Jan 27 2023 02:18am
Coming soon
Jan 27 2023 03:29pm
Welcome!

What is this post about?
How to maximize the amount of fg wealth using d2r trading forums under the following conditions: not having much time to play d2r+loving the trading forums

What is it NOT about?
  • How to become rich on d2jsp in general (go gamble in bar n pub games or whatever)
  • How to transform 100k fg into 200k fg
  • how/what/where to magic find (mf)?
  • Ingame ways to earn fg without mfing (items to buy from NPCs/selling sockets quests/offering services/etc.)
  • The first days of ladder. Prices will be crazy and you can

So who is it for?
Newbs, mainly. Returners from d2lod. Anyone starting with nothing at D2R&fg-wise. Lovers of the game&forums.
Tbh I m afraid most of the users will already know what comes next but if this helps at least one person, I m glad.

What to expect?/Whats the goal?
Considering the little tips in here allowed me to raise ~1k fg within a few weeks, at the end of the current ladder season.
You ll already guess that this can only be done by flipping items and this post is focussing on the HOW to do that part most efficiently.

Lets jump in! :thumbsup:

TIP1: Know the current price & know which items are in high demand

If your goal was simply to reach 1k fg in the least amount of time you could ideally just play a few minutes on first hour of ladder, find THE FIRST soj at Andariels an sell it for a couple of k fg easily.
Further into the ladder season, it does however make sense to have good idea about which items are popular (i.e. high liquid markets) and the bid/ask prices, since we want to make money trading, remember?!
Of course you can always be lucky and buy a sick rare of a newb and resell with a 100x multiple, but this post assumes that this is not as easy, given all the other people around, looking for the same opportunity.
I recommend s personal blog posts on price guides in recent ladder seasons!

TIP2: Use the search function!

This has multiple dimensions:
  • You d be surprised how many people post an ISO topic without having searched the FT section first! Check what are the current
    ISOs and see if you can find them in FT with a discount to make a buck.
  • Filter on FT and search for terms like "pack"/"profit"/"gamble"... to find things to buy and flip
  • If you made good deal with someone (they didnt know prices well/they sold a nice profit pack/...), go check their latest topics from their profile! If they had a cheap offer once, there may be more to profit from

TIP3: be quick!

Especially on the FT forums, it makes sense to refresh the page often, in case a good deal comes up with a BIN specified in topic. Only the first reply will be able to bin this item at this price.

TIP4: Make use of the forums limitations/specifics

Easiest example: for most ((rich)) people on the forums, the minimum currency unit is 1fg, really, and items are usually priced in steps of 5fg. By definition that means that pricing is not perfect and at the same price you ll find items which intrinsic values differ quite largely. Which bridges perfectly to the next point:

TIP5: ARBITRAGE! (or: ingame vs. d2jsp)

This is the core take of this post, actually. Ingame trades are possible!! ;-)
And with the huge amount of players in d2r ladder, it does not cost a lot of time to ingame trade.
But the best part is: the pricings in ingame trade are different from d2jsp pricings!
Pure ingame traders are usually pvm oriented. They are ((solo)) MFing, is what they do. D2jsp users are more on the PvP/Collector side of life.
What does that imply?
  • ingame traders usually care more about the functionality of an item and less about its perfection. E.g. def on Shadowdancers does not matter to some pure PvM Assasin player ingame, while it matters for the prices on D2JSP!
    and
  • (most) runes (the currency of ingame trading) are priced ingame relatively to each more other much closer according to Horadric cube recepies to upgrade runes than on the forums!
    E.g. while an UM rune (which has a certain demand due to being used in runewords but also for the open wounds/@res addon when socketed) is worth 1/3-1/4 of an IST Rune ingame, UM and IST are prettly closely priced on the forums (e.g. UM 6fg, IST 9fg).
    This in addition to #4 above can be exploited to a huge extend to make some profit!! Depending on whether you are buy side or sell side, you could simply buy ISTs at 9fg each, open a public hell game "O IST N 3 UMs" (in EU terminology) and resell the 3UMs you ll get for 18fg, i.e. doubling your wealth!
    Do this a couple of hours/days and you re done....

(perhaps there is even nice arbitrage between servers/realms sometimes!?)

TIP6: Anticipate the market development (throughout the season)

Again I recommemnd s blog posts on recent ladder seasons. If possible, buy anything, in particular high runes, as late as possible in the ladder, since (not only their) prices will drop heavily with increasing supply.

TIP7: probably you ll not ONLY want to be on the forums but also have some fun ingame.

Do your MF runs but focus on what you like and stick to it. I personally did Chaos and Cows on a 200mf Trapsin, whenever I played. Found Jah, Vex, Mal, Ums, ...

TIP8: Focus!
  • Have a ((niche)) strategy on when and how you want to achieve your goal (lets say it s 1k fg). I personally tried to gather as many ladder-specific HLD items as possible and will be reselling in non-ladder next season. (see https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=99029594&f=276)
  • Moreover focus ingame on what items to keep. Keep as little as possible for yourself (e.g. a wizzy) but sell the rest (e.g. a BER rune). I definitely dont recommend running 10 accounts with 8 mules each. Administration will take up too much of your time. Be specific, if you want to get rich supplying low runes, collect only those which are necessary for the TOP5 runewords (spirit, insight, forti, grief perhaps!?).
  • Dont waste too much time selling low value items individually. I d rather take a strong haircut on an item pack but have the liquidity for the next thing to gamble/try/roll/"invest" into.

TIP9: Stick to the initial plan!

The very beginning is always hard, but just as the "first million is the hardest" (in real life), same relative profitability of trades brings in much more fg (in absolute terms) when done with higher priced items!

TIP10: have fun !!!
:P it s all just a game

Please let me know in case this was helpful to you! :)
Mar 5 2023 04:29am
So how did go for me since joining jsp?

10/22: Transactions: 0 · Gold In/Out: 0.00 / 0.00
11/22: Transactions: 0 · Gold In/Out: 0.00 / 0.00
12/22: Transactions: 2 · Gold In/Out: 50.00 / 0.00
01/23: Transactions: 99 · Gold In/Out: 2,176.50 / 2,161.44
02/23: Transactions: 165 · Gold In/Out: 12,653.59 / 5,701.15
03/23 (as of 23-03-05): Transactions: 45 · Gold In/Out: 6,551.66 / 2,559.16

From 0 to 11k+ fg in ~2month :banana: with 4.6k posts (obviously mostly BUMPs), without purchasing/heavy mf/playing beginning of new ladder season/offering services like lvl services etc.
pretty solid imo :)

Obviously, as in real life, first 1k fg is the hardest when flipping/trading only.

This post was edited by TheAddict on Mar 5 2023 04:38am
Mar 5 2023 04:38am
So what did I do?

Was lucky to find some stuff mfing, even though I didnt mf much
LLD jewels, JAH rune, WC str weapon from NPC

highest %profit was made on flipping very niche items, e.g.
Sorc cta, shadowdancers 2/25
from like 50 fg to ~500fg

highest absolute profit was made (obviously) on flipping higher value rares&crafts or even full chars (as in real life, first 1k fg is the hardest to get!)
druid circs rare, fc crafted rings, druid pelts
those can go from 500 to ~2k even

most stable income stream came from flipping enigmas honestly
with jah+ber at ~250fg you could ofte buy low roll enis for 150 and resell fro 200
did that a lot of times

in the end it always depends on price gap buyer sells you stuff compared to demand/willingness to pay from others DUH...

This post was edited by TheAddict on Mar 5 2023 04:40am
Mar 5 2023 04:40am
oh and: profit packs!
bought a couple of those which had a lot of margin in them... sometimes hard to get (in auctions), sometimes too hard to resell (dont buy!)
always fun though
Mar 25 2023 12:19pm
Done!
Managed to do 0 to 30.000fg in 3 months of trading, took me 6.7k posts (mostly bumps though tbh)

Almost didn’t play at all except to mf the first few hundred fg
(Note: that was during the END of Season 3, hence no easy find a Ber get rich process^^)

This post was edited by TheAddict on Mar 25 2023 12:19pm
Go Back To User Blogs Topic List
Add Reply New Topic