d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows >
Poll > The Hobbit Trilogy
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 2,216.52
Jan 30 2023 10:15pm
Quote (IgoSoHard @ Jan 30 2023 11:49pm)
The first one is the best for me, as I think it strays away from the source material less than the other two films. The main issue with the Hobbit trilogy is it was originally just supposed to be one film, since there's only 1 book. Guillermo del toro was also attached to the project for 2 years as the director. However the studio wanted more than just 1 film, so he agreed to do 2. Then they wanted a trilogy, so he said yeah this is going to be stupid & dropped out. Then they brought back in Peter Jackson. The Hobbit trilogy isn't completely garbage, however it's definitely not on the same page as the LotR trilogy. It suffers from too much CGI, doing things like including Legolas, creating the character Tauriel, etc etc etc.

Agreed, also, apart from straying away from the source material, my biggest grip was with the fact that they made the movies with too much of a serious tone(like it is in lotr books), but it isnt in the hobbit(the book), which has a way lighter tone to it, so much so that it is a book for people in pretty much any age. Lotr and hobbit are way different books in the way they were written.
Gold: 6,000.00
Jan 30 2023 10:17pm
Quote (IgoSoHard @ Jan 30 2023 09:49pm)
The first one is the best for me, as I think it strays away from the source material less than the other two films. The main issue with the Hobbit trilogy is it was originally just supposed to be one film, since there's only 1 book. Guillermo del toro was also attached to the project for 2 years as the director. However the studio wanted more than just 1 film, so he agreed to do 2. Then they wanted a trilogy, so he said yeah this is going to be stupid & dropped out. Then they brought back in Peter Jackson. The Hobbit trilogy isn't completely garbage, however it's definitely not on the same page as the LotR trilogy. It suffers from too much CGI, doing things like including Legolas, creating the character Tauriel, etc etc etc.

creating the characters doesnt bother me, its just a great triology in my eyes. absolutely would give anything to watch another hobbit journey or elves or dwarves
Gold: 2,094.99
Feb 1 2023 08:39am
Quote (Madstrike @ Jan 30 2023 10:15pm)
Agreed, also, apart from straying away from the source material, my biggest grip was with the fact that they made the movies with too much of a serious tone(like it is in lotr books), but it isnt in the hobbit(the book), which has a way lighter tone to it, so much so that it is a book for people in pretty much any age. Lotr and hobbit are way different books in the way they were written.

You’re exactly right. Tolkien said he wrote the Hobbit in a way that he could read it to his children as a bedtime story. It’s really easy to read, flows really well, etc. Still an excellent book though.

Quote (DuramaxDiesel @ Jan 30 2023 10:17pm)
creating the characters doesnt bother me, its just a great triology in my eyes. absolutely would give anything to watch another hobbit journey or elves or dwarves

It bothered me haha. [obviously not telling you anything you don’t know] but the movie is an adaptation of the book, & when you add in a main character that literally isn’t in the book much less in the lore, at all, I don’t like it haha. It’s like someone said wait a minute…there’s no chicks in this movie! Let’s create one! Now that I’m thinking about it, it’s actually sort of..interesting(?) that there’s quite literally not a single female character in the hobbit story lol. It was written in 1937 but still lol.
Gold: 499.80
Feb 1 2023 10:07pm
I really enjoyed the whole trilogy but I'm a sucker for that world/lore. For the reasons people have already said, they are not at the same level as the LOTR trilogy, absolutely still worth a watch if you enjoy LOTR stuff though.
Gold: 10,025.00
Feb 1 2023 11:11pm
All 3 movies are like.. 2/10.
Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
Feb 2 2023 10:40am
To me they just tarnished the Lord of the Rings name, and so did the show.

If I need my fantasy fix these days, I pretty much only look to books. Shows and movies have just been constant let-downs.

Wheel of Time - Trash
Rings of Power - Trash
House of the Dragon -Mediocre and forgettable imo.

I got book recommendations for days though.

This post was edited by SBD on Feb 2 2023 10:41am
Gold: 10,025.00
Feb 2 2023 02:42pm
Quote (SBD @ 2 Feb 2023 09:40)
To me they just tarnished the Lord of the Rings name, and so did the show.

If I need my fantasy fix these days, I pretty much only look to books. Shows and movies have just been constant let-downs.

Wheel of Time - Trash
Rings of Power - Trash
House of the Dragon -Mediocre and forgettable imo.

I got book recommendations for days though.

Wheel of time is 100% the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. I can't believe how hard they fucked it up. The fact that they are getting a season 2 when 10/10 shows get cancelled is mind boggling.
Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
Feb 2 2023 02:58pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Feb 2 2023 01:42pm)
Wheel of time is 100% the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. I can't believe how hard they fucked it up. The fact that they are getting a season 2 when 10/10 shows get cancelled is mind boggling.

It was truly terrible. The only scenes I had to look forward to were with Rosamund Pike and those were certainly not enough to salvage the show and even got bad in the later episodes.
Gold: 2,000.00
Feb 5 2023 06:17pm
They're great entertainment, and tbh, if you compare it with that new show that is out, they're masterpieces.
Gold: 10,278.69
Trader: Trusted
Feb 6 2023 08:34am
book is good, movies are awful.
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll