d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > Path of Exile > Im New To Poe
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7.00
Jan 22 2023 06:54pm
believe it or not im just starting this game.

anyone give me a basica run down on leveling? idk if its similar to d2 where you can get rushed, do baal runs and level then buy gear...

ill pay if anyone can give real quick detail :)
Gold: 1,928.00
Jan 22 2023 08:46pm
you have to beat a pretty mean campaign before doing much of the expansion content or end game maps

might wanna follow a guide for your skill points or get stuck buying regrets

i host a rush service on sanctum sc
Gold: 12,916.00
Warn: 30%
Jan 22 2023 10:26pm
similar except much lower player time value

in d2 you could do a week of diablo runs and be set for endgame pretty much, which is duels

in pvp you can grind a year and not be set for endgame. which is not duels. there is no duels. there is also no endgame. in poe you need to kill stuff fast to get gear to kill stuff faster :mellow:

also you might wanna avoid chat because everything gets you muted

nn fgs

but if you want a d2 clone, poe is not it. may have been at some point, but now its more like d3 than d2. oh and watch for predatory monetization, buy only what you absolutely need (which is premium tab, currency tab, map tab, and a few more tabs), if you plan on playing more than a week or so :wacko:
Jan 22 2023 10:48pm
thank you guys. ive just been going through the campaign and following a skill tree for EA Ballista...
i just dont know what to pick when it comes to gems and armor/weapons etc.

overall ive been enjoying the game. i just dont wanna waste too much time doing stuff i dont need to do

This post was edited by Exum on Jan 22 2023 10:49pm
Jan 23 2023 02:33am
Quote (Exum @ Jan 23 2023 05:48am)
thank you guys. ive just been going through the campaign and following a skill tree for EA Ballista...
i just dont know what to pick when it comes to gems and armor/weapons etc.

overall ive been enjoying the game. i just dont wanna waste too much time doing stuff i dont need to do

too bad then :P poe is the very definition of doing stuff you dont need to do! from endless grinding of the same maps over and over in hopes to get at least some good currency drop (because god knows you arent getting a good rare that way), over random craft gambling (because deterministic crafting is for pussies), to having to waste time on wisping ppl ingame (because ggg wouldnt implement the auction house due to "keeping the player interaction" PR bullshit)

i mean if you cant spend at least 5-6 h/day on poe alone, you might as well not even start :mellow:
Jan 23 2023 11:48am
Quote (Snyft2 @ Jan 23 2023 12:33am)
too bad then :P poe is the very definition of doing stuff you dont need to do! from endless grinding of the same maps over and over in hopes to get at least some good currency drop (because god knows you arent getting a good rare that way), over random craft gambling (because deterministic crafting is for pussies), to having to waste time on wisping ppl ingame (because ggg wouldnt implement the auction house due to "keeping the player interaction" PR bullshit)

i mean if you cant spend at least 5-6 h/day on poe alone, you might as well not even start :mellow:

anything you recommend spending my fg on for POE?
Gold: 2,026.75
Jan 23 2023 01:56pm
Just watch a lot of videos. PoE university by Zizaran has a lot of good information. You've got a lot of league mechanics and a lot of general information to learn.
Jan 23 2023 05:47pm
Quote (Exum @ Jan 23 2023 06:48pm)
anything you recommend spending my fg on for POE?

well :wacko: ! there are a few possible chances to use fgs in poe, here:

1) spend on utility items on league (ladder) items: after the first week or two, the price of items drops significantly so i guess you could buy some currency and use it to get ingame items you need. learn the trade rules first as its not perfectly safe. dont buy items while price is still high because you are new and it wont change much
2) spend on utility items on standard (non ladder) items: avoid this completely. the game is changed every league (3 months) and top tier items can become useless in a day. thats actually why no one plays standard, as perfectionism requires stability and poe economy is anything but stable :wacko:
3) spend on visual items on standard: good choice if you can afford it. see, even though the usability of items is always changing, their looks doesnt. so items with different looks than their default versions (called "alt arts", they are rewards from some races in the past) are worth a shitload because they look awesome and cant be acquired anymore. basically anything limited, like race rewards, especially named or good looking ones (demigods, alt art atziris mirror, alphas, that lightsabre looking shit etc) are a good investment as the value of those items can only go up. they are expensive af though :mellow: half the people who play standard dont actually play standard, they just log in act1 with some big dick char to get ppl mirin :drool:

so since ur just starting, short answer would be no :cry:

This post was edited by Snyft2 on Jan 23 2023 05:49pm
Gold: 125.00
Jan 24 2023 12:50am
bro i just got back into poe after being away for like 4 years and the game evolves at such an alarming rate i would be cautious using fg to fund anything. I spent about 3k this season on 2 builds and neither of them have worked out to the point where i feel invincible beyond t16 maps

edit: but then you'll be leveling with someone and they'll tell you about how they found a mirror of kalandra in a tier 7 map... so hope is alive i guess lol

also vouch that guy saying watch a bunch of youtube videos... ziz does a good job explaining things in lamens terms. path of building is also basically mandatory... it's fairly easy to understand tho

it's not like diablo 2 where u can just build a hammerdin 10 years later and dominate with the same build... things change every season

This post was edited by WiLLZiLLA on Jan 24 2023 12:55am
Gold: 0.00
Jan 27 2023 05:14pm
Quote (Snyft2 @ 22 Jan 2023 23:26)
similar except much lower player time value

in d2 you could do a week of diablo runs and be set for endgame pretty much, which is duels

in pvp you can grind a year and not be set for endgame. which is not duels. there is no duels. there is also no endgame. in poe you need to kill stuff fast to get gear to kill stuff faster :mellow:

also you might wanna avoid chat because everything gets you muted

nn fgs

but if you want a d2 clone, poe is not it. may have been at some point, but now its more like d3 than d2. oh and watch for predatory monetization, buy only what you absolutely need (which is premium tab, currency tab, map tab, and a few more tabs), if you plan on playing more than a week or so :wacko:

I am new as well. I am happy that you compare it more to D3 than D2. It confirms how I feel so far trying this game. I told this to my friends who love this game while I am going through the campaign and they got mad :lol:
I am on my first playthrough, I looked at no guide and its damn easy so far. I am now in Act 7 and maybe I will hit a wall before the end of Act10.... who knows...

I really feel everything I do before I can drop items with an item level high enough to craft great items (83 or something), every crafting I could do is completely irrelevant and a waste of currency. I will still complete the campaign, but I might stop right there... as the character development so far feels numb and empty... at this point they should let you skip campaign and access directly the end like they did in D3...

End games seem entertaining, but they seem to become irrelevant after every patch when a new end game becomes available... so... as it was already this in this discussion... what you have can be useless from any day to another... I guess I will just enjoy the rest of the campaign and maybe this game is just not for me! :)

Go Back To Path of Exile Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll