d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Nvme Concern
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 49,007.05
Jan 22 2023 12:18pm
So this morning I went to open up Steam and said "The drive or network connection that the shortcut.."

Looked at my device manager and it showed my Samsung 980 2GB NVME was not connected.

Restarted my PC and booted into bios and it showed connected so I started up windows and saw it connected and everything working just fine.

Anything I should be worried about? Connection of the NVME to the MOBO looks fine. Never had this issue before. Its a new PC though barely a month old. Dont want to have future problems.

Any help or advice is appreciated.
Gold: 2,971.74
Trader: Mediator
Jan 22 2023 01:17pm
does your motherboard have multiple nvme drive locations? should be using the one closest to the mobo.

i'd maybe check the seating of it in your mobo as well, make sure it's pushed all the way in with the contacts and then lightly tightened.

if you have more concerns you can download crystaldiskinfo and look at the S.M.A.R.T errors and see if theres anything that looks weird
Jan 22 2023 01:36pm
Quote (Candyzcanes @ Jan 22 2023 01:17pm)
does your motherboard have multiple nvme drive locations? should be using the one closest to the mobo.

i'd maybe check the seating of it in your mobo as well, make sure it's pushed all the way in with the contacts and then lightly tightened.

if you have more concerns you can download crystaldiskinfo and look at the S.M.A.R.T errors and see if theres anything that looks weird

There is two slots. Below my GPU and above my GPU.

Asus x570 MOBO.

Im not understanding "closest to the MOBO" . I am using both . Bottom one has a 500GB WD. Top has the Samsung 2TB NVME.
Jan 22 2023 01:38pm
Quote (LongClip @ Jan 22 2023 12:36pm)
There is two slots. Below my GPU and above my GPU.

Asus x570 MOBO.

Im not understanding "closest to the MOBO" . I am using both . Bottom one has a 500GB WD. Top has the Samsung 2TB NVME.

sorry, i meant closest to CPU. your primary drive should always be the one closest to your CPU, so sounds like its configured correctly. SMART data should have some info in there if something went wrong or id still check seating

and if it was your samsung drive you can run the samsung magician tool and it tells you all the info, can also upgrade firmware on it

This post was edited by Candyzcanes on Jan 22 2023 01:42pm
Jan 22 2023 03:50pm
Quote (Candyzcanes @ Jan 22 2023 01:38pm)
sorry, i meant closest to CPU. your primary drive should always be the one closest to your CPU, so sounds like its configured correctly. SMART data should have some info in there if something went wrong or id still check seating

and if it was your samsung drive you can run the samsung magician tool and it tells you all the info, can also upgrade firmware on it

Everything on crystaldisk looks good. I will check to see how it sits next.
Jan 22 2023 04:02pm
Quote (Candyzcanes @ Jan 22 2023 01:38pm)

Seem to be sitting fine. Took out and reinstalled quick just to make sure. The aftermarket heatsink I have for it makes it sit pretty much perfectly level. There is no flex to it at all.

I guess ill monitor it. Just worried me a bit when windows couldnt find my main NVME. :(
Jan 22 2023 04:07pm
Quote (LongClip @ Jan 22 2023 03:02pm)
Seem to be sitting fine. Took out and reinstalled quick just to make sure. The aftermarket heatsink I have for it makes it sit pretty much perfectly level. There is no flex to it at all.

I guess ill monitor it. Just worried me a bit when windows couldnt find my main NVME. :(

yeah unfortunately there's not much troubleshooting you can do for that, if there is no SMART error it would make me lead to think its a motherboard issue. might want to update your bios to be sure there was no updates there.
a lot of people just don't push NVME drives in all the way when installing as well and it leads to intermittent issues as there isn't any mechanical latch or anything that holds them in place to verify proper seating
Jan 22 2023 04:16pm
Quote (Candyzcanes @ Jan 22 2023 04:07pm)
yeah unfortunately there's not much troubleshooting you can do for that, if there is no SMART error it would make me lead to think its a motherboard issue. might want to update your bios to be sure there was no updates there.
a lot of people just don't push NVME drives in all the way when installing as well and it leads to intermittent issues as there isn't any mechanical latch or anything that holds them in place to verify proper seating

Good info. Thanks again!
Gold: 20,950.54
Jan 24 2023 06:27am
Had the same problem which at first I thought it was just a glitch then other problems eventually cropped up - BSOD when running games but temps are fine and no OC, xmp kept failing. Then the drive at first I thought failed as after a BSOD got a please insert boot disc went back into Bios and it is detecting the drive moved it into another m.2 slot and it booted but got bsod again. I put it down to 2 things board is failing(very likely) PSU failing (possible but for an m.2 slot to bork it is unlikely)

Basically the PCI-e slots were failing and the m.2 uses it as well, when I replaced the board everything was running far better than it did previously so the board was bottlenecking my performance as well. Had 2 x570 gigabyte aorus boards fail - never buying another board from them.
Jan 25 2023 07:29pm
Quote (Yurihyuga @ Jan 24 2023 06:27am)
Had the same problem which at first I thought it was just a glitch then other problems eventually cropped up - BSOD when running games but temps are fine and no OC, xmp kept failing. Then the drive at first I thought failed as after a BSOD got a please insert boot disc went back into Bios and it is detecting the drive moved it into another m.2 slot and it booted but got bsod again. I put it down to 2 things board is failing(very likely) PSU failing (possible but for an m.2 slot to bork it is unlikely)

Basically the PCI-e slots were failing and the m.2 uses it as well, when I replaced the board everything was running far better than it did previously so the board was bottlenecking my performance as well. Had 2 x570 gigabyte aorus boards fail - never buying another board from them.

Ill keep an eye on this issue for sure. Nothing has happened yet since removing and reinstalling.. I really hope its not the MOBO its just such a pain removing everything and installing a new one. It is what it is though.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll