d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Psu/gpu Debug Help
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 38,461.33
Jan 18 2023 06:37pm
I built this rig for my daughter in 2019 to play games. However, we also use it to connect to the TV and stream certain movies/shows (the PC is on a desk next to the mounted TV).

About a month ago, I connected the same HDMI cable to the GPU as always when we are going to stream something to the TV and then went to connect the HDMI cable to the TV and sparks flew at the point of contact near the TV's HDMI ports and completely fried the TV. You could smell the burning of the TV.

I got a new TV through an insurance claim with xfinity (that's a different story) and this time I had the TV turned off and tried to connect the PC again to the TV's HDMI port. Once again, sparks flew as soon as the cable got near the HDMI port. However, this time it did not fry the TV.

some facts:
1) I can connect this PC to a monitor and no issues occur.
2) I can connect another PC to the TV using the same HDMI cable without any trouble.
3) I have an xfinity cable box also connected to the TV and a coax cable is connected to the xfinity box.

I suspect this is a PSU issue and not a GPU issue. I also suspect the sparks flying have something to do with the COAX cable being connected and the computer trying to flow its ground circuit through it.

My question is if anyone has any suggestions on how I could test the PSU/GPU with a multimeter to determine what is at fault. Normally, I would just swap the PSU/GPU and see if the problem still exists, but I really don't want to risk the TV.

This post was edited by Favre on Jan 18 2023 06:38pm
Gold: 2,971.74
Trader: Mediator
Jan 19 2023 10:50am
definitely sounds like a grounding issue.. have you verified that all your connectors on your GPU (and PSU if it is a modular) are completely seated into their respective sockets? Is the GPU card contacting the PC case (where you screw it into the case)? Double check the seating of the GPU in the socket itself. Main power cord completely seated in the back of the PC? Cord for PC in wall completely, or is it in a power bar? If its a PC it should be plugged directly into a wall and perhaps you have a fried power bar as well.

Have you tested another PC on the same outlet to connect to a TV? Maybe the outlet itself has grounding issues?

If all of those questions are answered correctly, then I would be jumping to your PSU.
Gold: 38,461.33
Jan 20 2023 05:59am
Quote (Candyzcanes @ Jan 19 2023 11:50am)
definitely sounds like a grounding issue.. have you verified that all your connectors on your GPU (and PSU if it is a modular) are completely seated into their respective sockets? Is the GPU card contacting the PC case (where you screw it into the case)? Double check the seating of the GPU in the socket itself. Main power cord completely seated in the back of the PC? Cord for PC in wall completely, or is it in a power bar? If its a PC it should be plugged directly into a wall and perhaps you have a fried power bar as well.

Have you tested another PC on the same outlet to connect to a TV? Maybe the outlet itself has grounding issues?

If all of those questions are answered correctly, then I would be jumping to your PSU.

The PSU is modular. I will triple check the connections. I also borrowed a inline GFCI from a friend to see if that will trip. I'll follow up.

Yes I have tested another PC to the same tv on the same outlets and no issues.

I just find it very strange that the PC can connect to a monitor without issues, but has issues connecting to the a TV.
Gold: 2,971.74
Trader: Mediator
Jan 20 2023 07:30am
Quote (Favre @ Jan 20 2023 04:59am)
The PSU is modular. I will triple check the connections. I also borrowed a inline GFCI from a friend to see if that will trip. I'll follow up.

Yes I have tested another PC to the same tv on the same outlets and no issues.

I just find it very strange that the PC can connect to a monitor without issues, but has issues connecting to the a TV.

Does the TV have a ground prong? Does the monitor?

I've seen some crazy stuff happen with hdmi cables..
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll