d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Christian Fellowship > Using Our Spiritual Gifts
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 2,016.00
Jan 12 2023 12:46am
Have you thought of the precious gifts you’ve been given—the ability to comfort, to encourage, to admonish, to bring peace and mercy, to preach and teach? Are you able to share knowledge, proclaim God’s word boldly, and/or help those in need? May we take a moment to reflect on what our gifts are, earnestly pray God would help us identify and develop them, and put them to good use for the sake of bringing light into this dark world.

“I soon found that I could not be content unless I was found exercising my gift. Not only did preaching the Word of God enliven me, but I was encouraged by the continual desires of the godly and also by that saying of Paul to the Corinthians: Now I urge you, brethren (you know the household of Stephanas, that they were the first fruits of Achaia, and that they have devoted themselves for ministry to the saints), that you also be in subjection to such men and to everyone who helps in the work and labors (1 Corinthians 16:15-16).
By this text I saw that the Holy Spirit never intended that men who have gifts and abilities should bury them in the earth but rather commanded and stirred them up to exercise their gift, and also commended those who were able and ready to do so: They have devoted themselves for ministry to the saints. This verse in these days continually ran through my mind to encourage and strengthen me in this, my work for God. I have also been encouraged from several other verses and from examples of the godly, both specified in the Word and those in other ancient histories (for example: Acts 8:4; 18:24-25; 1 Peter 4:10; Romans 12:6; Foxe’s Book of Martyrs).”

Excerpt From
Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners
John Bunyan
https://books.apple.com/us/book/grace-abounding-to-the-chief-of-sinners/id1326314505
This material may be protected by copyright.

Here is a helpful link that can aide you in exploring what spiritual gifts are, along with other helpful messages concerning this topic:
https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-study/topical-studies/a-comprehensive-spiritual-gifts-list-to-discover-your-gifts-and-calling.html
Gold: 62.77
Jan 12 2023 02:00am
I think one of the best ways for us to find out our spiritual gifts is to jump in and start using them. When we do that, we'll notice that some gifts are more enjoyable and natural to us. Those are the gifts that we want to strengthen. We strengthen our gifts by using them.

I also would like to note that our spiritual gifts are to help bring others to Christ and to lift up our family in Christ but that doesn't mean that we should only use our gifts in the church building. We should be using our spiritual gifts everyday and everywhere.

And yes, we should absolutely be in prayer to find out what our spiritual gifts are and how to use them to advance the kingdom.
Gold: 2,016.00
Jan 13 2023 10:47pm
Quote (wraps @ Jan 12 2023 01:00am)
I think one of the best ways for us to find out our spiritual gifts is to jump in and start using them. When we do that, we'll notice that some gifts are more enjoyable and natural to us. Those are the gifts that we want to strengthen. We strengthen our gifts by using them.

I also would like to note that our spiritual gifts are to help bring others to Christ and to lift up our family in Christ but that doesn't mean that we should only use our gifts in the church building. We should be using our spiritual gifts everyday and everywhere.

And yes, we should absolutely be in prayer to find out what our spiritual gifts are and how to use them to advance the kingdom.

Thank you for your reply, brother. I agree. It reminds me of the verse from James 2:14-17, “14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.” Works is very important to faith as well as the development of our gifts. I think it can be said with confidence that works brings the gifts to life, keeps them alive, and strengthens them.
Gold: 62.77
Jan 14 2023 11:48am
Quote (WizardKiller @ Jan 13 2023 10:47pm)
Thank you for your reply, brother. I agree. It reminds me of the verse from James 2:14-17, “14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.” Works is very important to faith as well as the development of our gifts. I think it can be said with confidence that works brings the gifts to life, keeps them alive, and strengthens them.

I totally agree with you.

We can have all the spiritual gifts but they will be useless if we don't use them. It's like the saying goes, if we don't use them we'll lose them.

I appreciate that you posted more than just verse 14. A lot of people stop at verse 14 and run away thinking that we have to work for our salvation. James explains it well after that. We can tell people all day long that we are Christians but it doesn't do much good unless we show them with our works. In showing them with our works, we're loving others and showing them what Christ can do for them.
Go Back To Christian Fellowship Topic List
Add Reply New Topic